Jump to content
  • Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

    We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

lauraincolumbia

Re-Introduction

Recommended Posts

lauraincolumbia

Hi All,

I'm finally ready to do a more detailed introduction.  I've been somewhat active in the forums for months now, but finally think I'm ready to tell my story.  Not sure if this is the right place.

I am a questioning girl in her mid-upper-forties in central Maryland (Between Baltimore and DC). 

Not sure which came first, not feeling right as a boy, or being jealous of my sisters, that my mom would take them shopping, hair salon, get nails done, etc, while leaving me at home.  Not sure it matters, but I've been wearing and feeling natural in girl's/women's clothes since I was a pre-teen.  The attitude in my family was "Do it if you must, but we don't want to see it, and don't take anyone elses clothes, and don't spend money."  which led to a lifelong habit of hiding everything, not just gender issues and eating habits, but sports, music and school, and in adult-hood, work, life, income, and spending habits.

I'm married twice, to very different, yet in ways similar women.    My first marriage ended in part because of my gender issues, but the final straw for me was that she didn't want to see any kind of counselor to work/talk about her own issues, let alone us as a couple.

I've now been married to another woman for three and half years.  In general we get along great, with many similarities and interests.  We seem to love each other very much.  She discovered not long before our wedding that I had gender issues, but she thought it was "just" crossdressing, and that I could/would stop.    We start going to couples counseling, but in reality it's focused on me.  Two years later, she found out that I was back to doing it, I swore I would stop again.  We bring it up with the couple's counselor, and refocus on me.    Six months later, she finds out again. 

We are still seeing the same therapist, but by now a lot of the attention had shifted to starting a family ( she really wanted to, but I was on the fence).  My issues with gender were only part of the concern.

As she's getting older, she created a deadline, that by the end of this year, realistically before Christmas 2019, we had to make the decision to start fertility treatments to start a family.  This became intense a month ago, with a little over a week left.   A lot of discussions were "forced", i.e. things that should have taken time to work out, have to be discussed and settled before I'm ready to start a family.

A lot of things that mattered to her before, i.e. finances, owning a house, jobs, vacations, no longer matter to her.  She just wants to start a family.  She claims she accepts me for who I am.  Unfortunately, she doesn't behave that way.  To me, her acceptance is "you're compelled to do it, but don't do it".

Our couples therapist is super experienced with degrees from the best schools, she has told us that she can handle all of the scenarios, but when I really pushed on the questions of "Am I a crossdresser, or am I really transgender", she finally gave in and said she would bring in a gender therapist as a consultant, but after a month, the best she did was print out a few pages from DSM V.

So, after today's couples therapy session, I'm back to feeling very alone and ready to back to being separated/divorced, so I can figure out where I belong.

Sorry for the long winded reintroduction...

Share this post


Link to post
Jackie C.

S'okay. We've all got stories. I'd wager most of them are longer than, "Hey. I'm trans."

 

I still think it was really unprofessional for your counselor to do that though. Proves that even "the best people" can still be asshats. Going to "the best schools" doesn't make you good people. Graduating from "the best schools" doesn't even mean you're good at your job.

 

I'm also sorry about your spouse. My wife and I get along great, but unfortunately we're in the minority. It can work, but most women don't take it as well. Especially if they're so big on starting a family. Personally, I'm big on adoption but Susan and I are both genetic train wrecks anyway so I'm probably biased.

 

Hugs!

Share this post


Link to post
Jani

Hi Laura, 

It seems like your therapy sessions are going no where, and fast.  This counselor doesn't know what she's doing.  As to your marriage, from my perspective out in the ether it doesn't look good as your wife seems (from the little you write) to be laser beam focused on having a baby.  She's pushing aside your gender issue to get to her main point.  I can't see this working out well.  Sorry.  I assume she is a little bit younger than you?  If she persists, adoption may be an option but it does take time.  

 

After all this time you need, deserve to be happy.  If things don't work out at least you know you tried. 

 

Hugs,

Jani 

Share this post


Link to post
ShawnaLeigh

I am sorry to hear of your struggles.  I know it can be hard.  One part of your post stood out to me though as I went through it with my second wife too. Our marriage was turbulent and rocky and hard to deal with. We butt heads a lot and it definitely looked to be going nowhere.  Then out of the blue she wanted a baby.  All of a sudden she was a loving and understanding wife and partner. Things were great! Then 2 months after our daughter was born she asked me for a divorce.  She totally intended this all along but thought it would be better for her if she could rake me over the coals for child support since their was no way she could get alimony.  
So beware the women who all of a sudden wants a baby or makes it a timeline goal and presses for it.  
Jmo but true story. 
In fact she did this to two others after me.  

Share this post


Link to post
ToniTone

Thank you for sharing this part of yourself hun! I hope whatever happens in your relationship, it's for the best for your happiness, and hers too. We do need to be self-focused sometimes though, or we might never be happy. 

 

I totally relate to growing up feeling envious of females, shopping and dressing up and all. I remember always wanting that but it felt forbidden, you know... 

 

~Toni

Share this post


Link to post
Rachel76

Thanks for sharing this, IMO you deserve happiness, I too struggled with the same feelings you have and it took a major life event to open my eyes. My wife of 20 yrs knew from the start I was at the least a cross dresser and she tried to accept it in much the same ways as yours (“I know you have to but I can’t really accept it”) type of way. Now that these things have happened and I came out as what I truly am my marriage is better. I had geared myself for divorce as well knowing her history. Like others have said be very careful of her sudden focus and deadline for a baby. Life is too short to make others happy when you can’t be happy yourself. It’s actually impossible to do. Find a new therapist and do some true soul searching to find out who you really are. Unfortunately it sounds like she won’t be able to be there for you, remember that’s not really her fault or yours, it was brought about by uncontrollable circumstances. I hope you can find yourself through all this and find happiness in whoever you may be.

Share this post


Link to post
TammyAnne

Some really great thoughts shared with you here, Laura. I'm not sure I could add much to those except to state my belief that we are not on this earth to be unhappy. Each and every one of us deserves happiness.

Time is so limited in life that it's not worth trying to sacrifice your own happiness in the (probably in vain) hopes of making someone else happy - especially if they seem to be shifting the goal posts.

Let me offer you a big hug and a thank you for sharing this.

I logged in this morning feeling very isolated and alone. You've reminded me that I am not alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Jackie C.
14 hours ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

I am sorry to hear of your struggles.  I know it can be hard.  One part of your post stood out to me though as I went through it with my second wife too. Our marriage was turbulent and rocky and hard to deal with. We butt heads a lot and it definitely looked to be going nowhere.  Then out of the blue she wanted a baby.  All of a sudden she was a loving and understanding wife and partner. Things were great! Then 2 months after our daughter was born she asked me for a divorce.  She totally intended this all along but thought it would be better for her if she could rake me over the coals for child support since their was no way she could get alimony.  
So beware the women who all of a sudden wants a baby or makes it a timeline goal and presses for it.  
Jmo but true story. 
In fact she did this to two others after me.  

 

Yikes. Maybe I AM too trusting. My brain doesn't work like this at all. I can't even imagine what kind of person would even do something like that to a partner. That's just awful @ShawnaLeigh. I'm so very sorry that happened to you.

 

Hugs!

Share this post


Link to post
ShawnaLeigh
2 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

 

Yikes. Maybe I AM too trusting. My brain doesn't work like this at all. I can't even imagine what kind of person would even do something like that to a partner. That's just awful @ShawnaLeigh. I'm so very sorry that happened to you.

 

Hugs!

That was my problem too.  To trusting and willing to make things work.

I was so burned.

But I survived and picked myself up and went forth.

On a side note.  I have not spent time with this child since she was 8.  She is 24 now with her own daughter.  We chat on Facebook and I get to see pics of my granddaughter.  

Share this post


Link to post
lauraincolumbia

Thank you all for your valuable insights! Love this group!

Share this post


Link to post
Belle
On 12/12/2019 at 12:53 PM, lauraincolumbia said:

Hi All,

I'm finally ready to do a more detailed introduction.  I've been somewhat active in the forums for months now, but finally think I'm ready to tell my story.  Not sure if this is the right place.

I am a questioning girl in her mid-upper-forties in central Maryland (Between Baltimore and DC). 

Not sure which came first, not feeling right as a boy, or being jealous of my sisters, that my mom would take them shopping, hair salon, get nails done, etc, while leaving me at home.  Not sure it matters, but I've been wearing and feeling natural in girl's/women's clothes since I was a pre-teen.  The attitude in my family was "Do it if you must, but we don't want to see it, and don't take anyone elses clothes, and don't spend money."  which led to a lifelong habit of hiding everything, not just gender issues and eating habits, but sports, music and school, and in adult-hood, work, life, income, and spending habits.

I'm married twice, to very different, yet in ways similar women.    My first marriage ended in part because of my gender issues, but the final straw for me was that she didn't want to see any kind of counselor to work/talk about her own issues, let alone us as a couple.

I've now been married to another woman for three and half years.  In general we get along great, with many similarities and interests.  We seem to love each other very much.  She discovered not long before our wedding that I had gender issues, but she thought it was "just" crossdressing, and that I could/would stop.    We start going to couples counseling, but in reality it's focused on me.  Two years later, she found out that I was back to doing it, I swore I would stop again.  We bring it up with the couple's counselor, and refocus on me.    Six months later, she finds out again. 

We are still seeing the same therapist, but by now a lot of the attention had shifted to starting a family ( she really wanted to, but I was on the fence).  My issues with gender were only part of the concern.

As she's getting older, she created a deadline, that by the end of this year, realistically before Christmas 2019, we had to make the decision to start fertility treatments to start a family.  This became intense a month ago, with a little over a week left.   A lot of discussions were "forced", i.e. things that should have taken time to work out, have to be discussed and settled before I'm ready to start a family.

A lot of things that mattered to her before, i.e. finances, owning a house, jobs, vacations, no longer matter to her.  She just wants to start a family. 

 

 

On 12/12/2019 at 12:53 PM, lauraincolumbia said:

She claims she accepts me for who I am.  Unfortunately, she doesn't behave that way.  To me, her acceptance is "you're compelled to do it, but don't do it".

I know exactly how you feel! This is where I am at with my wife. This happened today again after she came home from a week long trip away with the kids.

 

Every time I hear those words (or the equivalent) I start feeling so sad deep down inside; so hopeless. I can't even wear undergarments or cross my legs differently. This time I started crying. Holding back tears is one of those culturally- expected attributes of manliness. So I told her that I will stop trying to be "manly" when it's fake. There are so many ways I've trained myself to behave "like a man" that it's going to be hard to even find which parts are my true self. She was fully accepting of that but I wonder exactly how it will play out. Is my "natural" beyond her threshold? 

 

That said, I actually do feel like she will start to come around to truly accepting it. I really hope so. And I hope yours does as well. 

 

On 12/12/2019 at 12:53 PM, lauraincolumbia said:

Our couples therapist is super experienced with degrees from the best schools, she has told us that she can handle all of the scenarios, but when I really pushed on the questions of "Am I a crossdresser, or am I really transgender", she finally gave in and said she would bring in a gender therapist as a consultant, but after a month, the best she did was print out a few pages from DSM V.

Totally agree with everyone else. That's irresponsible.

 

On 12/12/2019 at 12:53 PM, lauraincolumbia said:

So, after today's couples therapy session, I'm back to feeling very alone and ready to back to being separated/divorced, so I can figure out where I belong.

Sorry for the long winded reintroduction...

Ugh... I don't have that option. I simply could not bear to be without my wife. It's not codependency, just true love. If I have to "suck it up" forever then I will, regardless of what happens to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Belle
19 hours ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

I am sorry to hear of your struggles.  I know it can be hard.  One part of your post stood out to me though as I went through it with my second wife too. Our marriage was turbulent and rocky and hard to deal with. We butt heads a lot and it definitely looked to be going nowhere.  Then out of the blue she wanted a baby.  All of a sudden she was a loving and understanding wife and partner. Things were great! Then 2 months after our daughter was born she asked me for a divorce.  She totally intended this all along but thought it would be better for her if she could rake me over the coals for child support since their was no way she could get alimony.  
So beware the women who all of a sudden wants a baby or makes it a timeline goal and presses for it.  
Jmo but true story. 
In fact she did this to two others after me.  

Oh Shawna! That makes me want to scream for you! It's so utterly selfish and cruel. Plus, a child should never be used in that way!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 111 Guests (See full list)

    • Charlize
    • Timber Wolf
    • Cyndee
    • Juelie_Atlas
    • A. Dillon
    • KathyLauren
    • Yurian Ariake
    • Petra Jane
    • MetaLicious
    • QuestioningAmber
    • Jackie C.
    • KymmieL
    • Belle
    • ShawnaLeigh
  • Topics With Zero Replies

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      70,000
    • Total Posts
      633,160
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      6,294
    • Most Online
      8,356

    Carrie Davidson
    Newest Member
    Carrie Davidson
    Joined
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Alice
      Alice
      (30 years old)
  • Posts

    • Charlize
      I'm so glad you stayed with us and have shared your experience.  Life throws things at us that seem impossible but a bit of help and time gets us through.   Going to the hospital was the right move!   Hugs,   Charlize
    • KathyLauren
      Hi, Trisha.  Welcome.   I am happy for you that your partner is supportive.  I was a nervous wreck when I told my wife, but she said, "Whatever you decide to do, I will support you."  That kind of support is beautiful to receive.   Regards, Kathy
    • Cyndee
      giggling this morning in the background 
    • ShawnaLeigh
      She was wanting me in once per week to get the other issues ironed out before heading into real conditioning.  I do have a ton of physical exercises and stretches I have to do and a few voice training techniques to do while driving.
    • ShawnaLeigh
      Isn't that the truth.
    • Miss Bunny
      I have learned never to rub your tummy while in the maternity clothing section of a department store. Especially if you have a bit of tummy. And are not wearing overly wise clothing.   So there I was, shaped wrong, apparently, wearing a house dress, over my long skirt, looking stupidly maternal (I was not aware of that at the time), and absent mindedly rubbing my tummy. "Is this your first?" a passing woman commented. My brain didn't get it fast enough, and as I have a son,  I responded, "no." 2 minutes later, my brain kicked in (the woman had moved on), 'you idiot, that was NOT the correct answer'.   And I don't always learn the first time. Same outfit (some of us never learn), grocery store, reaching for something almost out of my reach. "here, let me get that for you dear, you shouldn't be doing that in your condition." Blind sided, I accepted the item, didn't know what to say, and the nice man moved on.   Groan
    • Jackie C.
      Once a month isn't a terrible pace. It's not super quick, but I bet there's plenty of homework between lessons with things you can work on. I was only doing two lessons a month and that kept me PLENTY busy most of the time.   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      This situation here is why I have asthma (and a couple other autoimmune problems). Don't poison the newborn. They will not thank you for it later in life.   I respect your right to do anything you like to and/or with your own body. However, I also ask that you respect the rights of everyone else not to have to absorb the fallout from your choices.   Hugs!
    • ShawnaLeigh
      I'm in voice therapy now but only two appointments deep and unfortunately they are spread out to just one per month.  I am struggling with it as I have a physical issue going on with me that effects my voice box.  I don't see it as a real issue at first as it puts me in a gender neutral voice pitch but apparently I have to get back to my original male voice before I can try to learn to manipulate my female voice.  (Sigh) However like the other ladies pointed out if you can nail the "way" females talk and gesture while they talk that is half the battle.  There are tons of apps on your phone that can help teach you this to a point but the best teacher is listening like Vicky said and mimic what you hear and learn from others.  
    • Jackie C.
      Yes, that's key. You can slow down to help others adjust, but never, ever stop striving for what you need. You're important too. I'm sure the two of you can work something out.   You're absolutely right, there is no "perfect time." If you wait for the perfect moment, you'll never get anywhere. There are no... well very few... perfect moments. You can't count on them and usually only realize they were there after they're gone.   Hugs!
    • ShawnaLeigh
      OMG I would of died right there.  LOL That is to funny and I am still giggling out loud over picturing this.   I have no stories yet to tell of embarrassing events as trans.  I'm just now venturing out of the privacy of my home as "Me".   I had one rude occurrence the other day were I pulled into a spot close to a door for my therapist office building and apparently some guy in a pick up truck was "waiting" on the spot, which he wasn't as he was driving around the circle looking for any spot.  My timing was better then his.  LOL He stops and shouts at me "Stupid Punt (with a "C") which of course shocked and irritated me to no end.  I said nothing but waved in victory with the appropriate sign language and a big smile.  Though I was embarrassed as others saw this too.  Not very lady like.    
    • Jackie C.
      Hey Trisha!   Welcome to TransPulse! It's lovely to meet you.   Your story is pretty common here with some variations. We're all pretty familiar... well, all the MtF gals here are pretty familiar with how things go. FtM's have their own struggles, but they're supportive too so here we are. I think you'll find us a supportive and friendly community. Welcome to the family!   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      I strongly recommend a voice coach. There are a number of voice coaches that can be either contacted in person (depending on where you live) or you could go with an online program. I personally achieved good results with the Female Voice Club when feminizing my voice, but I have friends who have achieved voices they're satisfied with using other coaches and programs.   This is one of those things where what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. I found it to be incredibly rewarding. However, there are also surgical options. You should still have a voice coach afterwards (because of all the things Vicky said and more) to get inflections, speaking patterns, etc... nailed down, but surgery will absolutely fix your pitch if you can't do it yourself.   Good luck sweetie!   Hugs!
    • ShawnaLeigh
      I totally agree and will go further that I liked that guy and appreciate everything he did in my life.  He is just not the true me, just a part of the person I am now.  (I think I posted something similar to this just a few minutes ago in another post.  LOL)  
    • ShawnaLeigh
      You are definitely in the right place.  The best place to get acceptance love and support.  You are not alone and nothing you have to ask is to sensitive as long as it is PG rated.  We have young folks here too. I asked some weird and confusing questions when I joined and no one will judge you or say anything that is not there to help you. Welcome and I am glad you found us.  
  • Upcoming Events

×
×
  • Create New...