• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

AJ Baumann

New to Community

AJ Baumann

Hi everyone, I am AJ and a 65-year old TG woman who came out this Spring. Am enjoying my journey so far and hope to start my hormone therapy treatments next month! So yes, I am excited and blessed by having having a loving soulmate and a supportive Doctor and Counselor.

I hope to learn from others that input to the various boards as there are many questions one has and issues one runs into daily.

I love tbe outdoors and enjoy animals, music, cards, fly-fishing & bocce.

We love to travel and are very happy to own a wee Toll House in Scotland to visit.

Cheers to all,

AJ Baumann

SamanthaC

Hi AJ - Welcome!!! Looking forward to hearing more about you journey - you've certainly come to the right place!

JustineM

Welcome AJ! This forum has been a fantastic source of information and support. Look forward to hearing more about your journey.

Jani

Hello AJ and welcome!  You're not alone in starting this journey later in life.  I think you're at right place for advise and conversation about the ups and downs of daily life.  We have members at all stages of life and all around the world.   It sounds like you have a great life there in Oregon.  You can't miss! 

As the song goes,  

"Best is yet to come and babe won't that be fine
You think you've seen the sun
But you ain't seen it shine"

Cheers, Jani

SaraAW

Welcome AJ. Thanks for sharing, hope to hear more. 

*hugs*

Sara

TammyAnne

Welcome AJ! Indeed, it seems a lot of us have waited a long time before setting out on the path. Even if it the journey seems to start out solitary, there's a crowd of us coming along!

Robin68

Welcome AJ! It is encouraging to see others like you coming out in your sixties. I am 68 and it gives me hope.

Robin68 

Charlize

Welcome AJ.

Hugs,

Charlize

Susan R

A warm Welcome to you, AJ!  I thank God every day for my loving wife and her support.  That will make your transition so much easier.  I simply don't think I could have continued on my journey without her in my life.  You know how blessed you are, I'm sure.

Glad you found us,

Susan R🌷

AJ Baumann
6 hours ago, Susan R said:

A warm Welcome to you, AJ!  I thank God every day for my loving wife and her support.  That will make your transition so much easier.  I simply don't think I could have continued on my journey without her in my life.  You know how blessed you are, I'm sure.

Glad you found us,

Susan R🌷

Thank you Susan, I know you are right. We are both blessed. I couldn't do this without her support.   Many mates seem to have issues and leave or mistreat their partner. We are lucky..AJ

AJ Baumann
11 hours ago, Robin68 said:

Welcome AJ! It is encouraging to see others like you coming out in your sixties. I am 68 and it gives me hope.

Robin68 

Hi Robin, it is a journey we have been waiting for our entire lives.  As they say with the kids grown and retired, now was an okay time for "me". It is certainly a bit different with some things at this age, but I am being me and happy now.

Thx, AJ

AJ Baumann

Hi folks,

I am confident for myself but worried about others processing my "news" about AJ.  I am in a very rural and conservative area & drive 90 miles to find support folks and my Doctors. In my area, with my 40 year history here, coming out is not going to be easy.....for those who have woked with me or socialized with me. I think I will send a "Dear Friends" letter out to those closer to us so I wouldn't suprise them when they see me locally about.  Any thoughts? I know I will shock & may lose some of them as closer friends. AJ

Jani

Understand that while a letter may be a good approach for some instances, I'm not sure about a wide distribution as it may be circulated beyond what you desire, sooner than you want.  I don't know how many people you are talking about but if small you might try face to face meetings (maybe in small groups) so you can answer questions and gain true support and understanding.   

AJ Baumann
52 minutes ago, Jani said:

Understand that while a letter may be a good approach for some instances, I'm not sure about a wide distribution as it may be circulated beyond what you desire, sooner than you want.  I don't know how many people you are talking about but if small you might try face to face meetings (maybe in small groups) so you can answer questions and gain true support and understanding.   

Thanks Jani, there are about 12 couples mainly that we socialize with. I too worry though that information to them does get back to my daughter who has area connections.  I plan to come out to her and my son-inlaw plus my bother in November. My folks have passed.  I wouldn't send this out until after Thanksgiving. My brother is distant in Minnesota while my daughter is close. 

My concern is alleviating their suprise and worry when they first meet AJ.

TammyAnne

I like the idea of small, face to face group meetings.

Since I also live in a rural area in a small town, I find myself worrying about the inevitable reactions of ignorant people. Mostly I keep to myself.

I can identify with your concerns. Wish I could offer a solution.

But I think keeping it small and low key is good.

AJ Baumann
4 hours ago, TammyAnne said:

I like the idea of small, face to face group meetings.

Since I also live in a rural area in a small town, I find myself worrying about the inevitable reactions of ignorant people. Mostly I keep to myself.

I can identify with your concerns. Wish I could offer a solution.

But I think keeping it small and low key is good.

Thanks TammyAnne, I agree keeping it small will likely work best. What I wonder mostly is how to help others become more comfortable with me.  I know that the Kubler-Ross Grief Cycle of denial;anger;bargaining;depression & acceptace stages will apply for many. I recognize that for some...maybe most, initial reactions to my TG self will be "loss".  Loss of a brother, husband, friend, Dad etc., inst

TammyAnne
16 hours ago, AJ Baumann said:

Thanks TammyAnne, I agree keeping it small will likely work best. What I wonder mostly is how to help others become more comfortable with me.  I know that the Kubler-Ross Grief Cycle of denial;anger;bargaining;depression & acceptace stages will apply for many. I recognize that for some...maybe most, initial reactions to my TG self will be "loss".  Loss of a brother, husband, friend, Dad etc., inst

As I found in therapy, sometimes those stages get jumbled, disorderly or even combined - denial/anger, etc. My therapist had to keep reminding me that going through cycle doesn't mean it's done, that it can recycle for a while depending on how someone's process is working.

In the case of rural neighbors I'm not expecting many of them to want to work on the process much - some may go to denial and stay stuck there. But I expect there will be some who take things in stride and accept the changes.

Wishing you the best in your path as things develop.

gennee

Hi AJ and welcome.

😊

AJ Baumann

Thanks gennee. It is nice to find supportive community 💚 AJ