• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Skirt popularity

Lucca

For girl-mode, I like to wear thick, pleated skirts. They're easy to hide the downstairs area without tucking, they emphasize my hips, and look very feminine and get the point across that I'm trying not to be read as male. They're all I've worn in my female outfits. However, I'm also a bit self-conscious, because I see very few women wearing skirts, so I'm afraid they make me stick out. Skirts are also kind of a fetishised item, and I don't want people to get the wrong idea. Any thoughts?

I mean, I'll probably just do whatever I want anyway, but I least want to know how much of a magnet for attention this makes me.

• Forum Moderator

Actually, I know a couple of other trans women who straight-up refuse to wear pants after their transition so it's not that unusual.

My wife, who was reading over my shoulder, suggested you wear the skirts you like, but wear solids and avoid wild patterns (assuming you can, she's an autumn, she can get away with that). Of course I can get away with blues and blacks. Actually, thinking about it the skirts I own are a white peasant skirt and a dark blue jean skirt. Both are very comfy in the summer. They're in the "damn it's cold now" drawer until the sun comes back in the spring.

So yeah, wear what you like. It's not that women don't wear dresses so much as you don't notice because they're not drawing attention to themselves. Solid colors, below the knee. Nobody will say a thing.

Hugs!

Mine are just above the knee, but I have really long legs and always wear dark leggings or tights, so I don't think I'm showing too much skin. I think my legs are one of my more feminine features, so I like to show them off a bit. That cool?

• Forum Moderator

I don't see why not. I've got nice legs too. Admittedly I dress like a librarian, but skirts are great for the summertime. If you've got leggings on underneath you're not really drawing attention to yourself (unless it's hot pink with unicorns or something or you're wearing that one miniskirt we've all tried before we realized we looked ridiculous). Skirts are great! It's just cold.

Hugs!

• Admin

I try to skirt around popularity if I can.  Being fully transitioned for about 10 years my wardrobe in a combination of you name it.  Tonight I will be with my Chorus at a TDOR event, and with them I do wear black slacks as the uniform code says for the performance.  I do have skirts for various occasions but my rule is plain tops for patterned skirts and plain skirts with patterned tops.  I also wear non-tartan kilts (plain color) for the reason that they are warm, have pockets, and are now uni-gender for the most part.  If you like what you see in the mirror go for it is my view.  I have never in my time really be roughed up by the fashion police.

• Forum Moderator

I often wear long skirts and when i do so i'm often the only woman in a skirt.  I find them very comfortable.  I do wear pants around the farm as well but often i long jean skirt with a lot of room to "step out".  I find it is comfortable to work in.  In the winter i'll wear long johns or tights below and am cozy while ice forms on the hem.  

Hugs,

Charlize

I have three favorite skirts that I wear all the time. Two are Sari style , one long and one short  (knee length). The third fav is a plaid pink skirt. 

The Orchie I had months ago, has allowed for me to wear skirts, limiting steps needing to “ hide” anything, getting easier and easier as time passes. If it’s windy, I wear yoga type shorts to help with gusts of wind and to help “smooth” things over. 

Amazon has a lot of choices of sari skirts at very reasonable prices. I love them cause they are very versatile, adjusting height, and style. 

A lot of women dress to impress other women, I just try to find something I like and comfortable wearing.

i avoid wearing pants, just because I feel more comfortable wearing shorts or something that lets my legs breath, like skirts.

• Forum Moderator

I wear skirts regularly. I usually wear a short skirt around the house / garden. Over leggings now it is cooler. When I go out it is often a short skirt over thicker tights (fleece lined even) now the cold weather is here. My difficulty seems to be finding a skirt of the right pattern and long enough (just above the knee rather than a 'bum cover'). I agree that most women don't seem to wear skirts these days but if they want to look like men? :D Thick pleated skirt sounds good to me. I would love a good tartan but I think I will maybe have to bite the bullit and splash out as the genuine article is rather expensive, although I do have a cheaper item I wear regularly.

9 hours ago, Ellora said:

A lot of women dress to impress other women, I just try to find something I like and comfortable wearing.

I find this seems to be attitude going forward towards dressing more feminine.  I am doing it for myself but not to present female but to present "me".  I find that it seems more important to me that women find me acceptable then men.  

Skirts?  I am not there yet.  I have a long road before this.  As I am Still presenting male for the public for the time being.  I do find myself wanting to push the limits on social behavior in this respect. Staring to combine "things"

My latest desire is to start wearing clogs.  In a hospital setting where I work this is acceptable for all women and some male nurses and I have seen a lot of doctors wearing them too.  

I can wait to be at a point in my life where I can wear dresses and skirts!  

For now I must just dream and wait...

On 11/21/2019 at 7:45 AM, ShawnaLeigh said:

I can wait to be at a point in my life where I can wear dresses and skirts!  

For now I must just dream and wait...

I can't agree more.   I am really looking forward to being able to wear dresses and skirts in public on a regular basis.  

• 2 weeks later...

Skirts are a regular part of my wardrobe, and I have many different styles.  My favorite happens to be a pencil skirt with a hem that falls just to the knee.  I'm extremely leggy, however, so most skirts that are supposed to fall to the knee always end up a bit higher on me. 

Like other fashions, skirts go in and out of style and right now, based on what I see in the department stores, we are on the out-of-style cycle.  I don't run with the fashion crowd too much anyway, so I continue to wear skirts even when a lot of other women aren't.  It's so much fun to stand out.?

Hugs,

Sally

• Forum Moderator

I believe in doing what makes you feel good.  More power to you! 

On 11/20/2019 at 9:53 PM, Jackie C. said:

f (unless it's hot pink with unicorns or something

And what is wrong exactly with pink unicorns?  ??

Did a thread once about the changes and expectations pre transition to post.

I wear skirts sometimes. But you do seem to be the minority in my part of the world.. I do prefer leggings, Jeggings etc. Just easier to move around in. Plus warmer in my climate. I do admit. it is nice to wear one once in a while. Its still quite ironic pre transition it would be dresses and skirts all the time but now im past the finnishing post its only occasionally.

However. my preference is a nice pencil skirt. and boots. I look pretty good if i say so myself. That makes me feel good. Even if its all just in the mind.

I am quite pleased with my legs so try to wear skirts (knee length usually) with some nice tights ,i've been wearing trousers all of my life so it's nice to finally have more of a choice