• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Lucca

Opinion on the term "LGBT"

Lucca

My understanding is that the medical term most often applied to what we now consider to be "transgender" was usually "transvestite" during roughly 1900-1950, which broadly meant "cross-dresser", and the person was usually viewed as someone who was so extremely homosexual that they not only take on the sexual desires of the opposite sex, but the appearance and mannerisms of the opposite sex as well. In the 1949, the term "transsexual" was created to differentiate cross-dressers who identified with their assigned sex/gender from people who actually viewed themselves as having a gender and/or sex opposite the one assigned at birth, and who took medical steps to alter their sex characteristics. Then, later on (1990s, I think?), the term "transgender" was created as an umbrella term that included both binary trans people as well as non-binary people who transition into something outside of the gender binary and who may not be undergoing medical transition. The term "transsexual" fell out of favor and is now often viewed as a slur, though there are still some people who prefer it, especially older transitioners who transitioned before the 1990s. (I mean, feel free to fact check me on this little history essay, I'm not an expert.)

Similar to my issues with the term "LGBT", I think that this confusing history is where a lot of the fight over whether non-binary people are transgender or not stems from. A lot of trans people (often called "transmedicalists") believe that only people who transition to the opposite binary gender and who undergo HRT are transgender, so (for example) a biological male who is not on estrogen and who wears dresses and uses they/them pronouns is not trans. This does not actually make much sense, since the term "transgender" was specifically created to (or at least evolved to) include people who do not have a binary and/or medically-based trans experience.

Honestly, while I do believe that non-binary people have every right to claim themselves as "trans" or "transgender" and I support them and oppose their exclusion from trans circles, I have to admit that I don't relate much to most of their stories, at least not the non-medical ones. My transition is very medical, and very binary. I need estrogen in my system in order to function at full capacity, and I need to have a social circle of other women who treat me like one of their own in order to feel socially fulfilled. Ideally, I'd like to reclaim the term "transsexual" in order to have a term that I feel accurately describes me and doesn't lump me in with people that I don't inherently have much in common with, but which doesn't unfairly exclude or alienate them. I mean, I am altering my physical sex, and the word "transsexual" reflects that. Instead, what we have is people arguing over the definition of "transgender" and demanding exclusive rights to its use, since the younger generation of trans people have dropped the word "transsexual" like a hot potato and now do not have anything more than the vague term "transgender" to refer to themselves.

TLDR, I'm not a huge fan of the overuse of broad umbrella terms while simultaneously causing useful, more specific terms to die out, either purposefully or incidentally. It just causes linguistic confusion and infighting.

MaryMary
2 hours ago, Lucca said:

, I have to admit that I don't relate much to most of their stories, at least not the non-medical ones. My transition is very medical, and very binary. I need estrogen in my system in order to function at full capacity, and I need to have a social circle of other women who treat me like one of their own in order to feel socially fulfilled. Ideally, I'd like to reclaim the term "transsexual" in order to have a term that I feel accurately describes me and doesn't lump me in with people that I don't inherently have much in common with, but which doesn't unfairly exclude or alienate them. I mean, I am altering my physical sex, and the word "transsexual" reflects that. Instead, what we have is people arguing over the definition of "transgender" and demanding exclusive rights to its use, since the younger generation of trans people have dropped the word "transsexual" like a hot potato and now do not have anything more than the vague term "transgender" to refer to themselves.

I agree with that very much.

Even when I was very young I felt I was girl and I thought that I would lose my genital and those sorts of stuff (that was before the very big desception of sex ed.) Transsexual do define me quite well as far as genitals and the medical part. I'm quite non binary on the gender part because I don't care that much about that part... altough I prefer feminine stuff.

Lucca

Here's a quick example from my own life on how umbrella terms can cause confusion: I'm currently looking for a job, and I really want one that will allow me to work there as a woman. A lot of online job listings will include a brief phrase saying they are "LGBT friendly" or somesuch. Since most people, especially older managers in charge of hiring, view the term "LGBT" as almost always referring to gay people, I don't know if them inserting that phrase means anything for trans inclusion. I'm guessing that most workplaces in my city are fine with a gay person working there, I'm not so sure about them being ok with a trans woman who does not pass. If they said "we support transgender employees who transition on the job", it would be more certain that they have trans people in mind.

(Not that finding an accepting job as a gay or bi person is super easy either, getting a job as anyone who's somehow not "normal" really sucks.)

Dana Michelle

I think sometimes when people say LGBT they are only talking about gays and lesbians, and not really thinking about transgender people or bisexual people either. I think maybe the association of transgender with sexual orientation could be because transgender people who transition are perceived as being LGB either before or after transitioning. For example, someone born male who is attracted to males would be perceived as being gay before transition, but straight after transition. Someone born female but attracted to males would be perceived as being straight before transition and gay after.

I think transgender might also be associated with sexual orientation because some people don't know how to categorize transgender people. They don't know if being gay means being attracted to someone of the same physical sex, or the same gender identity, same as someone's birth sex or same as someone's current sex. This also makes people concerned about their own sexual orientation if they have a relationship with a transgender person. If a cis/hetero man has a relationship with a transgender woman, he may worry that it makes him gay, if he thinks transgender women are not "real" women. So if a cit/hetero man has an issue with LGB people, then the idea having a relationship with a transwoman would cause him to have the same issues.

What gender identity and sexual orientation have in common is that they are preference for someone's sex: gender identity is preference for one's own sex, and sexual orientation is preference for an intimate partner's sex.

KathyLauren

I think the association is historical.  We have faced and still face some of the same oppression and discrimination that the LGBs have faced.  And there is some recognition, though by no means universal, that the "gay liberation" struggle in the 60s and 70s would have gotten nowhere without the help of the trans people.  Without us, Stonewall would have been just another police raid.

MetaLicious
On 11/30/2019 at 10:18 PM, ToniTone said:

In fact, I really think we could just simplify it to Q...

I intended to post this very thought.  What really unites everyone under the LGBTQ+ umbrella is simply not being cis-het.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 146 Guests (See full list)

• Just Lee
    • Carolyn Marie
    • MaryEllen
    • Tori M
    • Kelsey Brooke
    • KathyLauren
    • Jackie C.
    • Aidan5
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Bellarenea
    Newest Member
    Bellarenea

1. michelle_kitten
      michelle_kitten
    • sleepinflame
      So much to unpack here.   Yes, visuals go right into a man's sex drive.  It's about identifying healthy women who can survive childbirth.  Wide hips, etc.   Scent.  -- got to go into pheromones.  My info is from studies 15 years ago, so maybe there's an update.   Men give off pheromones in their sweat.  Women do not.  Women give off pheromones in their urine.  The purpose of the pheromones is to identify mates who will give you a healthy immune system match.  Your family shares some metahistocompatibility-complex keys with you, so they do not register as good mates, the children will not have healthy immune systems.  Women can tell from men's sweat if they will make a good mate in this sense.  The study I'm thinking of had boxes with sweaty shirts (day old)  and women sniffed them.  The shirts with a good immune system match smelled like yeasty baked bread to the women.  The ones with a bad match smelled like dirty locker room shirts.   On to a Finish study about pheromones.  They studied the brain response with MRI scans.  The cases where straight women smelled the sweat and were attracted lit up a part of the brain having to do with sexual attraction.  The cases where it was a bad match lit up the smell sensory part of the brain.  Same with gay men with male pheromones.  Same with straight men with women's pheromones.  Gay women were a mixed bag.  I presume some of them just don't like men.   My "sweaty underarm smell" faded about two years ago, same time as my mental changes.  "Go figure," as we say in New York.   Grace  
    • Tori M
      Do you have any elaboration on this statement?  I'm not sure I completely follow.  I've heard men say, "I met my dream girl, etc, etc, and hours after we departed I could still smell her!"  Actually, that might have went, "...I could still smell her perfume."  Is it specifically other peoples natural scent that men's skin doesn't retain?  It sure seems to retain their own!  Is a man's skin moister or dryer than a woman's?  Your exercise seems to demonstrate that moisture attracts and holds aromas (e.g. the licking of the lips).  Relating that to weather, I think that's true in nature (e.g. rain, ocean, and damp forest smells).
    • KathyLauren
      Regarding the bowel movements, prunes are your friend.  Prune juice if you need some “Drano”, or just prunes themselves for ongoing maintenance.
    • sleepinflame
      Tori,   I am non-binary.  I had very strong male qualities and strong female qualities.  I'm glad the male has faded and the female can be more to the front, I like myself better.  Your thread is entitiled "Brain Dysphoria".  I found a definition of dysphoria which includes that:   From Brynnn Tannehill: Q: What does it mean to be transgender? A: The term transgender describes individuals whose inherent sense of their own gender doesn't match the sex they were assigned at birth. Many transgender individuals have experienced some degree of gender dysphoria, which is an intense and persistent sense of distress or discomfort with their birth sex.   I have tremendous discomfort with those male qualities that I listed.  This definition includes me.  The transgender piece too.   Thanks for writing! --Grace  
    • Tori M
      I know exactly what you mean.  If a girlfriend is telling me her private thoughts, I want to respond to her in a female mindset.  Maybe I do, cuz women have always seemed unusually comfortable sharing their thoughts/experiences with me despite looking like a man.  But I've never felt my responses were exactly right.     I wonder if this is part of what's happening to me now.  I've been thinking it might be my thyroid condition... maybe it's both.  Two years ago my T tested in the low 200's; seems normal for my age but I don't know for sure.  But lately it feels like it plummeted.  It also feels like I'm getting a boost of estrogen but I'm not taking any. I never had a male ego and my male lust was always tempered with the envy many of us trans-gals feel toward women.  Male anger I had plenty of... not violent, mind you, and mostly with things, not people.  I hated that.  On hormones I would cry instead.  That felt right.  That anger has suddenly subsided tremendously but I'm not crying instead, I just seem to have more patience which I've been attributing to aging.   However, I have not felt the gradual decline over 10 years like you described, Grace.  That might be because I've always felt my T was low since my early '20's (and I wasn't complaining!).   Anyway, I'm happy to see you are finding more peace and balance with age, Grace.  It's nice to get something positive out of the aging process, isn't it?  Enjoy it!   Tori
    • Aidan5
      Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to write this, I really appreciate it :))    Every penny I make I put towards my savings, of course I am currently looking for a job but it's even harder now with the Corona Virus, because my stepmom won't even let me go outside. I was looking for jobs on base, since I live on base. I am also moving in with my aunt and I already have an internship lined up for summer. :))
    • Jackie C.
      Hey! 😋   So yeah, that area is really, really rich in blood flow. it's going to bruise.   I'm glad you're feeling better sweetie. Hang in there, you'll be healed before you know it. The same blood-vessel rich environment that causes the bruising aids healing so long as you remember to eat right. Bodies need fuel after all.   Take care of yourself! Hugs!
    • ShawnaLeigh
      Update Two. *The swelling seems to of subsided almost completely but the bruising is a horror show still.  I've never had bruising in my life as I basically needed to be hit by a train to get any at all. This looks terrible and to the point I get squeamish over it.  I still wonder just how they preformed this surgery, but then again, I may not truly want to know looking at these bruises.   *I had to take some photos and send them to "my doctor" and she evaluated them remotely and said it all looks normal to her.  She gave me further instruction on how to care for myself in the next few days to lesson the swelling and bruising.  Basically don't do anything and ice it.  Take over the counter pain meds as prescribed.   *Pain?  None at all today.  So I am not taking any of the pain meds prescribed but I have taken Tylenol to reduce swelling should it reoccur.   I get a tad queasy at times from moving around but over all I am not having pain.  I'm able to walk normally and it was suggested I do so to avoid clots and stiffness in my limbs.  Still no lifting but I was able to do minor chores like dishes and cooking so I am not totally useless still.   Ive stopped using my ice pack as the temporary one they gave me started to leak so I used a zip lock bag and that leaked too.  So I was mad and decided I'm done with that.  LOL   *I am able to close my legs together and sleep normally on my sides so I am sleeping much better now.  I still can not cross them like before but that's not a priority as of yet.   *I had my first big bowl movement this morning and I was nervous as the doctors say to not push very hard until the incision is healed over.  Which I am not thinking it is completely at this point.  It took me a while trying to "just let it happen" on its own.  LOL   This is no JackieC graphic posting but I hope it helps.  
    • ShawnaLeigh
      Wow I am really surprised and happy with all the honest feedback.  I certainly like to comparisons to from my profile picture to this quickie pic I took.  I will be in full daily makeup tomorrow and will snap a pic for this thread to see if it still stands that I am now a blond.  LOL Thank you all for the feedback.  
    • Oh_Kay
      Shawna,   I like it! I think blonde is a very good choice for you.   Kay    
    • Patti Anne
      I resisted posting it for about a day, then this morning Shawna said something to the effect of 'I'm surprised you didn't post a response!' That was all it took! LOL!
    • Ethan da potato
      I mean I didn't lie!!! I just was 1% feeling better!! now I am 95% the rest is as usual XD
    • Ethan da potato
      hehe few ok, and thanx guys I actually feel better now, for reel this time 😅
    • JustineM
      Thanks, worn out but safe here. And yeah, that is a sleek looking machine. Been trying to follow the testing and development of the program as closely as I can. 
    • sleepinflame
      Bingo.  This is my main reason to be here.  I don't care about my body, but I want my mind to be more feminine.  I don't care about casual social interactions, but I want to relate to close women friends as a woman.  And all of the other mental things you mentioned.   I have mostly noticed it in the changes in my brain with aging, with the natural loss of hormones.  I've always been the most verbal engineer I know, but the changes I've noticed are the loss of certain terrible male qualities which I hate and I am glad to be rid of.  I always loved child rearing, I always wanted to be in the women's group at a party, not with the men, but I had all these male mental qualities too.   I feel that from age 48 to 58 my hormones have changed pretty drastically.  At 48, I started to notice that sex was more about the interaction with my partner than the way males have lust.  As the years went by I noticed things that you would expect, decline in libido, general loss of energy, etc.  Then, all of a sudden, about two years ago, there was a tipping point.   I can identify three male qualities which I was no longer seemed to dominate my mind.  It was if a spell were broken.   male lust, male anger, and male ego.  I was just free of these things and I could see how they had been with me all of my life.  I have these other qualities which I would identify as female, but they were just part of me, not controlling me.   --Grace  
  • Upcoming Events