• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Dana Michelle

Could people mistake these issues for an attempt at identity fraud?

Dana Michelle

The other day I had a phone call with a bank about getting a home loan. I used my feminine voice, which I usually don't use since I still present as male. Near the beginning of the call, she did address me with a title and last name, but I couldn't hear well enough to tell if she said "Mister" or "Miss". Later when she introduced me to someone else, she referred to me with female pronouns. I don't know if my voice passed, or if she simply figured out that I was trying to present as female.

I'm kind of worried because I've been afraid they might think I am trying to commit identity fraud but using a voice that might sound fake and that they might discover my male name when searching my credit history. I didn't give them my male name or mention being transgender, but I did give them my social security number. I only recently changed my name and the letter from social security said it can take 4 weeks for them to update the records.

I hope that if my voice doesn't pass and if they discover my male name, that there is enough awareness about transgender issues these days that they would know what that means and not make an issue out of it.

Carolyn Marie

If you have legally changed your name it should not be a problem.  If they question it, you need only present your name change document to them.  If you haven't legally changed your name, then you will have to straighten that out with them.  They likely will not put your preferred name on your loan docs if it is not legally changed. 

I have had one issue with my bank.  I took my certified court document to my branch and asked that they change my records.  The apparently transphobic manager said that their legal department wanted me to return to court to have it "re-certified."  My document was perfectly legal; they just wanted to put an obstacle in my way.  I made a complaint to HQ and went to a different branch, where the staff assisted me without question and were totally kind and supportive.  They accepted my court decree at face value.

So even with major institutions and national policies in place, we trans folk can still face problems, but those problems can be dealt with if we are persistent and strong and stand our ground.  I wish you luck. Dana.

Carolyn Marie

Susan R
52 minutes ago, Dana Michelle said:

I'm kind of worried because I've been afraid they might think I am trying to commit identity fraud but using a voice that might sound fake and that they might discover my male name when searching my credit history.

If it was me, I wouldn't worry AT ALL.  You have have your name change court order filed away somewhere and no one can be committing fraud based on the sound of their voice.

55 minutes ago, Dana Michelle said:

but I did give them my social security number.

As a rule of thumb for myself, I never give those credentials out unless I initiated the call or unless I personally know the person and they need it for some valid reason.  If they called you it's not nearly as safe as there is so much Phishing going on these days and caller ID spoofing of numbers Is easy.  Most of this stuff is done from outside of your country so there no worries for them.  If a company called you and solicited your credentials, ask them for a return number to call them back...it's a little safer.

Jackie C.
1 hour ago, Dana Michelle said:

The other day I had a phone call with a bank about getting a home loan. I used my feminine voice, which I usually don't use since I still present as male. Near the beginning of the call, she did address me with a title and last name, but I couldn't hear well enough to tell if she said "Mister" or "Miss". Later when she introduced me to someone else, she referred to me with female pronouns. I don't know if my voice passed, or if she simply figured out that I was trying to present as female.

I'm kind of worried because I've been afraid they might think I am trying to commit identity fraud but using a voice that might sound fake and that they might discover my male name when searching my credit history. I didn't give them my male name or mention being transgender, but I did give them my social security number. I only recently changed my name and the letter from social security said it can take 4 weeks for them to update the records.

I hope that if my voice doesn't pass and if they discover my male name, that there is enough awareness about transgender issues these days that they would know what that means and not make an issue out of it.

I wouldn't worry about it. I had that same conversation with a loan officer using my female voice. I hadn't changed my name yet, so I had to explain why I was indeed (boy name) and wanted to proceed with the transaction. I was presenting female full time when the call occurred and my brain just would not let me slip back into more masculine tones. It was actually fun for me because it was a great real-world test of my feminine voice. The officer was super confused at first as to why (boy name) sounded like a woman, but we straightened the whole thing out.

The big deal is to make sure you tell all your creditors when you change your name. So long as you're not trying to misrepresent yourself, it's all good.

Hugs! 

Dana Michelle
9 hours ago, Susan R said:

As a rule of thumb for myself, I never give those credentials out unless I initiated the call or unless I personally know the person and they need it for some valid reason.  If they called you it's not nearly as safe as there is so much Phishing going on these days and caller ID spoofing of numbers Is easy.  Most of this stuff is done from outside of your country so there no worries for them.  If a company called you and solicited your credentials, ask them for a return number to call them back...it's a little safer.

Actually, I entered my social security number on their website first then later called them on the phone. My SSN didn't come up during the call but they could probably look it up from my online application. I did make sure to look closely at the URL to make sure it is the name of the bank.com, and went to the Wikipedia for the bank then checked under external links to make sure that is the domain name for the bank.

Dana Michelle

I am not worried about criminal charges or anything, but I am a little worried that I could be denied a loan if they suspect fraud. I got a letter that mentioned they could not find a credit history. Maybe it is because I have not yet changed my name with the bank or on my credit card, but I think they would search based on social security number rather than name, since many people have the same first and last name. Even though I changed my name, my SSN is still the same. I even just got my new social security card in the mail less than an hour ago: same number, just a new name.

On 11/24/2019 at 11:55 AM, Jackie C. said:

The officer was super confused at first as to why (boy name) sounded like a woman, but we straightened the whole thing out.

Did everything go OK once you straightened it out?

Jackie C.
1 hour ago, Dana Michelle said:

Did everything go OK once you straightened it out?

Absolutely. He made a note in my file and I sent them copies of the paperwork as soon as everything was official. Didn't affect my eligibility in the slightest.

Hugs!

Dana Michelle
47 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

Absolutely. He made a note in my file and I sent them copies of the paperwork as soon as everything was official. Didn't affect my eligibility in the slightest.

Hugs!

Good to hear.