• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Just a little update

JustineM

It’s been an interesting couple of weeks here. I’ve mentioned my work issues that have been causing issues in a different post so I won’t go into that. Had a very nice encounter a couple weeks ago. I had a weekend off and had done up my makeup, wig on and a full length skirt. Wife had ordered pizza and when it got there I actually got the nerve to answer the door. Driver was a very nice gentleman that kept referring to me as “ma’am”. 

On the medical front I go see both my GP and endocrinologist on Monday. I plan to talk to both of them about coming off the T treatments so I can start getting everything together to go on Estrogen. No idea how I’m going to bring it up and quite frankly I’m kinda terrified, but it WILL be discussed. I just hope they don’t want to check my BP or pulse afterwards. ?

• Forum Moderator

That sounds a nice encounter Justine. Although I have not been in exactly that situation with medical things, my approach would be to discuss things as professionally as they should, ie such that it is just another everyday thing not to be worried about. That is much of my approach to life these days. It keeps me relaxed and better able to cope with unexpected situations.

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

Good weekend Justine!  As to your doctor as Tracy noted just bring it up calmly and clearly.  You'll be fine.  

Jani

Well I’m a little ashamed to report that after nearly giving myself a panic attack waiting on him, telling my endocrine dr about being trans was a non-issue. All I got was a raised eyebrow and a “well we definitely need to stop your shots.” Also talked to my Family Dr about it, again with the raised eyebrows, a couple questions and that was about it. He mentioned he had a couple other trans patients and might ask them about local support groups for me. 

@Jani @tracy_j you can say “I told you so” ?.

My endocrine isgoing to refer me to a therapist so I can get that started. I also talked to my insurance company and they have labeled all Trans-related treatments as cosmetic and not covered. So I will be looking for new insurance.

• Forum Moderator
44 minutes ago, JustineM said:

you can say “I told you so” ?.

We wouldn't do that!   But we knew you'd be all right.   I'm happy to hear you spoke to both your doctors, but be careful about the panic attacks!  Not good.   

Too bad about your current insurance.  Hopefully you can find a better plan.  

Cheers, Jani

Yeah unfortunately I have pretty bad anxiety, it has gotten me into problems before.  Thank you for the support though, it really did help. I have been looking at other plans and the one offered through my company actually does cover trans-related healthcare, including a pathway for getting SRS covered. It’s just more expensive and I have unfortunately missed the enrollment period for this year. 

However according to my Dr, my current plan may be forced to cover at least the therapist so I can at least get that started. Not sure if he means under Wisconsin law or under the ACA act. 

• Forum Moderator

Not to worry about your health plan quite yet.  Your doctor is correct about therapy as its a fairly common benefit.  Your plan most likely covers it now.  Therapists do not report on why you are there other than using standard coding when they submit their invoice to the insurance company.  Mine was a clear early on that she used the one for "generalized anxiety" which in all honesty was correct.  My therapist was a LMHC who treated many issues but specialized in gender issues.  This is what you need to search for when looking for a counselor.  Note: a PhD or Doctor (psychologist) will typically charge substantially more per hour.

All my best, Jani

• Forum Moderator

I am glad things went well Justine. I would never say 'I told you so' either. Steady and relaxed! I find it's easier to remember and plan.

Tracy

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 4:46 AM, JustineM said:

It’s been an interesting couple of weeks here. I’ve mentioned my work issues that have been causing issues in a different post so I won’t go into that. Had a very nice encounter a couple weeks ago. I had a weekend off and had done up my makeup, wig on and a full length skirt. Wife had ordered pizza and when it got there I actually got the nerve to answer the door. Driver was a very nice gentleman that kept referring to me as “ma’am”. 

On the medical front I go see both my GP and endocrinologist on Monday. I plan to talk to both of them about coming off the T treatments so I can start getting everything together to go on Estrogen. No idea how I’m going to bring it up and quite frankly I’m kinda terrified, but it WILL be discussed. I just hope they don’t want to check my BP or pulse afterwards. ?

Hi Justine, so glad to hear you had a good experience. I have a very supportive mum and sister. Both of them are not lacking in the boob department my mum is an F cup and my sister an GG cup, I’m now pushing an E Cup, and I love my boobs so much.

my first positive experience was with my sister when we went to the hair salon, I was so nervous I was dressed in a nice maxi dress and wedges, niceoxaicrylic nails and fresh summery make up. My sister had done my eyeshadow and mascara and it looked fab. I had been using a mobile hairdresser but always longed for the salon experience. After having my hair washed the stylist Lynne sotarted to put rollers in. I remember fee Long so feminine and the salon was busy and I didn’t feel out of place. Rollers in, scarf on I was under the dryer then rollers out andcthecresult ..... beautiful bouncy curls and feeling so sexy. It’s these positive experiences that keep me pushing for my dream of becoming 100% female x

• 3 weeks later...

OMG OMG OMG! I finally went out of the house dressed and makeup! Needed a few things from the grocery store so I bit the bullet and went. 
Minimal makeup,( I’ve been working on yard work all day), Jean skirt with leggings and a pink long sleeve shirt. Had my wig of course and prosthetics. 
Had no issues, even got called ma’am a couple times. 

4 hours ago, JustineM said:

OMG OMG OMG! I finally went out of the house dressed and makeup! Needed a few things from the grocery store so I bit the bullet and went. 
Minimal makeup,( I’ve been working on yard work all day), Jean skirt with leggings and a pink long sleeve shirt. Had my wig of course and prosthetics. 

I can’t wait to be able to do this.  Seems like a long ways off for me.  
Congrats on getting things rolling!

• Forum Moderator
4 hours ago, JustineM said:

Yeah for you!  Now that wasn't to difficult, was it? 

Cheers, Jani

@ShawnaLeigh you can do it! It took me a couple hours to actually work up to it, but I plan on going to Pride fest here in a couple months so I figured I had to do it sometime. 
@Jani not near as bad as I was afraid of.

To everyone thank you so much for the encouragement. It has really helped me. 

And the good news week continues! Got the call this morning that insurance has finally approved my therapist! Finally got an appt!

40 minutes ago, JustineM said:

And the good news week continues! Got the call this morning that insurance has finally approved my therapist! Finally got an appt!

Nice!  Congrats.  Best thing I’ve ever done.  

On 11/25/2019 at 1:22 PM, JustineM said:

OMG OMG OMG! I finally went out of the house dressed and makeup

Yay!! I’ve only dreamt of this! Gratz!

3 hours ago, JustineM said:

Another congratulations!! Wooohooo! ??

On 11/26/2019 at 1:09 PM, Ellora said:

Another congratulations!! Wooohooo! ??

Congrats JM.. its crazy the only person I fear when I go out now is me..Keep judging myself, but get better..Congrats again 

• 1 month later...

Feeling pretty today. Practiced with contour and highlighting, definitely an improvement over the last time I tried.  Need a LOT more practice with eyeliner, it was so bad I just had to remove it.  But all in all definitely getting better.

7DB9E57C-76FE-4958-B42F-9A86CD5DD2AE.jpeg

• Forum Moderator

I know how you feel. My last foray into eyeliner country was... tragic is probably the best word I could use. Nice job on the rest though! Makeup is a skill I want to master, but... Susan doesn't wear any. My mother never wore any... Nobody to learn from. Right now I'm looking for someone who will give me lessons and take my special snowflake sensitive skin into consideration so I don't turn into a walking rash.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Don't worry about not being able to apply it well.  As @Jackie C. noted with her spouse and mother, there are quite a few women who do not wear it.  I've found that it irritates my eyes, consequently I cannot recall the last time I wore any.  

Your eyebrows look very nice.  Be careful with that razor!

Jani  

1 hour ago, Jani said:

Your eyebrows look very nice.  Be careful with that razor!

Jani  

It’s actually just some brushed powder. I didn’t shave or pluck anything.

• Forum Moderator

Looking good Justine! I don't often use eyeliner as I find it tricky to apply and it is easy to get eye irritation, as Jani says. I have a small eyeliner brush though that does make things easier. I find that I can dampen it and use it to get colour off an eyeliner pencil and apply very subtly. This works well but is not obvious which is perhaps better. Just taking more time than I usually have lol.

Tracy

I am so jealous of your hair !  It looks amazing and exactly how I want mine to look.  

I can not give makeup tips so I am just reading them all given to you.  LOL