• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Choosing a Therapist

Janae

Sorry if this question has already been asked. It looks like a lot of folks have good things to say about a GT. Where I live, the search tool on this forum does not provide any GT.  But when I google Gender Therapists I get a link to “Psychology Today” and then that brings up a few names.

They have a bunch of various letters behind the names. What qualifications should I be looking for? 

I am.thinking I will narrow the list by qualifications and then maybe send an email and ask if they have had transgender patients and how many. A lot of the bio’s indicate most are recent grads and fairly young. While I realize a young therapist needs to start somewhere, I think this is a subject that could be difficult to address.  There are both male and female therapists- I would be more comfortable with a female therapist.  I think I would be apprehensive to go to a male.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. ❤️

Janae

• Forum Moderator

Personally i found my therapists by asking other trans folks i knew who they used.

In our area there are several support groups so i had folks i could ask.  

Unfortunately i don't know the meaning of many of the letter qualifications mean.  A personal recommendation seems more important.

Let us know how it goes and if you find someone you like please let us know so it can be passed on for others in your vicinity.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I found my therapist through Psychology Today.  I had to look up the terms.  Mine was a LCMHC, Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor.   Understand that the higher the degree or certification, the pricier the treatment will be.  A friend went to a psychologist and I am not convinced they were better treated than I.  Just don't be put off by licensed  therapists vs. degreed ones.  As far as male or female, you need to go where you feel comfortable.  The first appointment will be an introduction where you can see if you are comfortable with their demeanor, style, views on treatment, etc.  

All my best,

Jani 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes thank you.  I’m due to see a therapist next Friday.  I’m excited.  I’m also a bit scared.  Actually talking to a live person face to face is a scary thing when I’ve been so secretive and hidden all these years.  Kinda like admitting things out loud vs in my mind.