• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

No real review but questions on stuff, devices, products.

ShawnaLeigh

Ok so I like many others, I have wasted way to much money on products that claim this or that and simply did not do a thing.  At least for me. Some are outrageous on how much they cost with little support to them actually working.

Items such as suction therapy on breast and/or nipples.  Creams that "slow" hair growth on your face.  Hair removal (other then electrolysis) 

Do these products really work?

I have tried breast suction devices and even bought Noogle suction therapy and during the "procedure" I achieve a nice full breast.  C cups and bigger!  Excitement threw the roof.!!!  The potential for future boob size!  One second later its back to man boobs.  I realize any sort of therapy that increases the size of anything has to be done over a long period of time.  For a long period of time per day 7 days a week.  Who can do this?  Especially if your not out yet.  Ultimately in my estimation on how this "should" work, the device will stretch my chest skin and hope that fat fills it in.  It will of course not build breast tissue.  (Or at least I do not think it will.)  It does supply the breast and nipples with tissue building blood flow.  So maybe.  Its way to easy to over use these or use them wrong.  IE: to much suction.  I know....

Nipple suction I have seen ok results.  However I was taking hormones and blockers too.  So not sure if it was the pills or the suction or the combination.  At this point I did see results.  My nipples were very small and no areola.  Little boy small even as an adult.  I have increased the size by double though that's still not female size or shape.  I use an inverted nipple suction cup for breastfeeding mothers, (sorry I do not know the brand of the top of my head).  Its compact and strong but comfortable to wear long term.  Strong enough to stay on while your sleeping or to work out with.  The Snake Bite cups are brutal in my opinion.  Ouch.

I have yet to try any of the hair growth slowing creams for your face, or other areas, as I do not want to waste money and time.  If they do indeed work then please send me a product to try.

Hair removal.  The bane of my inner and outer women.  I hate body hair.  I hated it with a passion. It make me want to quiver with repulsion.  Yes, I am somewhat hairy.  Some places no but legs butt and fore arms, I'm an ape.  I have only had access and the obvious instant success with shaving but lets face it.  What a pain in all senses of the word.  The pickiness once regrowth starts is brutal in certain regions.  Feels gross under clothing and that is after it stops hurting.  Shaving bumps suck.  No better way to state that. 

I recently tried the use an epilator for coarse hair.  Damn girl that's not pain free either!  Over a few weeks I "conditioned" myself to just take it.  Beautiful can be painful.  In the end my regrowth was a few day beyond shaving but again it was a chore to do my whole body.  Some areas no way.  Still get "shaving bumps too".  (Sigh)

Laser is probably a no go for me.   I am old.  LOL 

A lot of my hairs are turning grey/white and white or light colored hairs do not respond well to laser treatments. So I've read.  It does kind of make my beard less noticeable being mostly white to gray after shaving.  But I still have enough dark hairs to be noticeable.  My body hair is still very dark so maybe there.  But do the home DIY home devices work or are they a waste of money?

Electrolysis is way out of my financial means, probably always will be. Though I know it is the most successful treatment for permanent hair removal.  But takes a long time and many treatments to get where you want to be.  If only.... (dreams and wishes)

So please help a girl out and suggest what really works.  Please chime in and let me know what your experiences have been and if you have found success.

Thank you all for the help.

• Forum Moderator

The adage "if's it's too good tone true, it probably is" applies here.  All the items you mention are attempts to lighten your wallet.  Even the use of an elpilator will result in return of the hair.  Laser is not inexpensive nor is is permanent although you may see some positive results.  Interestingly all these items promise pain free results. Ha!  With hair removal, think what you are doing.  It will be painful.  Electrolysis is not inexpensive and not a one time deal either.  There are only a few successful processes for adding or removing hair.  

The only successful method for any of this to go the professional route and have it done properly.  Sorry but that's it.  

Thank you for the reply.  I was hoping for a magic cure but deep down knew better.

I understand that the real deal will cost and big.  Time and money.  Something most of us don't have a surplus of.  

Or

Keep buying razors.  LOL

• Forum Moderator

What Jani said. Unfortunately there's no magic wand. I so wish, but wishing doesn't work either. Herbal products are a bad idea for a variety of reasons from, "It doesn't work and cost a mint," to "It doesn't work and gave me an exciting new health problem." The same goes for vacuum pumps. You do not want to throw a clot.

Honestly all these products are looking to make a buck off of someone else's moment of desperation. Where you'll try ANYTHING to get just a little closer to your goal. The people who peddle such problems should be pecked by perturbed penguins until they repent.

Breast massage along with hormone therapy (under the supervision of an endocrinologist) helps a little. Your mileage may vary. It's pain free though.

I can't comment on hair removal though. I was "gifted" with alopecia universallis for my 39th birthday. I'm going to look on the bright side and say, "At least I don't have to shave anything." I have found that most SRS surgeons in the states won't touch you unless you've had electrolysis in the "target area" for at least a year though. Made scheduling my surgery a challenge.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator
6 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Honestly all these products are looking to make a buck off of someone else's moment of desperation.

This is the one guaranteed item they don't talk about! 

As to electrolysis, I am just over four years and 240 hours.  I told my electrologist (who's become a great friend) if I had known I would still be on the table four years later I would have cried.  Oh wait!  I did cry, but from the pain when she zapped hair on my lip.  But everything gets easier and I am almost finished.   With just a number of white hairs on the neck to go, I rarely wear makeup now unless I'm doing something special.  I've achieved my goal of blending in and being one of the girls when I am out.   

TL:DR  There is no easy road to success (or happiness).  You gotta work for it! 

• 3 months later...

Nipple suction I have seen ok results

A few years ago I wanted more noticeable nipples, and I asked my dermatologist if it was possible to "plump up" my nipples with collagen, much like some women do with their lips.

She said she had never seen it done, but she thought it would work. She would purchase a container of collagen, and inject my nips as needed (I guess collagen injections need to be refreshed from time to time.), and keep the collagen in her fridge just for my use.

I didn't have it done, but I'm keeping it i mind. If I have extra money after surgery, I may pursue it again.

JM2¢W

• 4 months later...
On 10/16/2019 at 6:07 AM, ShawnaLeigh said:

I have yet to try any of the hair growth slowing creams for your face, or other areas, as I do not want to waste money and time.  If they do indeed work then please send me a product to try.

@ShawnaLeigh, I just found this thread.  If you (or anyone else) is still in need of a hair growth inhibitor, there is a prescription product I used to use that works.  Can I put a prescription product name here?  It's called  VANIQA® and it does slow hair growth and makes it finer.  (If that got edited let me know and I'll PM it to you).  I used it for several years.  It took a few weeks to start seeing the effect.  It wasn't cheap ($70-80 IIRC) but I was lucky my insurance covered it.  It's only a small tube (3-4 oz??) prescribed specifically for facial hair.  Covering the face and neck was about the limit for a one month supply.  It might not work for everybody since it includes the instruction, "If no improvements are seen after 6 months of use, discontinue use."

I did notice a side-effect though... it seemed like my skin got a little bumpy.  It was like the hair was swelling underneath the skin but not coming out.  It wasn't bad, unnoticeable to most others, but it bothered me a little not having perfectly smooth skin.  But not having stubble was worth it!  When I changed jobs and lost that insurance I lost access to it.  I have been plucking ever since which has reduced my facial hair by about 75-80%.

31 minutes ago, RobynNYC said:

@Tori M how long did it take to start seeing results?

The Vaniqa?  Hard to remember for sure. I think I started to notice a change in a couple of weeks, but it was several weeks before the effects became obvious.  It reduced shaving from every day to about every 3-4 days.  The added benefit was that the hair became finer, but I had also started HRT a few weeks before the Vaniqa, so the two probably were working together.  I remember that a few weeks after running out of it, the hair got a little thicker and more frequent, but of course the hormones prevented the return of "normal" growth.  Then I had to shave every other day at least.  The difference was enough that I tried to find it on the gray market but couldn't.

Tweezing has been a long, slow, cheap solution.  I had no money for electrolysis at the time so I just made tweezing part of my daily routine.  15 years later I have eliminated most of my facial/neck hair.  Still working on a little bit in the chin and lip areas.  I haven't shaved in 15 years.  Initially, that was a 1-2 hour per day task, but dropped quickly; now it's about 10-20 minutes every 3-4 days.  It would be even shorter but the remaining hairs are so fine now they're harder to find and pull without breaking.  After getting used to it, it's not as painful as one might think.  Yes, initially there were some tears but now that only happens if the hair is right at my nose.  Pores/follicles have shrunk and the skin in the beard area is almost as smooth as my cheeks.  This is without any hormones for the past 7 years.

Determination?  Obsessed?  You betcha... I've hated the idea of having facial hair since before it started growing.