• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

An Eye Opener

Guest S. Chrissie

Guest S. Chrissie

Hey there.

So I've talked about Sarah Allis Yang in another thread and that she will be ministering and sharing her own story about being delivered from homsexuality and stuff. Well, apparently she ministered to a small group of church members tonight too, and I attended it.

She ministered about prophetic evangelism, about prophesizing and how everyone of us can prophesize.

"In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prpophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams." Acts 2:17

Bla bla bla.....I tried to be open about this, but I can't help but be sceptical. Seriously, prophesizing about a stranger's future, talents, personality and dreams?? Sounds really far fetched. :huh: Sarah shared about her stories of prophesizing about strangers and how it somehow changed them. She received these "prophecies" through hints in the form of Scriptures, pictures, impresisons, feelings and etc. It was like, WOW! Unbelievable!

Nearing the end of the session, Sarah had us did 3 activities, finding fellow attendees that we don't know to partner with and then try to prophesize the partner we have through the Holy Spirit. :mellow: Below are the interpretation of those "prophecies" about me, which is really interesting and amazing. Then again, I cannot say 100% that it would be true, it might be utter coincidences or who knows?

1st try :Asking the Holy Spirit for an image of an animal that represent the person you are partnered with.

My partner instead of seeing an animal, described seeing a long oval metallic thingy instead. He said the metallic thingy seems mechanical and it's upright. Really not much sense...but the first thing that came to my mind was Eve from Wall-E. Okay....so she fits the decription, more or less, but what does that mean? My partner couldn't come up with his interpretation of it since he doesn't know what that "animal" is. So I came up with my own interpretation instead. In the movie, Eve was initially an emotionless robot that just works when directed without a sense of self and identity, but as the story goes on, she developed her own identity and eventually learn to love. That might mean me finding my identity as a girl after years of struggling with the initial fake self that I tried to be.

2nd try :Asking the Holy Spirit for an image of a car that represent another person that you are a stranger to.

My partner came up with an old model of a Proton Saga. A Malaysian made car that probably isn't too popular in the US or UK or anywhere in the world. And the car was in bright yellow. At first, the image doesn't really made sense and I just listened to my partner interpreting it for me saying that, the old model Proton Saga might mean I have consistency and I am down-to-Earth, that I've been through alot of struggle that made me have strong determination to achieve whatever I want in Life (obviously being a girl :P ) The yellow might mean patience, patience and patience in waiting for what you want. :huh: Uh...o...kay....but then, the "patience" caught my attention. Just earlier, I was struggling with myself on whether to start on blockers soon or wait until it's my semester break in July. I couldn't make up my mind and the thought of waiting any longer was hard to bear. Well, in a way, I felt that the person's interpretation was somehow linked to my struggle earlier in the day.

3rd try :Asking the Holy Spirit for a random image that represent a 3rd stranger.

This time, it's even more amazing. The person said that he saw me in a cape, flying through the sky and I had the ability to see through walls and to find injustice and evil crimes or stuff. And in my right hand was an almighty sword that could struck down anything :blink: Well, the thing that immediately struck me was my complaint in the chatroom 2 days ago. I was complaining about how I found out the government had banned and removed books related to gender variance and that those books will never pass the customs dept. and how ignorant the local society about transgenderism, relating it to sex and homosexuality. I then told the chatroom that I plan to educate my coursemates during my presentation of my "ideal job" in class. I chose gender therapist as my "ideal job" and plan to pound the class with transgenderism facts and stuff. So yeah...in a way, I am fighting injustice by trying to change my fellow classmates' mindset and ingnorance about gender variance issues. I am a tad weirded out :blink:

Well, how true are they?? I will probably never know. But if it is true, then it can't be denied that God gave me the resolution to my problems and God's stance in my identity issues. Then again, people can just make up those interpretation :P I know I did for one of the tries on animal. The other 2, one on car(orange SUV) and another a random image(I saw an image of my high school teacher teaching in class), I nailed them quite accurately based on the first image that came into my mind (one was a president of some clubs and another was in the field of teaching and educating and touching lives of others)

Prophetic Evangelism. What's your thought about it?

And if you don't mind, anyone can share THEIR experiences and encounters with God that gave them the Resolution, the Answer or anything that lead them down the road of Transition. :rolleyes:

In God's Sacred Service,

Sherlyn

My problem with all of this type of thing is the amazing amout on interpretation that has to go into it - they ask you to see them as an animal, a car and as someone else - why not see them as they will be after all it is prophetic.

I'm sorry, I am a Christian but prophecies are much like horosopes and intintionaly vague so as to be interpreted to fit the event when it does come along.

to me they are just what you read into them - fun like Oui-Ja boards and tarot cards, but I don't really try to interpret them as a guide to my life either - haven't trusted any of that since my magic 8 ball lied to me.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Madison_Always

I dont believe everyone can prophecy. Why? Because of what Paul says in galatians about spiritual gifts. He says that each person is given gifts, one of which is prophecy, and that each person should use their gifts to further Gods kingdom and to complement each others gifts. However I will not say that God could not use anyone to deliver whatever message He wants. :)

Guest April63

Everyone can prophesy and receive revelation, but that doesn't mean you can make a prophecy about some random person. You can receive revelation about your stewardship. In other words, if you are a parent, you can receive revelation about how to best lead and raise your children, but you cannot receive revelation for someone else's children.

And from your exercise, I think those are just coincidences. You are purposefully looking for similarities in what was "prophesied" and your own life.

Guest S. Chrissie

@Sally

True about the interpretation, I had to think hard to come up with something that gives meaning to the images :P Then again,

"For we know in p[art and we prophesy in part... " 1 Co 13:9

I guess it wasn't supposed to be easy in the first place.

@Chelsea

I dont believe everyone can prophecy. Why? Because of what Paul says in galatians about spiritual gifts. He says that each person is given gifts, one of which is prophecy,

Ummm?? You don't believe or is there typo?? XD Since it seems the former and latter are contradictory.

@April

Interesting enough, Sarah kept saying "No mates or dates.(Dates as in time) And that it is hard to prophesize accurately over family and those you're are interested in, because you will get your emotions in your way and that will changes a lot about it. There must have been lots of coincidences last night :P

You know, I should have asked Sarah to prophesize for me :P and see what I get.

Sherlyn

Guest S. Chrissie

Oh yeah, today, they (the speaker and members of the churchs) are going to the mall to "test-drive" thei 'prophesizing" prowess on strangers in the mall. Too bad I couldn't go as I have a freshmen lunch to attend. Or else I would tag along them, and instead of prophesizing, I could observe instead.

Believable or not, they are fascinating. Well, I am hoping to see similar stuff tonight in the official ministry. :P

Sherlyn

Guest April63

There is a verse in the Bible somewhere that says you can't prophesy about other people that you do not have under your stewardship. But I forgot the verse. Maybe I'll find it.

I really am a strange person - I do not want to know the future and that is whay prophecy is all about - a prophet who predicts the past is called an Historian.

There is an old song by Garth Brooks called "The Dance" and in it's lyrics he says that "our lives are better left to chance" and goes on to explain that if you were to know the outcome of each relationship that you could avoid a lot of pain but in the end you would have to miss "The Dance".

I could not find the origianl video that was run when Garth released this - with images of people who are no longer with us - John Wayne (died of lung cancer from smoking), JFK, Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. ( all assasinated) but this one is actually Garth performing - so many covers and the sense of lose is there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eJjITS0zb0

The question for me is how much do I really want to know.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Evan_J

Six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Everyone can prophesy and receive revelation, but that doesn't mean you can make a prophecy about some random person. You can receive revelation about your stewardship. In other words, if you are a parent, you can receive revelation about how to best lead and raise your children, but you cannot receive revelation for someone else's children......

I'm going to have to go with April on this one.

HOWEVER (oh relax April, you knew it'd be there ;) ) I differ on what I define "stewardship" as. Stewardship might exist between two persons who are intended to in His plan to cross paths, it also could be "a broad group" as in the case of a nation. In either of those cases however, I think a "sense " of the stewardship occuring would be revealed.

As far as this "theatrical" type demo? No. I think it is very much along the lines of horoscopes, psychic pals, and those who claim other paranormal "powers" ; designed in vaguery to lead the audience to create their own "accuracy".

I'm sorry darlin, I'm all about people seeing Gods hand in their everyday life but I've never known God to be Vague. And I've also never known him to need to "prove" his interventions in scripted displays with "mental creativity.

Guest S. Chrissie

Very interesting sound Sally :D I think i fell in love with it.

There is a verse in the Bible somewhere that says you can't prophesy about other people that you do not have under your stewardship. But I forgot the verse. Maybe I'll find it.

Interesting, do find that out XD I could question her tonight if you could find it out before that time. I don't recall any verses that says that, so I don't know where to look.

As far as this "theatrical" type demo? No. I think it is very much along the lines of horoscopes, psychic pals, and those who claim other paranormal "powers" ; designed in vaguery to lead the audience to create their own "accuracy".

I'm sorry darlin, but I've never known God to be Vague. And I've also never known him to need to "prove" his interventions in scripted displays.

:lol: I always had the impression God was always Vague and stuff. *shrugs* I am still kinda skeptical about it, but hey, that's not something want to let my brain work on too much about. Who knows, those that are in touch with God for a long time might be able to do it, but I doubt "average" laypeople would be able to do that. Sarah was sharing about how she saw a stranger on the street in Berkeley and it somehow reminded her of her friend (facial features? body shape?? I don't know) and she felt the urge to talk to him o.O Then she ran after that guy and said "Hey, I think God wants me to tell you that, you will be in politics and you will grow in that field...." (she said soemthing about having the vision of the word senator or mayor of California :huh: XD anyway, you guys in the States can check that out in the future, ask the mayor or whoever if a woman told him that he will succeed in politics :lol: )

That guy's friends were kinda shocked and told her that he was interested in politics since he was a child and he was studying political science at that moment. So yeah :rolleyes:

And I do agree with Sally. I don't think I would want to know the outcomes that happen my Life.(So you are not strange Sally) I'd rather follow the river down and be anticipated with whatever that will be waiting for me at the other bent. Then again, I am even stranger, I would really want to know when my life ends. So that I will not procrastinate :P Tomorrow, tomorrow and tomorrow..countless tomorrows. Then again, I would think that most people will worry about their death and find ways to avoid it instead of cherishing their available time if they were to know it.

Psalm 90:9, 12 - For all our days pass away under your wrath; we bring our years to an end like a sigh. So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.

Sherlyn

Guest Madison_Always

S.Chrissie I was saying that out of all the talents (tongues, healing, interpretation of tongues, prophecy etc) prophecy is one that can be given to certain people and not others. I believe in prophecy, I mean half of the old testament is prophecy, but I dont believe everyone is blessed with the gift of prophecy. I hope that helped. :)

Guest S. Chrissie

Ahh..that made sense XD Thanks for clearing that up. Not too sure about that though :unsure: In Corinthians 14:1 it was said "Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy."

You know, it's interesting to see Christians contradict themselves by using the Bible :P Someone can find a verse that say and another one can say it's the opposite.

Sherlyn

Guest Sarinah

I believe in prophets and false prophets. I think the only person who can get a glimpse of an individuals future is that individual. There are some who are gifted with seeing the greater picture but they cannot see an individuals future. As with all gifts, without interpretation through the Holy Spirit they will not give you the truth.

Asking someone to say the first animal/object/whatever that pops in your head and then use that to make assumptions about someones lives, that is not prophecy it is conjecture. Any fool can tell you some broad generalizations that will in some way hold true at some point in your life.

Prophecy should also have a clear purpose. For example many of the Old Testament prophecies were that if the tribes of Isreal didnt turn from their evil ways they would be conquered. The prophecy served as a warning and a last chance. Prophets in the Old Testament werent just fortune tellers they served to guide the people back into righteousness. Jesus was the last prophet in that way. Since Jesus we were given the gift of the Holy Spirit so that each of us who believes in Jesus would have our own guide to righteousness.

Sorry I will get off my soap box now.

Guest Justme

The Bible says it is subject to interpretation. And I believe the reason why, is because God wants us all to have a unique relationship with Him. It also says to be aware of false prophets...and to test the spirits .....if they are good or bad. Some of the stuff you have mentioned...especially the idea of an animal that relates to you. goes back to Native American beliefs. And to find your totem animal. is somthing a person does for themselves. I am 1/2 abenaki, so I say that from experience. I also beleive in God and the Bible. In my opinion, this person sounds like she is out to get people to believe in her. Believing the messenger and not the message. But, like I said, that's just my opinion. So, when you see her again, just pay attention to the gut feelings you get. . as to the truth or non=truth of it all. Trust your gut....God is not a God of confusion.

Guest Madison_Always

It does say to desire the greater gifts in that passage but in context the corinthians were putting to much emphasis on speaking tongues. In some cases they believed if you could not speak tongues you were not saved. Paul was telling the Corinthians to desire the greater gifts or the gifts that benifit others. Tongues is a spiritual connection between one person and God. Prophecy is God conecting with many people. Paul is trying to get emphasis off the importance of tongues.To desire does not equal getting

I have a different take on speaking in tongues - I believe that it meant that the disciples went into the other nations and spoke in their own language and it waas understood by everyone - not the televagalist blend with the "Emperor's New Clothes" - 'if I close my eyes and raise my hands and start ranting in odd gutteral sounds and you do not understand send me money so that you might be saved.'

I believe that whe God has a message for you it will be very clear - not necessarily in a vision but in a sign that you are either on the right or wrong path.

There was a movie in the height of the cold war with all of the low budget horror and sci-fi films it was over looked - but it might still be around somewhere if you have the time to look.

It was about a strange radio and Television broadcast simultaneously heard around the world in each country's native language - the title was "The Next Voice You Hear" and that voice was God's. - that fit with my view of speaking in touges.

There is so much of the Bible that can be used to be uplifting and positive but in so many cases the same passages can be used to cause distress - I try to see them as uplifting, you can take the other side but I feel that I have a happier life with my path - the choice is yours.

Listen to everyone about their beliefs but don't accept them if you don't feel that they are better than yours - Prophecies and curing transsexuals are a little bit beyond my faith - I don't believe that we are meant to know about the future and I think that we are who we are by design and not by accident - I may never have the ability to fully transition (it is very expensive) and yet my life has a new meaning after so many years of 'wondering in the desert' I have found a place that I am needed and can help - it is here in Laura's Playground and I feel so much more complete than I ever have.

I was lead here through a series of what most people would call signs, but I am here and doing what I believe that I was meant to do, help others.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest S. Chrissie

This discussion is getting interesting, as least for me :) Glad to see everyone gave their views.

Asking someone to say the first animal/object/whatever that pops in your head and then use that to make assumptions about someones lives, that is not prophecy it is conjecture. Any fool can tell you some broad generalizations that will in some way hold true at some point in your life.

Yeah, I believe that after today's talk in church. Sarah might have the gift of prophesizing, but I doubt the team of ministry of the churches that attended truly have the gift. They gave assumptions and stuff.

About the Gift of Tongues, I believe that it means speaking in an existing languages that you've never learnt before, as Sally said in her post. But I've seen the churches that I went with members speaking in repetitive syllable that does not make sense. Sure, they said that the Gift of Tongue is to speak DIRECTLY to God and to praise him, then again, what good it is if people can't understand it? I am quite surprised when someone told me that you need a certain "special person" or "prophet" or someone to interpret it. looking at the Bible, hey, doesn't everyone understands the diciples when they spoke?

There is so much of the Bible that can be used to be uplifting and positive but in so many cases the same passages can be used to cause distress - I try to see them as uplifting, you can take the other side but I feel that I have a happier life with my path - the choice is yours.

Very true. But it is human nature to focus on the negative part of things, especially when using it on others.

Listen to everyone about their beliefs but don't accept them if you don't feel that they are better than yours

That's why I said "Thoughts?" at the near end of my initial post :) It has be fasination of mine to see what everyone has to say from different view points.

Anyway, it's 1am and I am tired. I just came back from the "official ministry" by Sarah. It really was more or less a let down. I am disappointed by it, somehow, it was as inspiring as I thought, then again...she's not dealing with a house full of homosexuals or whatever. <_<

I will update about it tomorrow.

By the way, I am the same ol' Sherlyn :rolleyes: Well, with a few new thoughts, that is.

Hugs

Sherlyn

By the way, I am the same ol' Sherlyn :rolleyes: Well, with a few new thoughts, that is.

You will always be the same ol' Sherlyn with a few new thoughts because you are a very smart person with a questioning mind, but not susceptible to following the crowd unless the crowd is going your way.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Evan_J
I have a different take on speaking in tongues - I believe that it meant that the disciples went into the other nations and spoke in their own language and it waas understood by everyone ,,,,,
Ditto.
I believe that whe God has a message for you it will be very clear - not necessarily in a vision but in a sign that you are either on the right or wrong path.

Ditto again :)

(careful sis, this is how they ended up callin us "the Ditto Twins" in daycare)

I don't think God is ever vague. If he wants you to know he's pretty clear. Its that people don't always want the answer they get :) I'm included in that, I'm not exempt. We want the answer to be something different or want an answer when none was given. And sometimes one is not given. Sometimes one is not needed.