• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Discosaurus

Hair removal (laser) without HRT

Discosaurus

Hi fellow trans-sisters.

Next week I have my first appointment for laser hair removal. I got my consultation a month ago were I got the advise to reconsider even doing it at all. The dermatologist (I believe that's the right word?) said the results though are very individual, and that we could give it a try. Not sure how to describe my problem really, except the usual struggle that everyone here probably goes through, and doing it in my second language also doesn't help. But long story short I'm not on hormones, and i've reached the conclusion to not do it, for now, for many reasons; one being the other possible treatments available among others, like hair removal. That made me feel some kind of hope. I went through a gender investigation, were I was very clear about this, and that HRT maybe wasn't an alternative for me. 

But now it appear to me that they maybe weren't used to handle trans people like myself that ended up not going with HRT treatment, and it isn't until now I get the information that it probably won't work, unless I took hormones and wen't through orchiectomy that is. 

A worry I have to may be hard to formulate is that what a "half-done" laser removal treatment could do to result in, if I give it a try. Today I have my routines. I get just about enough "stubble" every morning (or at least every other morning) that I may, if i like, shave and then be myself. Here my painfully-great hair growth actually comes in handy! I think if it went slower, the hair growth, I wouldn't perhaps be able to shave in the mornings?  Like I said, the possibility of permanent hair removal gave me hope, and sounded almost too great in my ears, and of course it hurts by getting the truth and to get that verified that it actually was (probably... still unclear) too great to be real. That hope is a life and death struggle for me. But it only depends on that is actually possible. For example, throughout the years, I've as much as given up the thoughts on me being a genuine woman, to the level that I'm not feeling dysphoria when thinking about say voice, breasts or genital. I've learnt to accept many parts of myself, at least to survive. But I actually thought I could change the facial hair, and therefore more dysphoria, and feelings regarding hope. In other words, I'm almost willing to do the sacrifice and try 2 accept my hair growth, on the thought that laser hair removal could be a risk that could rather make it even worse (my routines as I mentioned worked at least somewhat, and that means everything). 

I don't know if anything i've said will make any sense. But again, I'm worried that the results won't be permanent, and rather give me a bad hair growth, giving me the gray-look constant on my face that I can't get away (because you can't shave when it isn't barely anything, my experience says that you have to get some kind of "stubble"). And today I can actually as mentioned get the opportunity to feel newly shaved now and then, not feeling like a masculine gorilla. 

Any advise? Is there any one else that's been in my situation? 

Discosaurus

Or "half done" maybe wasn't the word I was looking for, but more like perhaps, "half successful". 

Ms Maddie

Discosaurus,

Hope you are dancing and surviving since you posted.

I had 12 monthly sessions of laser hair removal on my face well before I started HRT.

In my case it made a little bit of difference.  I have also had alot of electrolysis both before and after my year of laser.  Both techniques are usually expensive.  Neither have been a miracle fix.   I had no big problems with the laser (no discolorations) , but would rather spend the money on electro.  My face is clearer than it used to be, even I don't shave. 

Looking forward to a day when I might have no more shadow

Jani

Hello @Discosaurus

There are a lot of talks about laser being "permanent" hair removal versus "reduction".  Generally it is not permanent as there are many reports of hair growing back later.  Also it does not work on white or light colored hairs.  Only electrolysis is considered permanent and it does require multiple treatments to kill the hair follicle of each hair.

That said when I read this I was astounded. 

On 11/3/2019 at 2:25 PM, Discosaurus said:

But now it appear to me that they maybe weren't used to handle trans people like myself that ended up not going with HRT treatment, and it isn't until now I get the information that it probably won't work, unless I took hormones and wen't through orchiectomy that is. 

Hair removal of any type is not predicated upon whether one is having HRT or has had an orchiectomy!  Many people have this treatment for a variety of reasons.  Done properly it will work to the extent it can but its not a sure thing.  If the person providing the treatment is unwilling or unable to treat you then I would seek out someone else as they seem to be uneducated or at a minimum biased.  Being transgender has nothing to do with the outcome.  

Jani

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 104 Guests (See full list)

• RunValRun
    • Cyndee
    • Shay
    • Tori M
    • JustineM
    • Petra Jane
    • claire1000
    • MaryMary
    • LittleRed
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

gender-dysphoric
    Newest Member
    gender-dysphoric

1. Freyer
      Freyer
      (49 years old)
    • Tori M
      So, if you think pharmacists know everything about drugs, think again.....  When I picked up my E prescription, of course the pharmacist is required to have a quick consult on new medications.  She read the label which said, "Dissolve under tongue twice daily".  She got a funny look and said, "These pills don't dissolve."  "Are you sure," I asked?  "The endo said she wanted me to use sublingual E.  I've talked to others who say they are taking a sublingual pill."  She looked on the computer and then restated, "No, these don't dissolve.  I don't know of any estrogen pills that dissolve.  You can try it but I think it would take a long time to dissolve that way."  We were already having a challenge with insurance who only wanted to pay for one pill per day, not two lower doses, so I left feeling a bit frustrated and thinking they must not make the dissolve-able tablets any more or else my pharmacy doesn't carry them, so I guess I'm going to have to ask the endo for patches (which I don't like because they can irritate my skin).  Well, I tried the first one under my tongue and it vanished in less than 1 minute!  So much for experts, lol.
    • Shay
      You do what feels good to you - after all your opinion is the most important anyway 👍👍
    • Tori M
      I like boat neck tops, or at least a deep V.  All of that bare skin is definitely a distraction.  My boobs are wide-spaced so I've bought bras appropriate and comfortable with that but I guess I should try something that gives me a little cleavage and just deal with the odd feeling.  Can you tell I prefer comfort over looks? LOL  Now, if I lived in some place that had summers (there I go again! lol), I would just live in shorts, sandals and tank tops.
    • Tori M
      That's excellent, Patti, thanks for sharing it!  I've never liked the phrase "coming out"... indeed, when I tell someone it feels much more like "letting them in".
    • Shay
      I just remembered another song that my producer mentioned to me - he had a relationship with this lady and when I heard her version of IMAGINE I was floored - she re-invented it and made it her own and it makes me cry to this very day and I haven't even started HRT yet... gosh I probably won't be able to stop once I do start.    
    • Shay
      love the wonderful opening sequencce is Smooth Operator  
    • Tori M
      Kudos on finding yourself at such a young age.  I don't know that the doubt ever goes away, but after 17 years of being out, in, now out again, it has shrunken to a minimal, occasional thing.  Personally, I've only watched/read a couple of regret stories and they were confirmation to me that "that's not me".  I don't believe our influences/decisions should come from external sources.  I've long focused on listening to my internal thoughts and feelings.  I like your exercise of writing in both genders.  Keep doing that and eventually it might start leaning one way or the other, or not, and that's ok too.  I've never had the experience of feeling like a man, but I think at age 16 feeling partly both would be normal.  Yea, I think the current isolation has everyone feeling disoriented.  Our brains are wired to receive feedback from others and without that, it's no wonder we feel a little lost right now.  I would not calculate this bewildering social situation into my finding of myself. "...Super old"... That's cute. {giggle} 😉  I'm 54.  Welcome to TP, btw!  I hope we can be of some help in your journey.   Tori
    • Shay
    • Shay
      good discussion - I learned a lot, I used an eyebrow pencil to darken the contour above my tiny breasts and rubbed in to accentuate the little I have and that helps draw the eye away from my Ichobod Crane Adam's Apple... 🙂
    • Willow
      A Story of a life not lived   When I was a little boy I stumbled upon this strange playground. It was desolate but for one small girl, who was sitting in a swing with her head held down. She had such a sad disposition. I had never met her before but somehow I knew her. I walked over to her and sat in the swing next to hers. I asked, "What is your name?" "Natilie," she replied in a quiet and solemn voice, not even lifting her head to look at me. I inquired, "What are you doing here all alone?" With the same monotone whisper, she answered, "Waiting . . . ." "Waiting for what?" I said. "To come out and play," she murmured. Just then, I heard my mother calling me. "I have to go, my mother is calling me home," I explained. With those words I left her sitting there. I did not think about Natilie for some time and had almost forgot about her as the years rolled by and I got busy with my friends and with grade school. Then, one day I remembered the playground and I went back there, in some ways hoping she was not there and in other ways that she was. As I approached the location of our first encounter, I saw the same figure parked in the same swing with the same saddened countenance, but she was not a little girl anymore. She had grown up somewhat. I was almost afraid to approach her but something drew me to sit next to her. "It's me again," I blurted. I was not sure what she would say. "Would she be angry," I wondered, seeing that I had stayed away so long. "Would she be happy to see me," I asked myself. She lifted her head up and looked into my eyes and with a clearer voice she asked, "Is it time? Is it time to come out and play?" Before I even had a chance to contemplate her words, I found my mouth surprisingly uttering the words, "No." "I have friends and school and my parents expect things of me," I explained-- "You just can't." I left in a hurry, hoping by some means that I would not see her again. Time passed. I was full of youthful energy and vision, given over to the prescribed role ordained for me, coerced into believing that this path would bring me happiness in life. Junior high, high school, college, a great job, a wife, a house, and then a son. Natilie seemed but a distant memory, though  I did on rare occasion walk by that desolate playground, but never went in. Then it happened on one quiet evening while I was rocking my newborn son to sleep. I heard this quiet sob. It was Natilie but how and why now? Another year passed. I only heard that soft cry a few other times, and I continued to ignore it. But, during one of my evening strolls I happened upon that desolate playground without intent. "Huh?" I muttered to myself. "How did I get here?" That soft sob had now became a much louder cry. Out of human compassion, I sought out Natilie in the dim light and found her in that same swing. Her head was still facing the ground with tears rolling off of her cheeks. She was no longer a girl but had become a full grown woman. "Why are you crying?" I asked her with concern. She had not responded promptly nor did it seem that she even acknowledged my presence. Before I had a chance to repeat my question, she looked up at me and her expression turned into anger. "How long?!" she barked. I was taken back by her sudden shift in disposition and nearly fell off my swing. "Why are you so angry with me?" I snapped back, not minding her words. She continued. "How long will keep stealing my life? " "Your life?" I remarked with protest, "This is my life." I was not too happy about the tone of this encounter and got up from my swing to leave in a huff. But, before I had a chance to stand on my feet, she said in a very solemn tone of voice, "Before you leave me here again, let me ask you one last question . . Are you happy?" With that she turned her face toward the ground, blocking me out of sight. "Happy?" I could not stop thinking about this simple question. "No, I have not been happy." I thought that I was happy. I should be happy. After all, I have everything that anyone would want in life -- an education, a great job, family and friends, a wife, a house, and now a newborn son. I should be on the top of the world, but alas I still felt empty inside. I could not stop thinking about Natilie, seeing her in the corner of my eye, in the dim reflection of a store window, and hearing her quiet sob in the distance. I became obsessed with Natilie. All the years of avoiding her, trying to forgot about her, rationalizing her existence, pushing her away, and for what? I could no longer fight her. She had a right to live the life that was taken from her. I knew what I had to do if I ever wanted to be happy. I had a calm in my heart that night on the evening that I eagerly sought out the desolate playground, where Natilie sat for so many years on that same swing. But, as I approached the dimly lit area where her swing usually hung, she was not there. "Am I too late?" I thought in a panic. Just then, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around with a sudden jolt, I was greeted by a standing figure. It was Natilie and she had a smile on her face. "Is it time?" she asked. "Is it time for me to `come out and play'?" Looking into her eyes, I responded with a smile on my face and in a gentle voice, "Yes, it's time."     This is the story of my life.  This may not be the best Forum but its where my friends are.  I wrote this for all of us.   Willow
    • Shay
      love the wonderful opening sequencce is Smooth Operator  
    • LittleRed
      Hi KayC,   So to be totally transparent. Before getting on HRT, I read lots of stories of people saying that they really felt a difference as soon as they got on HRT and other trans people were telling me that I'll "feel" a lot better and I'll just "know" that it was meant to be. I feel like I was given this impression that HRT was going to shoot rainbows in the sky and I'd be on cloud 9 or something.   To my disappointment, I really didn't feel anything different when I started HRT. After a month, it really made me question if it was even working because I didn't feel any different and I wasn't experiencing anything magical or feeling any more feminine just by being on estradiol. What the hell was going on?   I had conversations with my therapist about this and basically to my understanding is that hormones don't necessarily have any immediate affect on how you feel or on your emotions. Over time, you experience change. People who immediately feel something amazing may be having a placebo affect (not to offend anyone, this is coming from my therapist, not me).   Over the course of several months, I began to notice some things:   1) My chest became sore, which as annoying as it is, it feels wonderful and affirming knowing something is starting happening there. 2) My skin felt quite different. Very soft compared to what I'm used to feeling. I feel like I really like my skin for the first time! 3) I noticed that I don't sweat at night when I sleep and my hair doesn't get so oily (it was really bad. Pre-HRT, I had to take a shower every morning because my hair was so greasy the next day. I couldn't stand it and I obsessed over my morning shower just to be able to wash my hair). 4) At some point, I started to notice (like a month ago) that I am able to cry. Something that would happen maybe once every 5 years under extreme circumstances. I found myself crying over a stressful situation at work that I normally would only feel anger or numb. 5) Which brings me to... with pre-HRT, my emotional states were: amused, numb, depressed, or angry. Now I feel like I'm just beginning to feel other emotions. I don't necessarily feel as "lifeless" as I used to.   I'm still going through problems with depression, doubt about transitioning, etc. But I feel like HRT is helping. Just don't come into HRT with the expectation that you're going to feel something significant right away. It didn't happen to me and it was really discouraging for a while.
    • Jani
      A great song.  The sentiment in the opening lyrics is needed so much now.   Jani
    • Jani
      I like that perspective!  Much more positive!  Jani
    • Jani
      Here's one
  • Upcoming Events