• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Received Go for low-dose estrogen!

Astrid

Today was my initial visit to Fenway Health here in Boston regarding HRT.  As a non-binary (and older: age 71) person with dysphoria, I was interested in low-dose estrogen as a way to address that, and I was pleased that my doctor there agreed that it would indeed be appropriate to begin this, following my next visit in three weeks.  She recommended not taking a T-blocker, at least initially, as it of course carries more side effects. I'm not looking for pronounced body changes (such as significant breast growth or weight redistribution to my hips).

I'm interested to know if others have gone this route of low-dose estrogen, and if so, how you found it?   I know that "mileage may vary" from patient to patient, of course ?

Thanks!

Astrid

• Admin

Congrats, Astrid!  Dealing effectively with your dysphoria is always a big plus, and your goals seem well thought-out.  It sounds like you have a good doctor.

I started out on low dose E using a patch, with Finesteride, but my goals were different and the combination wasn't doing much for me, so my dosages were increased after 4 months or so.  So our experiences are not that close, but I'm sure some folks will come by with good accounts that align more with what you want.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Hello Astrid.  I'm glad to see you found Fenway to be a good resource.  I also go there.  It seems you have a good plan laid out.  The only negative I had with Spiro was having to urinate frequently but the body adjusts and soon things are bak to somewhat normal.  I also started with low dose patches as I wanted to see how it was effected by my other meds.  I found no issue at all.  From those I've spoken with who stayed on lose dose long term, its done what they wanted and calmed the noise in their heads.  I think this may be good for you. 

Jani

Congrats Astrid!

Fenway?  I used to know a girl that worked at Fenway.  Unfortunately, she passed away, but I never heard from what.

5 hours ago, Jani said:

From those I've spoken with who stayed on low dose long term, its done what they wanted and calmed the noise in their heads.  I think this may be good for you. 

Thanks, Jani!  That's exactly the kind of feedback that I was hoping to hear, and the result I hope to achieve ==> HRT (Head Relief Therapy) ?

With gratitude,

Astrid

• 3 weeks later...

It's official! Signed the requisite forms and got my prescription from Fenway Health yesterday, and started my first low-dose patch of Estradiol today.  Will not expect huge changes, and they'll be gradual, but then, that's the plan, by design -- to see how this can address my dysphoria and hopefully provide the sense of well-being and, as Jani said earlier, "calm the noise in my head" (nice analogy -- I like it! ?).   Next tweak/check-in scheduled for three months out, unless I need to report significant side effects before that.

Fingers crossed with a smile at this new milestone,

Astrid

• Forum Moderator

Great news Astrid!   Remember to clean the area where you place them with Witch Hazel or Rubbing Alcohol.  It helps with adhesion, removing any body oils. 

Jani 

• Admin

Welcome aboard the Womanhood Express, Astrid.  I hope your journey is a smooth one.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

I have never been precribed any T blocker. I dont think i needed it as my t count was very low to begin with.  Always has been.

But if its the same there as it is here. My Therapist started me on the lowest dose possible and built it up from there.

I belive its the correct way to do things. Just to ensure you have no adverse reactions and your body slowiy gets use to the new hormone flow.

Once you and if you have the Surgery. They will reduce again eventually. Howver that doesnt stop the develpoment its just bevcause you have less t producing equipment. Its a very indivdual thing on the dose post op and i think everyone will be diffrent. We are all uniquie

You will also find patches are quite normal if your over 40. Because they are less adverse at giving your liver a hard time.

Good luck on your journey

8 hours ago, Jani said:

Remember to clean the area where you place them with Witch Hazel or Rubbing Alcohol.  It helps with adhesion, removing any body oils

I asked my doctor at Fenway regarding that specific point, and she didn't recommend doing that. But I'll certainly see how it goes and will try it if I have adhesion issues. 

Thanks!

Astrid

7 hours ago, Carolyn Marie said:

I hope your journey is a smooth one.

And if it isn't, it will still be interesting! This journey hasn't been boring,  and I am thankful for how much better I feel now that I am no longer keeping things bottled up. More and more, I can be a healthy, real Me!

Astrid 

1 hour ago, Astrid said:

I am thankful for how much better I feel now that I am no longer keeping things bottled up. More and more, I can be a healthy, real Me!

I feel this way too now that I am on doctor supervised meds.  Calming to me knowing I am working towards "me" day by day.

Good Luck to you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 8:38 PM, Astrid said:

I'm not looking for pronounced body changes (such as significant breast growth or weight redistribution to my hips).

A surprise.  Three weeks after I began estradiol patches -- on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, to be exact -- my nipples have become sore and more pronounced.  A lot sooner than I expected this might occur.  So I'm definitely responding only too well to this particular dosage.  And I'm leaving on an international trip tomorrow for 12 days, so can't quickly change my prescription.

Feeling a bit nervous about this.  I read the other day in an older article about patches that sometimes people used scissors to, for example, cut the patch in half to reduce the dosage.  Interesting approach.

I will reach out via my patient portal to my doctor and see what she recommends.  

I get the feeling that finding a workable low-dose protocol will be a delicate balancing act to pull off.  I can say that I feel much better from the estrogen at this dosage, but then there's the physical changes that I wasn't hoping to undergo.  So it's a bit of a quandary.  I know that may sound strange to many of you who may be wanting to transition fully, but I'm one of those odd non-binary birds, I guess ?

Fingers crossed,

Astrid

4 hours ago, Astrid said:

I know that may sound strange to many of you who may be wanting to transition fully, but I'm one of those odd non-binary birds, I guess ?

Hey what ever makes you feel best is ok with us.  Lol

Have a good trip!

Checking in late, Congratulations!

When I lived outside of Boston, I'd always heard good things about the Fenway Clinic.

Glad you're all set for a (hopefully) smooth path forward!

TA

Thanks, Tammy Anne! It's weird. It's  3 days later now and the  nipple swelling has receded...like they changed their mind or something, lol. So I'm learning I think not to get too carried away at each little thing as this IS a long term project ?

Astrid

On 12/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, Astrid said:

A surprise.  Three weeks after I began estradiol patches -- on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, to be exact -- my nipples have become sore and more pronounced.  A lot sooner than I expected this might occur.  So I'm definitely responding only too well to this particular dosage.  And I'm leaving on an international trip tomorrow for 12 days, so can't quickly change my prescription.

Feeling a bit nervous about this.  I read the other day in an older article about patches that sometimes people used scissors to, for example, cut the patch in half to reduce the dosage.  Interesting approach.

I will reach out via my patient portal to my doctor and see what she recommends.  

I get the feeling that finding a workable low-dose protocol will be a delicate balancing act to pull off.  I can say that I feel much better from the estrogen at this dosage, but then there's the physical changes that I wasn't hoping to undergo.  So it's a bit of a quandary.  I know that may sound strange to many of you who may be wanting to transition fully, but I'm one of those odd non-binary birds, I guess ?

Fingers crossed,

Astrid

I think I've read that the nipple responds much more quickly than the underlying breast tissue. And if the hormones "go away" it gets back to its usual state quickly.

But I've got odd nipples anyway.

I'm glad for you. And a little jealous.

TA

• 8 months later...

Update time....I had my six-month checkup at Fenway Health here in Boston yesterday afternoon, but at their request it was a telehealth visit with my doctor via Zoom rather than in-person.  Really liked not having the hassle of traveling into downtown, but missed the physical examination aspect of things.  But overall it was a productive visit, for sure.

My estradiol level is significantly more than it was six months ago, which might have a tiiiiny, itsy bitsy connection to why I'm feeling better than I was before ?.  Received the expected advice that there's no way to predict how my asymmetric breast growth I've seen for the past month will or won't continue. As she pointed out, breasts are more commonly asymmetric than symmetric.  Skin is softer and body hair regrowth slower (yay!).  My dysphoria is most definitely being addressed positively by HRT, and for me it was the right decision.

As someone who identifies as non-binary, my goal isn't to transition, however, nor is it to pass as a female.  It's to allow my gender nonconformity and identity to ring true for me, to feel comfortable as me.  So at some point in the future, I'll be comfortable with the more feminine state that I've reached with my breast growth -- the most noticeable irreversible effect of HRT -- and then stop.  But that time isn't now.  

The journey continues, as it always will for the rest of my life.  And I continue to know that it was such a positive thing to come out two years ago, and start the long-delayed steps of my journey that already have accomplished significant milestones.  

Looking forward to my future with happiness in my heart,

Astrid

• Forum Moderator

Sounds like a good report.  I had a tele-medicine appointment with my doctor at Fenway as well.  I also missed the actual face to face interaction but it was very good.  I can tell you are happy with your progress to date and I hope you continue towards your goal.

Cheers, 

Jani