• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Testosterone levels Spiro vs. orchiectomy

Lucca

I'm hoping to get an orchiectomy in a few months. I'm already on the maximum dosages of estradiol and spironolactone that my doctor says are normally prescribed for transgender women. I was wondering, has anyone out there experienced a greater reduction in testosterone post-orchi then they were getting previously on spiro? Either objectively with a blood test, or in your physical or mental state.

I ask partly because I want max feminisation, but also because I have hidradenitis suppurativa, and want to see if getting my testosterone as low as possible will help my skin problems.

• Admin

Your testes do supply about 85% of your body's Testosterone supply, so orchiectomy is the most efficient way to drop the levels.  Spiro does not prevent the production of T but keeps it from being effective for many purposes, but as to your specific skin problem I cannot say.  It may be that your condition is one that the Spiro does not block the T factor for. 

• Forum Moderator

I can simply say that my T dropped way down after my orchi.  It is well below the levels i experienced with Spiro with fewer side effects.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

Same here as with the others; T was negligible after my orchi, well below normal male levels, plus I eliminated the Spiro side effects, which were causing me significant problems.

Carolyn Marie

I was on Spiro pre-Orchie, and was taking E as well. Low dosage for E. I had my Orchie on June 6 and had my blood draw 6 days later. I was "T-Free". I have that in quotes, cause I am not at "0" T, but my T is so low that I am considered "T free." After my orchie, i felt different immediately, both physically and mentally. My friend noticed as well, especially the way i was reacting to certain situations. I was calmer and my accepting during difficult times. Everyday I feel better, especially the way i walk, sit, and well, just about everything. I can also wear thongs! I love thongs and even had some saved and waiting in my drawers. Everything fits and feels better. Sure, everyone is different, but I love what i finally did, and i recommend it to everyone.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:47 AM, Ellora said:

I was on Spiro pre-Orchie, and was taking E as well. Low dosage for E. I had my Orchie on June 6 and had my blood draw 6 days later. I was "T-Free". I have that in quotes, cause I am not at "0" T, but my T is so low that I am considered "T free." After my orchie, i felt different immediately, both physically and mentally. My friend noticed as well, especially the way i was reacting to certain situations. I was calmer and my accepting during difficult times. Everyday I feel better, especially the way i walk, sit, and well, just about everything. I can also wear thongs! I love thongs and even had some saved and waiting in my drawers. Everything fits and feels better. Sure, everyone is different, but I love what i finally did, and i recommend it to everyone.

Ellora,

How have you recovered?  Are you back 100%?  

1 hour ago, lauraincolumbia said:

Ellora,

How have you recovered?  Are you back 100%? 

Hi and thanks for asking! Yes I have full recovered, quite a while now. The recovery process was pretty fast, imo. I have been enjoying life without the “growths” for quite sometime now. Being able to fully cross my legs without any discomfort is simply heaven. Not too long ago one of the twins accidentally kicked me “there” and I flinched, then smiled and giggled when it didn’t hurt one bit. 

Clothing “fits” waaaay more comfortably, like the men’s shorts I wear can be pulled up higher, so they fit better and don’t have a bulge look to them in the front. My friend pointed out to me that it can be a little obvious that I’m wearing a thong, since the shorts are more defined in the back, instead of one when wearing men’s underwear. She only mentioned that cause she only mentioned this when we were having a discussion about someone asking me several inquisitive questions at the twins T-K school a bit ago. I  asked my friend if she could see my thong, but she couldn’t, so I didn’t change anything ? I love my legs . 

In a couple of days I will be doing a blood draw to check my levels. I am very excited to see what my E and T levels are. Especially since I haven’t checked since the Lady Meds were increased. 

I have absolutely NO regrets having my Orchie done, of course I wish I had it done earlier, but super happy I had it done at all. It has changed my life for the better in so many ways.  

• Admin
On 11/9/2019 at 6:34 PM, Michelle F said:

Carolyn, can you briefly outline the issues you experienced with Spiro side effects?

I experienced excessive thirst, muscle cramps at night, and because of interactions with my diabetes medicines, episodes of dizziness.  The latter were particularly worrisome. 

Carolyn Marie

1 hour ago, Carolyn Marie said:

I experienced excessive thirst, muscle cramps at night, and because of interactions with my diabetes medicines, episodes of dizziness.  The latter were particularly worrisome. 

Carolyn Marie

About the cramps... In your feet and lower legs?

Additional bonus, the Orchie eliminated the need for Spiro. My Lady Meds consist of Estridiol and Progesterone . 

• Admin
3 hours ago, Michelle F said:

About the cramps... In your feet and lower legs?

Mostly my thighs and calves.

Calves and feet and not necessrily dizzy but wobble. Gonna talk to my doc today. Cramps last night were unbearable.

3 hours ago, Ellora said:

Additional bonus, the Orchie eliminated the need for Spiro. My Lady Meds consist of Estridiol and Progesterone . 

That would be nice.

Thanks for your input.

• 5 months later...

I was wanting one but my doctor says medicare and medicaid won't pay for it shucks would like to get off the spiro cause it lowers my blood pressure and I get eye migraines from it lowering my blood pressure ...

18 hours ago, Andrea Jean said:

I was wanting one but my doctor says medicare and medicaid won't pay for it shucks would like to get off the spiro cause it lowers my blood pressure and I get eye migraines from it lowering my blood pressure ...

If you have medi-medi, you should be covered. Call them personally. You might have to find another doctor. Try talking to a gender therapist, or an LGBTQ center/group, they might have suggestions. 

Best of luck! It’s sooooo possible! Stay strong! 

My doctor is transgender friendly so she's not stopping it for that its the insurance companies but will call them to make sure really want to get off the spiro ...my therapist is looking for a reason for it to be done also