• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sign in to follow this  
TammyAnne

Health issues seem resolved. Now a cancer survivor.

TammyAnne

I met with my general practitioner in May, because I was having some abdominal "discomfort", told the doctor something just didn't feel right.

so I was scheduled for a colonoscopy, edoscopy, CAT scan, kidney ultrasound, plus lots of bloodwork.

I am 7 weeks out of surgery that removed a cancerous (low grade thank goodness) tumor in my stomach. While Oncology will be my follow up friend forever after, I'm considered cancer free.

Since my therapist/gender counselor had insisted we wait til issues were resolved before meeting with the docs to go forward with HRT, I will be set to move forward in late October.

Hurray.

Bottom line, if something doesn't feel right, pay attention!

VickySGV

Looks like you are on the way!   I had a cancer scare a few months after my GCS, but luckily not the real thing so I have a small idea of how you must feel about this.

MiraM

I'm glad that they were able to get it all and you are now Cancer free.  That has to be a wonderful feeling.  I was diagnosed in March with Hurthle Cell Cancer of the Thyroid, and had a total thyroidectomy.  while my lab work is all normal, my latest ultrasound showed several lymph nodes in my neck that they suspect may have metastatic cancer in them.  At this point, my doctors are taking a watch and see approach, as they don't seem to be growing at the moment.  They say I am a Cancer Survivor, but won't declare me as 'cancer free'  yet.  Maybe one day.

Again, I am so happy that they have said you are cancer free.  A cancer diagnosis is a very traumatic thing and is life changing.

TammyAnne

It's been a rollercoaster ride for sure.

Thank you both for the encouragement - for a while I was afraid of all sorts of possible disasters. But now that I'm over the hump, I'm starting to feel brave in all areas of my life.

Late October sees a series of doctor appointments with primary care, oncology & therapy. I expect to get my hormone panel workup then. My informed consent statement was completed in April, but everything had been on hold pending surgery.

I'm on vacation until mid-October.

But my heart has been searching out its path, and my comfort level with myself has grown.

(Insert happy dance here!)

Jani
19 minutes ago, TammyAnne said:

It's been a rollercoaster ride for sure.

Oh Yes!  I had cancer and so has my spouse.  The whole process from finding out to surgery to healing can be draining emotionally as well as physically.  I am glad to hear you are considered cancer free.  So now you should be able to pursue HRT which is great news.  Enjoy your vacation! 

Jani

TammyAnne
5 hours ago, Jani said:

Oh Yes!  I had cancer and so has my spouse.  The whole process from finding out to surgery to healing can be draining emotionally as well as physically.  I am glad to hear you are considered cancer free.  So now you should be able to pursue HRT which is great news.  Enjoy your vacation! 

Jani

Although the VA often has a questionable track record for care, with me they were very prompt, flexible to accommodate my travel plans, and very sweet to me. Made me feel very reassured.

I am so thankful.

Also glad to hear that you and your spouse are on the other side of that ordeal.

When medical people start dodging around the "c" word, it certainly raises the fear level.

Paying attention to your body is so important. If something doesn't feel right, it's very important to get it checked out. Avoiding the doctors can be fatal!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 73 Guests (See full list)

• VickySGV
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

MattM
    Newest Member
    MattM

1. Arianna
      Arianna
      (23 years old)
    • Carolyn Marie
      Welcome to Trans Pulse, Mark.  If you're looking for support, this is a great place for it.  Ask any question, start threads, whatever you need, we'll be there for you.   HUGS   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      Awesome!   Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/09/19/hud-secretary-ben-carson-makes-dismissive-comments-about-transgender-people-angering-agency-staff/?fbclid=IwAR0FqFpp4S_aQnZ4wQjMxgwtOoEMnpKTt546kVc3LnfkVOaB4PUuOGT1ByU     Given his past statements, I have no doubts that what he's alleged to have said is accurate.  He is a disgrace and needs to be gone, even before his boss is.   Carolyn Marie
    • Jani
      Greetings Markjvp.  Your intro was fine.  Telling our family, especially at a young age is fraught with peril so I can relate to your story.  I am guessing you are about 16 so you still have some time to go before you graduate High School and can move out on your own, or go to college.  I know the time seems long, but in reality it's not.  Focus on your education as it will sustain you for the rest of your life.     As to starting transition, if that is your goal, a couple years will not make a huge difference.  You want to remain at home where you have a roof over your head and meals to eat.  Don't do anything rash.  Your family may or may not ever get "fixed" as this is their choice to understand.  Your choice is to be the best you that you can be.  Look around there are other stories like yours here.     Cheers, Jani
    • Jani
      This is so good to read that you have found the way to sobriety that suits you.  You have so much to be happy and grateful for, especially for the inner strength you posses.  Yeah for you!  You will get over your shyness and insecurity in due time.  I believe in you.  Your sponsor sounds like a caring person.     Hugs, Jani
    • michelle_kitten
      Mmmm.  I see it all the time.  Christians feel attacked by Atheists.  Atheists feel attacked by Christians.  Gays feel attacked by straights.  Straights feel attacked by gays.  Trans-people feel attacked by cis people and vice-a-versa.  The tendency to tribe is natural, and I am not sure it is entirely driven by some ancient arms race, but it is certainly there.   I used to work in a game store.  People would come in to use our tables for their D&D games.  I've seen tons of different types of D&D games.  If you're not familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, it is part game and part story telling.  In the game, the players are faced with all sorts of moral dilemmas.  Do we attack the big ugly ogre guarding the imprisoned princess, trick him into going away, or bargain with him.  As part of the game, you decide whether your character is good or evil, and you are expected to play your character accordingly.   What I discovered was two things:   1) the groups which were most successful were the one's who shared the same overall world view.  These were the groups who stayed together the longest, played most often together, and were most harmonious in their play.   2) Different people have very different definitions or concepts of what is good and evil.   This lead me to observe other types of social groups.  Lots of social groups are arranged around common interests, like sports, coin collecting, Amish bluegrass music translated into Japanese, or whatever.  More importantly, groups are places where people practice and affirm a shared world-view in each other.  The more they are aligned with each other's world-view, the more successful and harmonious the group.  Throw a person in, who shares the same base interests, but has a different world-view and conflict will arise, ending in the odd person being forced out or leaving on their own accord.   The problem comes when groups are so attached to their shared world-view, or individual identities are so connected to their world-view that people participate in confirmation bias.  One of the biggest problems in American politics is all sides have their source of information carefully filtered for them, where they see only the stories which reinforce their world-view and are often not exposed to information which would challenge their world-view.  People will deliberately remain ignorant to hold to their 'side.'  Leftists like the stories of gun-toting hicks saying stupid things on the news, while the right likes the see the liberal who is so out of touch with reality they don't know north from south, and both side are saying "See! See! My side is better!!!"  When you go to either side, and say "No, you misunderstand. Let me clarify," the response is akin to children plugging their ears and chanting "La La La La!" to drown out a contrary view.  This is intellectual dishonesty in its deepest form and reprehensible in most cases.   This is the threat to the LGBTQIA+ community, not those who are just ignorant or afraid, but those willfully and dishonestly ignorant and afraid, and just as much to the extent we are also willfully ignorant and afraid.
    • VickySGV
      https://deadline.com/2019/09/gideon-adlon-lovie-simone-zoey-luna-cailee-spaeny-the-craft-blumhouse-sony-1202737052/?fbclid=IwAR0PLyUScC5H1mZwSorGpGtXL8iGY5X_5TkGl0I8XQqqCBYWMwuOze9CopU   I am an "honorary aunt" to Zoe Luna who is playing one of the roles here, the others are Trans girls as well.
    • onaquest
      I haven't been around here much lately, for that matter on Inet much, But I've been just dying to share, where I'm at today, and that is full of gratitude. I passed 2 years back in July, That's big, but life today is huge. I was in recovery some 20 years ago when transition started. Coming out wase, "Thatcatastrophic, and after too much struggle, I used, that was the only way I could see an end to my pain. Well, that didn't work, and tried recovery a couple more times, but put my dysphoria on the back burner, get clean, then back to transition was my thinking, well, that didn't work either. After 10 more years of active addiction, I really understood, addiction, I checked into rehab, and told them right off, "I am trans" No back burner this time, just a raucus plowing into Step1. Now, 2 years and a couple months later, I'm still clean and am going to a women's retreat for the whole weekend. Yes, my shyness and insecurities are just screaming, but that's disease. I am secure in the love of the fellowship. My sponsor and her sponsor will be doing a workshop on self acceptance. I am just soooo many things, scared, excited, shy, insecure, but for the most part, just absolutely grateful! This is such growth for me. I know many trans struggle with substances, addiction, and all the mess that goes with it, but there is a clear message :That an addict, ANY addict, can stop using, lose the desire to use, and find a new way to live
    • Josie Beth
      Goats are very cute. They almost remind me of dogs when they wag their tails and try to get rubbed on their heads. Baby goats are lots of fun and like playing. I once helped care for a weak baby goat and the poor thing just needed some human contact. It gained its appetite and in no time was walking around again. Once it was ok then the mother accepted it back but initially I almost think she was going to just let it die. It’s amazing how animals can express gratitude, friendship, and even love without saying a word. I don’t think i’v ever met an animal that didn’t like me. Maybe at first they would be a little leery but they usually would warm up. I truly believe that not just people have souls. How else can you explain a dog saying goodbye and then dying a couple days later? OMG, I’m fighting back tears. I always remember my animal friends. They have often been more real than people. 
    • MaryEllen
      Hello Markjvp, Welcome to TransPulse. Take a look around at the various forums and I'm sure you'll find answers to some of your questions. Feel free to ask questions, We'll do our best to provide answers.   MaryEllen   
    • Markjvp
      I forgot to say that I’m also here at trans pulse to at least get a little support
    • Markjvp
      I don’t really know how to introduce myself so I’m just going to say what my whole life has basically been. Well from the moment I could remember things which was when I was about 4 it started pretty good but soon when I was 7 things slowly went down hill for me sure I still live in a house but this family needs to get fixed also the transgender feeling started I think about the end of grade 8 which was about 2 years ago and it’s still with me and some things I like to do are play games and just hanging out with people if they’re the right ones for me also i don’t fully know if I’m trans so I’m trying to figure it out still.
    • Debra Michelle
      Our first dance song
    • Debra Michelle
      My husband and I  love this song,both ZZ Top fans.Our first dance when we got married 4 years ago  
    • SaraAW
      That’s great.  Glad to hear it went so well.    I think I’ll look into nearby schools with Hair and Aesthetics programs for a similar offering. 
  • Upcoming Events