• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I am also so confused about who I am.

Lilbitconfused97

Hi everyone, I have posted one thread on this site about exercising and I got some really great responses so thought I would post another thread if that is ok. 

I currently identify as a gay cis man, but I am very confused. I've always felt as though I am uncomfortable in my body, however I suffered from an eating disorder when I was younger so always believed that was the reason for my body dysphoria. Around 10 months ago, I sat in my bed and the thought of 'Maybe I am trans?' ran through my mind. It was terrifying, and in all honestly I have had more sleepless nights since than I would care to admit. 

My mental health is very bed, I am seeing my university mental health nurse around every 3 weeks as this is as often as appointments are available. I am having suicidal thoughts often, although I do not believe I will carry them out. 

The bottom line is, I don't have the answers right now as to who I am, and as I am in my final year of university I simply don't have the time or energy to find the answers at this time. Yet, it is obvious to me that this is severely impacting my life - studies, physical health (I have gained a lot of weight), friendships, mental health. 

I am not sure why I am writing this, but i suppose I really just need to explain my situation to people who understand. I have to survive with these feelings and emotions until july 2020 as I really want to finish my university degree. 

My question - how did you fabulous people survive with these feelings and ideas when you were not in a place in your life as to take time out to explore them? 

Hugs, Tom. 

• Forum Moderator

I almost didn't. I went to some really dark places before I came out and started transitioning. I also engaged in some really self-destructive behaviors that impacted my professional life and my relationship with friends and family. I ballooned up to almost 300 ponds too. If my body wasn't going to be right no matter what I did, what was the point in taking care of it? My blood pressure and cholesterol numbers were epic high. My doctor said he'd only seen one person my age higher (so I couldn't even do THAT right ?). I guess I reached the point where it was scarier to not transition than it was to just jump in with both feet.

So what feelings led me to transition? I kind of always knew. I used to pretend I was a girl when I was home alone. Probably the only time my parent's style was a good thing... without getting into too much detail, one's an absentee-style parent. The other one is a narcissist. I had a lot of unsupervised time so long as I wasn't making too much noise. I'm basically feral.

Anyway, those feelings didn't go away. As I got older I found myself in a major state of envy of the girls around me. On the plus side, I'm into women so that helped with the "fitting in." On the downside, I'm absolute rubbish at acting like a guy so it took a long time to find a woman who accepted me for who I am. Lots of female friends though. Surrounded by women is kind of my happy place, so at least that worked out.

More tragic backstory -- When I was about twelve, I was told that I wouldn't live past forty because of my asthma. This affected a bunch of decisions for me later in life because, well, 40. Why try if you're going to die young no matter what you do? So I convinced myself that I could hold out until my heart exploded and took steps to make sure it happened as quickly as possible. I didn't pursue transition because it was the eighties, I was chronically depressed, and I felt that I was going to die soon anyway. I overate. I didn't exercise. I did the bare minimum to hold a job and I didn't try to follow any of my dreams. This is about the point I really could have used a therapist, but I was raised in the era where there was a huge stigma towards the mentally ill and I'm a very high functioning depressive so nobody noticed. 

I was an absolute terror to be around, but people figured I was just an asshat. I was good at my slacker tech-support job and that's all anybody wanted me to be. As an aside, I absolutely abhor the person I am when I'm doing tech-support work. I do not like that person at all. I think in some ways I was punishing myself. I used to sit on the edge of my bed every night and quietly pray to die in my sleep. I got heart palpitations at one point and I was excited that the end was finally here. I just smiled to myself and didn't tell a soul.

A couple of years ago I realized that 40 was in the rear-view mirror. The feelings of being trapped in my body never went away. I always felt more comfortable in the female role. I have a friend who's bi-gendered so I'd dipped my toe in the water so to speak. I was pretty sure what I had to do at this point, so I bought some breast forms and a wig (the doctor wasn't completely wrong, my hair died when I was 39. Alopecia Universalis. A mixed blessing. I've lost my lovely hair, but I don't have to shave anything) along with some hip padding just before my wife went away for a week on a trip. Once she was gone, I slipped into my female persona. It was absolute heaven. I stayed dressed until about an hour before Susan got home. I knew what I had to do to keep living.

I made an appointment to talk to a therapist the next day. I started on HRT four months later and I've never looked back. I feel alive. I have dreams again and I'm actually pleasant to be around. I might be a bit of a Pollyanna though if I'm being honest with myself.

So here we are almost two years into my transition. I'm having my bottom surgery in February 2020. I feel better than I ever have. I'm down 110 pounds or so and I'm probably in the best shape of my life. My relationship with my wife is better than ever. I lost a parent but, y'know, see above. Not much of a loss. My friends were, frankly hilarious. I came out to them and they said, "Well, duh." Complete non-event. It's been a very positive experience for me. My only regret is that I didn't have the courage to do what I needed to until, well, now.

I hope some of that helps in some small way.

Hugs!

Hi Tom LBC!

Likewise I nearly didn't survive either, doing indirectly suicidal things sort of inviting myself to be killed (shouldn't need to discuss details as I'm sure many others have had some similar doings). It was only during therapy with a gender therapist that the light came on in my head. Previously I'd been active in a gay men's therapy group which while better than having to pretend I was an ordinary male, still didn't quite work. The group leader would pose questions for the group and everyone had answers much different than mine. They also couldn't understand how I felt or why I responded more like a woman than a man/gay man.

If you described taking on a role as "wearing a hat" then putting on my woman's hat gave me a good feeling about myself, left me feeling at peace with all my complicated, inexplicable feelings and reactions, and let me realize that my life does make sense after all.

Having chugged through university myself while struggling with a box carload of confused feelings, I can empathize. Buckle down and get through it, but give yourself some peace too. You will find answers, you can sort this out, it will be okay.

Thank you for the replies! Although it is sad to hear that you both had self-destructive behaviour, it is comforting to hear that others treated themselves the same way. I always felt angry that I couldn't just treat myself with respect and be a well-rounded 'boy'. 

It seems as though the next step is try and talk to a gender therapist, as although the councillor I see at university is kind and caring, I think she is very out of her depth with my issues. 

I am glad to hear that both of you came out of the tunnel on the other side! If you can do it so can I. 

Hugs, Tom. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 5:16 AM, Lilbitconfused97 said:

Thank you for the replies! Although it is sad to hear that you both had self-destructive behaviour, it is comforting to hear that others treated themselves the same way. I always felt angry that I couldn't just treat myself with respect and be a well-rounded 'boy'. 

It seems as though the next step is try and talk to a gender therapist, as although the councillor I see at university is kind and caring, I think she is very out of her depth with my issues. 

I am glad to hear that both of you came out of the tunnel on the other side! If you can do it so can I. 

Hugs, Tom. 

Permanent solution to a temporary problem. The peope on this site seem very much worth listening to.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 153 Guests (See full list)

• EasyE
    • Lorelei
    • KathyLauren
    • awkward-yet-sweet
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Melissa_J
    Newest Member
    Melissa_J

1. Amyjay
      Amyjay
      (58 years old)
    2. bettyjean
      bettyjean
    3. Breanna
      Breanna
      (52 years old)
    4. Emily Ayla
      Emily Ayla
    5. JET182
      JET182
    • EasyE
      So, I jumped on the "E" train last week and am about 10 days into my HRT journey. I have the tiniest patch available. I laughed when I opened it. "This little thing is supposed to give me more feminine characteristics?"   I haven't really felt much of anything so far, not that I expected to at this point. I am really, really tired but that may be other factors (like staying up too late to watch NCAA basketball every night). The one noticeable difference is that my libido seems to be a lot more subdued. Not that I am proud of this, but the big M was a practically a daily part of life for me. My daily comfort and way to get an endorphin hit or just deal with loneliness. The past week, though, has been, "meh." Is that the HRT tamping things down? Or just a normal down cycle for me? Not sure yet. Time will tell.   I have been very quiet about things overall. Only a few people know. No one in my immediate family. I fear the backlash I will get when they find out. Worst- case scenario, my daughters stop talking to me. That would kill me. I hope I can show them over time, "See, I am still me."   Met with my endo on Wednesday. He is good for me to up the dose when I feel comfortable. For now, I think I am going to stand pat and take things nice and slow. Of course, I could see myself tomorrow asking him to send in the script for the higher dose...   I keep asking myself, what is the end game with all of this. Unlike many on here, I don't have a concrete answer yet. I am not convinced I will "go all the way" and change my name and ID, etc. Part of me would love to soldier on just as I am but with a lot more feminine physical characteristics and a more distinctly feminine wardrobe. What does that make me? Non-binary? Not sure.  Again, I am just me, as unorthodox as that is...   All I know is that this is something I want to do. I am comfortable walking this path for now. Again, we'll see. As always, would appreciate any feedback the more experienced folks may have. Blessings to all!    EasyE
    • Ivy
      I grew up with it, my mother's side were Germans.  I still like cabbage.  I make a sweet/sour dish with vinegar and brown sugar, add some bacon if you have it.  And in warmer weather, slaw.  I like that better if it's a few days old, and has worked off a little.
    • Ivy
      Pity that we can't just respect each other and get along.
    • Willow
      Good Friday Morning    I will be spending a good portion of my day at church today.  I don’t know how any of my family would have been with me.  They all passed before I figured myself out.  I often think my mother and sister may have figured it out before I did but maybe it was just my depression that they saw.  I don’t know and never will.  My grandfather Young unconditionally loved me but he passed when I was 9.   Same with my wife’s parents, both gone before.  We’ve never had the greatest relationship with my wife’s brother but we do see them occasionally.  They words and actions aren’t always in sink when it comes to me.   Sour kraut or boil cabbage were never big even with my parents so that was something we were never expected to eat.  Nor was anything with mustard.  My mother hated mustard and it turns my stomach. My wife tried to sneak it into things early in our marriage but I could always tell.  She stopped after a while.   well I wave to go get ready to go to church.  I have a committee meeting at 10 and then we have a Good Friday Service at noon.   Willow
    • Mmindy
      Good morning everyone,   @KymmieLI hope you're misreading your bosses communications. As you say keep plugging a long. Don't give them signs that you're slow quitting, just to collect unemployment.   I have a few things to do business wise, and will be driving to the St. Louis, MO area for two family gatherings.   Have a great day,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • KymmieL
      Good morning everyone, TGIFF   It seems like I am the one keeping or shop from being the best. According to the boss. I don't know if my days are numbered or not. But anymore I am waiting for the axe to fall. Time will tell.   I keep plugging a long.   Kymmie
    • KymmieL
      In the warmer weather, Mine is hitting the road on the bike. Just me, the bike, and the road. Other is it music or working on one of my many projects.   Kymmie
    • LC
      That is wonderful. Congratulations!
    • Heather Shay
      What is relaxation to you? Nature? Movie? Reading? Cuddling with a pet? Music?
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      Having just a normal emotional day.
    • Heather Shay
      AMUSEMENT The feeling when you encounter something silly, ironic, witty, or absurd, which makes you laugh. You have the urge to be playful and share the joke with others. Similar words: Mirth Amusement is the emotional reaction to humor. This can be something that is intended to be humorous, like when someone tells a good joke or when a friend dresses up in a ridiculous costume. But it can also be something that you find funny that was not intended to be humorous, like when you read a sign with a spelling error that turns it into an ironic pun. For millennia, philosophers and scholars have been attempting to explain what exactly it is that makes something funny. This has led to several different theories. Nowadays, the most widely accepted one is the Incongruity Theory, which states that something is amusing if it violates our standards of how things are supposed to be. For example, Charlie Chaplin-style slapstick is funny because it violates our norms of competence and proper conduct, while Monty Python-style absurdity is funny because it violates reason and logic. However, not every standard or norm violation is necessarily funny. Violations can also evoke confusion, indignation, or shock. An important condition for amusement is that there is a certain psychological distance to the violation. One of the ways to achieve this is captured by the statement ‘comedy is tragedy plus time’. A dreadful mistake today may become a funny story a year from now. But it can also be distant in other ways, for instance, because it happened to someone you do not know, or because it happens in fiction instead of in real life. Amusement also needs a safe and relaxed environment: people who are relaxed and among friends are much more likely to feel amused by something. A violation and sufficient psychological distance are the basic ingredients for amusement, but what any one person find funny will depend on their taste and sense of humor. There are dozens of ‘humor genres’, such as observational comedy, deadpan, toilet humor, and black comedy. Amusement is contagious: in groups, people are more prone to be amused and express their amusement more overtly. People are more likely to share amusement when they are with friends or like-minded people. For these reasons, amusement is often considered a social emotion. It encourages people to engage in social interactions and it promotes social bonding. Many people consider amusement to be good for the body and the soul. By the end of the 20th century, humor and laughter were considered important for mental and physical health, even by psychoneuroimmunology researchers who suggested that emotions influenced immunity. This precipitated the ‘humor and health movement’ among health care providers who believed that humor and laughter help speed recovery, including in patients suffering from cancer1). However, the evidence for health benefits of humor and laughter is less conclusive than commonly believed2. Amusement is a frequent target of regulation: we down-regulate it by shifting our attention to avoid inappropriate laughter, or up-regulate it by focusing on a humorous aspect of a negative situation. Interestingly, amusement that is purposefully up-regulated has been found to have the same beneficial physical and psychological effects as the naturally experienced emotion. Amusement has a few clear expressions that emerge depending on the intensity of the emotion. When people are mildly amused, they tend to smile or chuckle. When amusement intensifies, people laugh out loud and tilt or bob their head. The most extreme bouts of amusement may be accompanied by uncontrollable laughter, tears, and rolling on the floor. Most cultures welcome and endorse amusement. Many people even consider a ‘good sense of humor’ as one of the most desirable characteristics in a partner. At the same time, most cultures have (implicit) rules about what is the right time and place for amusement. For example, displays of amusement may be deemed inappropriate in situations that demand seriousness or solemness, such as at work or during religious rituals.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.