• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Need hair style advice.

ShawnaLeigh

You can see by my small pic I had longer hair.  I do not currently since going back to a military type male cut.  Well a tad longer but still very male.  
I would like to find a style that can be multi sexed in nature.  Long enough to style it cute but short enough to present male when needed.  
Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  I know.  
If I’d just come out I wouldn’t need to deal with this. 
I’m not there yet.  But I am getting tired of seeing just a male in the mirror. 
I realize I could just search images online.  But would love your opinion or pics.  

• Admin

Your best bet is going to be on a wig site and looking there.  Even while presenting male my hair got down to my collar top, but I was a wig girl from a very short cut on.  Wigs.com, WilshireWigs.com and Acewigs.com were candy store sites for me.

• Forum Moderator

I've got a wig store in walking distance. Getting fitted was WAY more fun than I thought it would be. Learning wig care... less fun, but a fundamental skill for me. I should emphasize that: If you get a wig, learn how to take care of one. I'd get a cheap one first to learn on... well, I DID get a cheap one first to learn on, but the curve is steeper than you think.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Nah, I love having long hair. You should just be aware that it's more upkeep than you think. If you're working a bald spot, you're going to want to consider wigs and/or weaves. It's not like there AREN'T bald women, but I'm incredibly self-conscious about my hair loss and again, I feel like I have to girl a little harder than a cis woman because I lack the advantage of genetics. Also, without my hair I look... well, looked... a lot like Uncle Fester from the Addams Family. Not cool. Now I just look entirely too much like my grandfather.

So yeah, the wig helps me sell my presentation. They say, "Shake and Go" but that's a dirty, dirty lie. I own more hair products now than I did when I had hair. In your shoes, I'd probably keep my hair short so it fits under a wig cap and use a wig when I'm out and about. You get used to it fairly quickly. Just plan on a couple extra minutes in the morning for wig care and maintenance. -- I take about 5-10 minutes every morning. Longer when I wash it. That's about a two-hour affair for the wash and dry.

Still, you do you. Whatever makes you the most comfortable, right? Just because I'm super-sensitive doesn't mean you need to be.

Hugs!

• Admin

I put some wig information in this Gallery a few years ago about wearing wigs.  https://www.transgenderpulse.com/forums/gallery/album/1573-wigging-out/

And some more in this one on hair pieces that work well.  There are wiglets especially for bald places that even cis women have that are useful for us.   https://www.transgenderpulse.com/forums/gallery/album/1349-hair-piece-madness/

Have fun though and go to a wig store is one is not too far away they are pretty closed mouth since they deal with medical patients, which we are to some degree.

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, VickySGV said:

Have fun though and go to a wig store

This is great advice ...even if you don't plan on using a wig in the future.  Being able to see what works with your coloring and face shape is priceless.  You can then try to emulate that with your natural hair.  If you can get a picture with you in your favorite wigs so that you show your hair stylist what you're aiming for.

Back some 34 years ago, I bought what I thought I wanted and assumed it was the best style for me.  I went into a small wig shop, tried on 2 different wigs and quickly said, "that's the one!" bought it and left.  From that day forward, I always bought that exact same style and length wig.  Even when I came back out last year, I did the same thing and ordered the same wig I wore when back in my 20's.

My wife convinced me to go to a nice wig shop and try on several wigs in different lengths, styles and colors.  She was sure there was a better look for me.

We showed up when the shop first opened at 10am.  There was no one else there except us and the two owners.  One of the owners spent an hour or so with me and I tried on over a dozen different wigs. I got to see so many completely different styles on my face.  I quickly saw what worked and what didn't.  I kept going back to this one that was much different than what I originally thought I wanted but was pleasantly surprised about my choice.  I still have it and it's a nice back up in case Ihave a bad haircut...which happens.

Good Luck,

Susan R?

hey Vicki sit really help me. In my profile pic I am wearing one of the wigs..there some great deals.

I have a few different wigs and I have found that they have to be conditioned with fabric softener. They just behave better. And it takes away any unnatural shine from synthetic wigs. I can then pretty easily pass a brush through the hair and it snaps to its original style fairly easily. Getting the bangs cut and trimming it can be a great way to make it actually look more natural. The best wig I have right now is actually not the best color for me but looks ok. The others have to be altered quite a bit to work right. One might even need some color streaks. I’m shopping around for something else that’s a better look though. Wigs are great but without makeup they don’t really look right. My natural hair is finally collar length again and almost long enough to tie up. I think in a few months it’s going to be about shoulder length or more. It’s really taking off and has gotten very curly. The longer it gets the wavier it will eventually be. Right now I’m trimming the bangs but I’m going to try letting them grow out later. I don’t really style it. I just let it find it’s own shape with a little combing. 

So as usual I am taking all your advice to heart.  

I started to search out what is available to me in my area for wig shops as just buying one online is not an option for me.  Not that I wouldn't buy feminine items outline, because I do, I just don't know what I am doing when it comes to wigs.  I don't want to waste money in other words.  LOL

I was extremely surprise to find a Wig shop about 15 minutes away that seems to crater more to the trans community then to the medical needs out there.  Though they of course service both.

Actually they have a Wig web site and shop to sells and deals with both communities and their needs, helps with insurances, and tips and guidelines for those who need wigs.   Then an associated web site and shop that is tailored for us special girls.  To accompany this service they also have make up classes, and do photo shoots, teach how to on just about everything beauty, the full meal deal...  I have yet to contact them or schedule anything as I don't want to get ahead of myself quite yet.   

You can imagine I am excited about this as it gives me a place to learn and try things without outing myself at home or the expense of wasting money on items that just don't do it for me.  

Eventually even once my wife knows I still think it is worth using this resource to gain knowledge, training, and products testing in some of my needs.

I've stated before I do not think I will ever be "heavy" into dolling up every day but at this point I do not know.  Maybe.   It depends on what I can achieve and what I am willing to deal with daily.

I can be lazy sometimes.  LOL

• Forum Moderator

Well no, you don't want to doll up EVERY day. For special occasions though, you want to look as nice as possible.

For example, I just bought an awesome faux (I think. It doesn't matter. I love it.) leather jacket in a motorcycle style. I look awesome in it. I didn't need it as I have a couple jackets of the same weight. I did need to look awesome.

Much the same could be said of my new cute fox sweater, but that's closer to an everyday cuddly look.

Or why I have date shoes...

So yeah, there's "I'm being casual and I feel like me." There's also, "I want to turn heads." On different days you'll want one or the other. Have fun!

Hugs!

1 hour ago, Jackie C. said:

Well no, you don't want to doll up EVERY day. For special occasions though, you want to look as nice as possible.

For example, I just bought an awesome faux (I think. It doesn't matter. I love it.) leather jacket in a motorcycle style. I look awesome in it. I didn't need it as I have a couple jackets of the same weight. I did need to look awesome.

Much the same could be said of my new cute fox sweater, but that's closer to an everyday cuddly look.

Or why I have date shoes...

So yeah, there's "I'm being casual and I feel like me." There's also, "I want to turn heads." On different days you'll want one or the other. Have fun!

Hugs!

Oh I definitely understand “Options”.  Lol

Even as a male I had more clothing and shoes then ten of my guy friends had together.  
My wife though has a few department stores worth of clothing and a whole room I built her for just her shoes.  All the walls are shelves floor to ceiling and packed full!

(Jealous!)

She has an entire storage room with three sshelves for this big totes full, FULL of different clothing.  She swaps them out every spring and fall.  Like about 20 totes worth.  It’s crazy.  
Im so jealous.  I have like 4 totes I swap out and one of those is hunting clothes.  Lol

I so wish we were the same size...

• Forum Moderator

Nah, Susan and I can share pants. I'm a very lucky girl.

Hugs!