• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hillary: My Decision to Stay With Bill Was Like Parenting a Trans Child

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I am going to wait until some of my Mamma Bear friends get into this one.  I can slightly see it, but to me it is a little stomach turning.   Then again, I AM TRANS.

I hope there are a lot more and better chosen words that were not quoted that elucidated her point much better. In the current context, not a fan of the way that comes across.  

• Forum Moderator

There is a huge distinction she doesn't see.  Staying married was her decision as to her life.  Supporting a trans child has to do with supporting someone else in their life.

Perhaps she had someone who supported her decision to stay married.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Exactly. As a parent, you have one job: Love your children. Period.

Some parents have trouble with that. Mine certainly do, but mine had trouble with that before I came out to them so I probably should have seen that coming.

You stay with your spouse because they love and support you and you love and support them. It's a partnership based on mutual love and respect. When I came out to my wife, she was initially shocked, but came to accept that being trans is part of who I am. We've become closer as a result and I love her more than ever.

I'm not sure how I feel about Hillary's decision with Bill, but I definitely don't agree with her choice of comparing Bill with raising a trans child. That's a huge difference. That's the difference between loving and nurturing your child and trying to repair a broken bond of trust with your spouse. Your trans child didn't do anything besides trust you with a part of themselves. Your cheating spouse broke a bond of trust. It's like comparing apples to dirty dishes.

That's a quality metaphor right there. One you can choose to love or not, the other needs some work before you can use it as intended.

• Admin

I am seeing the responses of my Mamma Bear friends to this one and while mildly sympathetic to Hillary, the consensus is"NOOOOOOOO  this is not what you can compare to since you are not his mother!  Several of them are in the process of writing to her personally.  Again, their responses are not hateful, but they are motherly.