• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Server Relocation and Upgrade: Potential Downtime

Dev

• Admin

Evening everyone!  Our amazing hostess, from whom we rent the server space for the site, has signed a contract with a different data center.  What this means for us is that, after things get moved, we'll be operating from a server with a bit more power.  A couple of options were presented to me; either one is an improvement, though we may not notice much of anything on the forum front end.  Nothing is changing in terms of site administration, so I said I hope she'll put us wherever is easier for her to manage.

For those curious, our current data center is in New Jersey.  After sometime next week, we'll be in Washington, DC.  Piper, being the hosting goddess she is, is taking all the steps she can to make sure we don't see any downtime.  We all know Murphy's law, though, so if you come to browse the site sometime next week and can't access it, please just give it a while and try again.  She'll be overseeing every step of the process, so if something does go down she'll know when it happens.

As our chat service is hosted on Discord, it will stay up and running regardless.  If you use the chat page to launch Discord within your browser, you won't be able to get in during any potential downtime.  If this is how you normally use chat, your username and password will work on the Discord main website - https://discordapp.com - as well.  Once you sign in there it'll show all the servers you're a member of.

In case you need it, you can join our server using this invite link:  https://discord.gg/VsFcPve

It's not likely there will be any problems anywhere, but in case there is a hiccup we all appreciate your patience!

• Admin

Blow the whistle,, ring the bell and this loco will move!!  Hopeful hopeful.

Thank you Dev. I’ve done migrations, usually a couple minor hiccups, but nothing major, I m sure this will be the same or better. 

• Forum Moderator

i'm pulling the sheets back over my head and crossing my fingers.

Thanks for keeping things rolling and improving.

Hugs,

Charlize

Quick question.

Do we still come under state laws of idaho?

27 TransPulse is hosted on servers physically located in the United States. As content on our servers is stored within the United States, US law prevails in consideration of any legalities. By your use of this site, you agree to the jurisdiction of the United States - more specifically, Ada County in the State of Idaho.

or will it now be Washington as the server has moved?

By the way. keep up the good work. It isnt an easy job and i wouldnt like to do the server side of things personally.

Thank you for your time and work.

• Admin
6 hours ago, Maid In Bedlam said:

Do we still come under state laws of idaho?

For legal purposes, we're still in Idaho.  That's where I made us official, and it's where I am, so anything legal happens here.

Thanks Dev .

continuing from 2017 then.

Just wanted an update on safe harbour policy and EU GDPR. So much the same then. Not that the fiorum has much Private/Personal data. But its nice to know where its standpoint is. As far as im aware. Washington being a diffrent state perhpas holds diffrent requirements regarding the storage of personal data and interlectual property rights. 

Anyway. Thanks for the update

Note taken.

Thank you for your server ?

4 hours ago, Maid In Bedlam said:

Thanks Dev .

continuing from 2017 then.

Just wanted an update on safe harbour policy and EU GDPR. So much the same then. Not that the fiorum has much Private/Personal data. But its nice to know where its standpoint is. As far as im aware. Washington being a diffrent state perhpas holds diffrent requirements regarding the storage of personal data and interlectual property rights. 

Anyway. Thanks for the update

Note taken.

Thank you for your server ?

One of those confusing things.

I read that the server will be in Washington, District of Columbia (DC), which is the national capital district, on the opposite coast of the state of Washington. DC has its legal status only through the nation and lacks a state constitution.

Sure hope for smooth sailing for the migration. I did that once, a long time ago. Lots of code bits to check. Hope everything goes well!

• Admin

No state can set their own copyright laws, those are national and international.  Electronic communication is under the Federal Communications Commission as well so that is national as well.  Where state laws come into effect would be where someone with a law suit would have to file the suit and would also involve some of the rights to damages or protection for certain acts.  Be sure you have an attorney if you decide to sue us. 

With respect Vicky. Whos sueing who?

I was just asking about. State laws and if they was changing? Because the server was moving.

It is better to know who is in charge of data than to be without knowledged to the issue.

Im sorry you feel that you need to be on the offence or to take offence to my question. If that was the case. It was neither intended or insinuated.

We all have a right to privacy and how that right is being instigated. Would you not agree?

Our ip addresses are im sure logged on every visit. Just that would be enough for identification to within  a small area of the planet.

In europe we are bound by The General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 Obviously that does not apply in the United states. Unless it falls within a safe harbour policy. Therefore it nice to know data from the Uk and Europe is handled with the same care as it would be if held in europe. Hense the original question.

Should your statement not have been particulally directed at my question regarding data protection then may i aplogise to you for my lack of empathy towald your nations data regulations and where those regulations are enforced. I am sure the United states has strict laws on the protection of data. But its nice to know these things. Considering we agree to them on registration.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Maid In Bedlam said:

Im sorry you feel that you need to be on the offence or to take offence to my question.

Mine was just explanation of our legal relations here, not mean to be defensive at all.  I have been in the legal world here in the U.S. since the early 70's and know (too much) about our legal system here.  (Law degree) Not to mention I have a Federal Communications Commission license in all of this too.  It would take court intervention to access our non-public portions of this site and then, there would be "good cause" and cause defined to need the information.  As I say, not intent for defensiveness, just saying it as a teacher and lawyer which I have been.

NOTE -- I am not on the legal advisory staff of the site, just an old mouthy lady with a legal background.

47 minutes ago, VickySGV said:

Mine was just explanation of our legal relations here, not mean to be defensive at all.

As I said No Malice was intended. I am without doubt you have a greater knowledge of laws relating to the United states than I would. As I am not native or pretend to have any expertise on such Federal law it assertains to.

If you ask me about what season is the best to see the wild flowers on my small but lovely estate here then i would be more than able to advise you. Even what season is best for Black grouse to be flushed. But data and federal law i remain in your shadow.

I have a O level in maths and Physics and a qualification in art but i be honest. I wasnt really that good at it. I have no idea how i passed. But i was quite outstanding in Physical education. Even get an award for it somewhere. All aquired at my comprehensive school. So no knowledge on laws pretaining to data protection other than a overwhelming need for self preservation and what is known about GDPR by self analysis and what we need to know for estate business and such like. Which isnt much. I only have the gardener and he comes once a month regular. He does the windows to which is no easy task. One of my boys did law in college but never took it up as a career which was a shame really.

I feel it only right to take this opotunity to also thank you for your dedication to the forum. Along with the other moderators who all do an outstanding job. Without you all we would be in a proper pickle to be sure.

Also once again to dev. Proper job

• Admin
9 hours ago, Maid In Bedlam said:

It is better to know who is in charge of data than to be without knowledged to the issue.

Legally speaking?  Me.  We're in compliance with the GDPR as far as it affects us.  When members request their accounts to be removed, we wipe any and all identifying information they provided us on registration.  That goes for anyone in the world; it's just the way we've always done it, because we've always taken privacy seriously.

Where the safe harbor provisions of the DMCA are concerned, we are covered by that as our members aren't restricted as to what they can post.  I'm also the DMCA agent for TransPulse; if I were to receive a complaint about infringement, I'd be the one passing it along to the member in question.  Given that we don't post memes and images here, other than the occasional pic we take with our own cameras, I don't ever expect to get one.  I'm ready if it happens, but I'll have to pick my jaw up off the floor first. ;)