• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Need Trans recommendations for electric razor

ShawnaLeigh

So I need to shave “everything” every two to three days.  This is obviously not super good for my skin I’m sure.  It is taking me to long in the shower to do this and it’s not something I want to rush.  I am talking “everything” between my nose and my toes, as one lady said before. 
My skin is super dry from this as you can imagine!  Winter is dry enough but 2-3 times per week scrapings it is getting ridiculously dry.  I’d like to just do a wet shave on the weekends so use an electric razor for those in between shavings.  
So I am asking for recommendations from a trans gal who may still have a lot of body hair to shave still. As I do.  

i looked online but every is awesome and the best.  I don’t trust some reviews either.  

• Forum Moderator

I won't get specific as I am not over there, being in the Uk. Just to say that I use several different shavers depending on the area of my body, and even an epilator for underarms. I have collected them over a number of years. I have always used electric shavers. Unless you have a friend to do your back (if needed) I would think about how you get there.

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

Hi Shawna,

With regard to the dry skin problem, I recommend using a moisturizing soap when showering, and using moisturizer all over at least once a day. Some moisturize more often than that. 

Like Tracy, I have multiple devices for various different things. You may have to bite the bullet and pay the money to experiment a little with various hair removal devices.

Lots of love, 

Timber Wolf ?

I have not found a decent answer to this, I have found a combination of a wet razor and epilator works quite well for my legs, and most of the time an electric shaver is fine for my face, but I will follow it up with a wet razor if I plan to do makeup. Unfortunately most of the time as I am still presenting male I have admitted to myself I cannot afford the blades or the time in the bathroom each day and have gone down to shaving as infrequently as I can stand to.  Most of the women I know only shave before going swimming or out on a big night out - unless they are planning on wearing skirts which is more of a summer thing. So in my head I'm just being normal lol ?

59 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

With regard to the dry skin problem, I recommend using a moisturizing soap when showering, and using moisturizer all over at least once a day. Some moisturize more often than that.

I do this every morning after my work out. Caress soap. Then use lotion over my whole body.  Though admittedly I am still trying to use up all my man lotions first.  

39 minutes ago, DeeDee said:

I have not found a decent answer to this, I have found a combination of a wet razor and epilator works quite well for my legs, and most of the time an electric shaver is fine for my face, but I will follow it up with a wet razor if I plan to do makeup. Unfortunately most of the time as I am still presenting male I have admitted to myself I cannot afford the blades or the time in the bathroom each day and have gone down to shaving as infrequently as I can stand to.  Most of the women I know only shave before going swimming or out on a big night out - unless they are planning on wearing skirts which is more of a summer thing. So in my head I'm just being normal lol ?

My wife tells me most Women don’t bother shaving in the winter due to the dryness and that everything is long sleeves and pants or leggings.  I understand this.  At least for us northern girls. 
However she doesn’t grow body hair like a male can.  HRT is starting to help but not eliminate it.  

Wet razor and epilator for me, except face which gets an electric razor.

I use olive oil soap, then coconut oil for my skin.

Right now I’m using an electric trimmer all over. My wife is still not a fan of me shaving anything, so I keep everything trimmed. It helps a bit, also is saving me a fair amount of time in my routine without shaving every other day or three. 

2 hours ago, SaraAW said:

saving me a fair amount of time in my routine without shaving every other day or three. 

This is one of my chief goals.  To save time on those mornings I take extra time in the shower shaving my entire body.  I tried to do some sections one day and other sections the next but its all or nothing for me.  I hate any body hair every day so I can not be satisfied with just partial shavings.  If that makes sense.

Plus I get griped at for running the hot water to long doing this so I am hoping to either eliminate it all together and just do a wet shave every so often.  Then maintain with the electric razor.  I just don know what is a good electric razor to remove typical male body hair.  Yes it is getting finer but not entirely.  

The best anti hair fomula i have ever tried is estrogen. It would seem to stop it dead.

I have mediteraian ancestry so i was quite dark. About the only place hair didnt grow was my back. Now after taking the E i shave only my knees and under arms once a month. and thats only because they have some fine hair.

cannot recommend estrogen enough

I did use to wax. people say how painful it is. yes it is the first couple of times but once its done its done for a month or so and when it grows back its much less rooted.

However pre hormones. waxing strips for ladys didnt cut the mustard. Veet use to do one for men. But i dont think its on sale anymore. Not in the UK anyway However they still do a veet for men cream.  Dont forget those roots are much stronger and corse on the male body

Epilators. Tried that a few times. Not something i would recommend. I do not miss that feeling of having your hair ripped out by a rusty pair of pliers

1 hour ago, Maid In Bedlam said:

The best anti hair fomula i have ever tried is estrogen. It would seem to stop it dead.

I have mediteraian ancestry so i was quite dark. About the only place hair didnt grow was my back. Now after taking the E i shave only my knees and under arms once a month. and thats only because they have some fine hair.

cannot recommend estrogen enough

Well hopefully I get these results.  I am on E now but for only a month so far. T blockers too.

I have used an epilator but it is a bit to aggressive for  full male hair.  Maybe once it thins out some.  But I agree.  It takes some serious teeth gritting to get through a session of that hay harvester action. 

I do not like waxing.  Not the pain of it.  I have tried the Veet stuff with messy horrible results.  Or I just was not doing it right.  I gave up on that and stuck with my old trusty men's face style razor.  I have one for the shower and one for my face.  I admit wet shaving does give me the desired results but sadly not for very long.

I have an added negative to this as I have to take a fairly powerful vitamin daily due to my bariatric surgery and the considerable low intake of food and nutrients.  This is for life.  This also makes the hair grow like wild fire.  I hope HRT curtails this too.

Well after reading a million reviews on several different brands I decided to go with a Philips wet/dry model.  There are so many brands I did not recognize the name of so I stayed away from them.  I purchased a mid-grade model so not a huge $$$ set back.  I will mention the model and pricing for those who are interested.  (I am not sure if we can do so openly or not.)

I will let anyone know once I have it and have had a fair amount of time to use and test it.  Considering my job as a BioMed is to test all manner of medical equipment I may have a good report.  LOL