• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

fyi trans traveler

Lexi C

So traveling from L.A to Tampa. My make up is prefect, look good ( not Hot) but good. I am not worried about passing( a word a hate using). I am at the airport TSA line feeling good about my strength to fly looking a woman.I look like a woman but my license still has my male name. A fact I realize as I approach the agent. simultaneously  realize I am also wearing a wig. I began my backset as the agent call next. I was never so scared in my life. I fig the agent( male) would make me take my wig off and give that look of " Weird/o..I actually did not move until the person behind me nugg me forward. Well its seems I am woman in the eyes of TSA and allowed to wear my wig...Just a small slice of trans life but I fig it might help someone whose also planning to board a plane.    

• Admin

Glad that everything went smoothly, Alex.  That's been my experience for years now.  There would have to be something seriously amiss for an agent to ask you to remove your wig, or even mention it.  I've gone through the special scanner and had a pat down search 2-3 times and never had to utter the word "transgender."  (I have had my name changed, which is why I haven't been questioned).  That's not to say others haven't had problems, sometimes bad experiences.  I've just been lucky, I guess.

Carolyn Marie

I would be devilishly tempted to say, "Don't touch the nipples that are poking through the fabric, they are pressure sensitive detonators!" ?

OMG I would of been terrified!

I am so glad it worked out so well for you.

I can imagine flying these days without everything matching to the last T... Umm.

OK lets go with "E"...  LOL