• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Under Eating?

TTheta

For about 5 months now I find myself eating less and less, it's not that I don't like food I just stopped eating as much. It started with skipping breakfast and eating lunch and dinner, and a little later it became skipping breakfast and lunch. But I am not feeling Hungry during this time, the thought of food makes me feel like I ate to much and can't take another bite despite not eating. My dad recently noticed that I stopped taking lunches to school, my brother asked me about it but I told him I just eat at home. I don't feel worse than before, this can't be my medication because it came before I started taking it. I am pre-Everything and only bind. I don't know what this could be, if anyone knows that would be helpful to know, thank you for your time :)

• Forum Moderator

That's not abnormal for teenagers. Keep an eye on your weight, just in case. If you start dropping a lot of weight suddenly, then see a doctor. Otherwise, don't eat if you're not hungry. That's a good way to develop an eating disorder. Your appetite will likely come back when your body decides it wants to put on another growth spurt.

Hugs!

Yeah, I have the same thing. For a long time I thought "well, I never want to look like an attractive girl" so I would overeat and do nothing, but I pretty recently decided to do something. I lost about 15 pounds in a couple months and now have a pretty regular routine. Over time though, I realized that I wasn't really hungry, just stopped eating breakfast and have an apple for lunch. As long as you are listening to your body, and not starving yourself, then you should be fine.

• 2 months later...

I really didn't used to think about eating much. Sometimes I'd totally forget. I'm 6' 1'' tall. Currently I tip the scales at 179 lbs.So I guess I'm doing better than I used to. It's OK to be a little fluffy. My lowest weight was 129 lbs but that was during my cross country bicycling days.  I only ate high energy bars and drank a lot of water back then.  I'd faint from the lack of calories. Regaining consciousness laying on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere is certainly a wake up call that I should take better care of myself.

My advice to you is remember to eat. Your body needs the energy for what you are going through.

Stay healthy, Kiddo.

Stay Safe. Be smart.

FB_IMG_1542016135966[1].jpg

• 7 months later...

Recently I have been forcing myself not to eat because of dysphoria. I feel like I am fat for my age to begin with and now I don't feel hungry often and only eat one basic meal a day. 

• 1 year later...

I am eating a fraction of what I would normally. Lost a lot of weight. I is linked to my depression and I have been very ill (separate to this). I am trying to make sure what I eat is fresh fruit and veg. I drink lots of water and avoid too much sugary stuff. It is difficult, but I try to enjoy what I do eat to be a little normal. Perhaps my appetite is just reducing as I get older?
I looked into this and read that malnutrition can shut off testosterone production, leaving oestrogen still working. Is there a link to my body doing this without me being aware of it? The results of this have meant growth that hasn't been unwelcome. Now that has confused me. I am trying to be careful as that doesn't sound a good way to cope.

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Emma De said:

I am eating a fraction of what I would normally. Lost a lot of weight. I is linked to my depression and I have been very ill (separate to this). I am trying to make sure what I eat is fresh fruit and veg. I drink lots of water and avoid too much sugary stuff. It is difficult, but I try to enjoy what I do eat to be a little normal. Perhaps my appetite is just reducing as I get older?
I looked into this and read that malnutrition can shut off testosterone production, leaving oestrogen still working. Is there a link to my body doing this without me being aware of it? The results of this have meant growth that hasn't been unwelcome. Now that has confused me. I am trying to be careful as that doesn't sound a good way to cope.

No sweetie, starving yourself is a terrible idea. I like your dietary choices, but you still need to eat enough to sustain yourself. Malnutrition messes up your body in all kinds of ways and might hamper your ability to transition successfully in the future. Please find a therapist to help you with your depression.

Hugs!

4 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

No sweetie, starving yourself is a terrible idea. I like your dietary choices, but you still need to eat enough to sustain yourself. Malnutrition messes up your body in all kinds of ways and might hamper your ability to transition successfully in the future. Please find a therapist to help you with your depression.

Hugs!

Thanks Jackie.

I do try to eat, but a few mouthfuls and I am full up. It hasn't been done on purpose, but the weight is still falling, but a lot slower now. I try to eat things I like but the appetite is just reduced now. I am seeing medical people for other things so not on a cliff edge that way. I do feel guilty when I look in a mirror and enjoy the slimline me though.

What do you like to eat @Emma De ?🙃

If it's fruit or vegetables, there are options to add to your daily meals to help increase your diet.

Try to make every meal a treat to yourself, is the first step. It's your reward of your efforts and sacrifices, so you can continue to maintain and provide for yourself.

Try adding fruit/juice to your water.

At least you recognize the pattern and are seeking answers. 🤗 Eat well and stay strong.

43 minutes ago, Mx.Drago said:

What do you like to eat @Emma De ?🙃

If it's fruit or vegetables, there are options to add to your daily meals to help increase your diet.

Try to make every meal a treat to yourself, is the first step. It's your reward of your efforts and sacrifices, so you can continue to maintain and provide for yourself.

Try adding fruit/juice to your water.

At least you recognize the pattern and are seeking answers. 🤗 Eat well and stay strong.

Thank you Mx.Drago
I try to be health in an unhealthy world and with a mind that is rather clouded. I ate more today than I have for months. So perhaps externalising it here helped. Peace and love to all.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have also fallen into this since last year. I have never really been a big eater, plus I have digestion issues, but last year, aside from dealing with my dysphoria, I had started watching a lot of fitness videos, and the like. I started exercising just about everyday. I was most definitely out of shape, and I have been gradually seeing the weight loss. I was never 'big' to begin with, but when I started seeing how the weight loss started changing my appearance. I started cutting, and counting calories. I don't know if I have developed an eating disorder, but I generally feel like eating is punishing myself, and for that matter, my digestion problems have only exasperated the issue. Maybe this sounds weird, but it sort of feels like my stomach shrunk (?), because even when I do eat, I feel overly full with certain portions, that when I was younger I definitely could eat no issue. 

Some days I am only eating 200-400 calories, but other days I do eat maybe 1500-1700 calories (which I have started thinking of as binging). Apparently, both are not enough, especially when I have still been exercising at home regularly. I am not at the point where I am at an unhealthy weight (as I think I must have had more bodyfat than I thought), but I am sure if I continue I will get there by the end of the year, or even my birthday. 

• Forum Moderator

Yeah, 200-400 calories is WILDLY unhealthy unless you're the size and build of a Barbie doll (an actual Barbie who stands at about, what? Nine inches?) Each pound of muscle consumes 50 kCal a day to mantain so undereating isn't doing you any favors. As for what IS healthy, well, that depends more on your size, gender, hormone status, etc...

And yeah, that sounds like you're developing an unhealthy relationship with food.

Hugs!

On 12/19/2019 at 5:26 PM, TTheta said:

I don't know what this could be, if anyone knows that would be helpful to know, thank you for your time

Please @TThetaTake this seriously. This is no professional diagnosis, but when I was a teen I felt similarly. I was anorexic. Someone noticed and I got help. This is the most deadly of mental disorders because it causes heart attacks for teens when the chemical imbalance is too great. To me it is a form of compulsive eating and my doctor and OA.org take care of it such that I'm now a relatively health 74 years old. You'll have a fabulous life ahead, I'm sure. You've already asked for help here and that's a big step. Stay with us. We need you. DM me if you like.

Yours, Davie

I have managed to stabilise my weight lose in recent months. I haven't lost more weight but have also not put weight on. My issue wasn't wanting to lose weight it was, I see now, a form of self abuse. I just didn't feel like eating or want to eat. I was having to force myself to eat. I see now that losing 3 to 4 stones so rapidly was dangerous.

The good thing is that I kept eating my porridge and fruit for breakfast. Not very much but it got me going and kept me going for the day. Even now I manage soup, as that doesn't seem to need so much effort to eat. I do make sure I have lots of vegetables in my soup as well as pulses and lentils etc...

I might have a small meal on the weekend that I split in two half for Saturday and the other half on Sunday.

It is a mental and physical battle for me. 

Finally admitting it here helped. It was a cry for help, so those that reached out thank you.

I am not fixed, not sure that is in my power. However, I am not losing weight now, but won't take it for granted. I know I am not healthy, but little steps and as long as I can talk about it here I know there is fight in me to keep going.

Good for you, @Emma DeI identify with the idea of it as a form of self abuse. For me I have to accept that what I need is spiritual, mental, and physical recovery and progress one day at a time. I wish you that miracle.

— Davie

9 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Yeah, 200-400 calories is WILDLY unhealthy unless you're the size and build of a Barbie doll (an actual Barbie who stands at about, what? Nine inches?) Each pound of muscle consumes 50 kCal a day to mantain so undereating isn't doing you any favors. As for what IS healthy, well, that depends more on your size, gender, hormone status, etc...

And yeah, that sounds like you're developing an unhealthy relationship with food.

Hugs!

I see. I mean, it's not an everyday thing, though I did almost only eat around 210 calories again for today, until I decided against it. Some days, like others previously stated in the thread, I just don't really feel hungry. I might just look into a more filling diet, or maybe shakes or something. 

16 hours ago, Josnn said:

Some days, like others previously stated in the thread, I just don't really feel hungry. 

I really understand this. Not feeling hungry is a constant.

I have been eating much slower as I am so lacking in energy this seems to make me feel less hungry. I have focussed on good food, no snacking or sugary food. As I can't eat much I make sure I eat well when I do. Fruit and vegetables have been my key foods, as I enjoy them. I have never looked at counting calories as it seems to be an extra step and a barrier to eating that will only stop me eating. 

The lack of energy and tiredness I struggle with is due to illness, but I try to tell myself I have to fuel my body to  be able to get better. This works some days and I hope helps. I find I can eat soup when tired and it is easy to cook. Although some days I barely eat apart from breakfast. Any other ideas on how to ensure I eat.

Back in the 70s, I sank into deep depression after having to divorce the mother of my children, who had abandoned us.

I remember going without food for way too long - maybe up to two weeks. A sudden urge to find a rest room while on the way to work led to me passing out at a service station, and I guess that was my wakeup call to start eating again.

Oddly, though, those events left me without a hunger reflex. I literally don't get hungry and have to make an effort to remember to eat. I'm not aware of any information regarding a connection between severe depression and the body's signal to consume nutrients, but I suppose that such a cause-and-effect relationship is possible.

15 hours ago, Colleen Henderson said:

Oddly, though, those events left me without a hunger reflex. I literally don't get hungry and have to make an effort to remember to eat. I'm not aware of any information regarding a connection between severe depression and the body's signal to consume nutrients, but I suppose that such a cause-and-effect relationship is possible.

That is so interesting, and I wish you well in you challenge. I understand this and it is the routine of the day that makes me think of food. I rarely get comfort or enjoyment from eating. It is a forced activity that just focuses on all that is wrong/ habit to eat at a set time seems to be my only chance. I hope I passes, but your comment and timeline makes me doubt it.

Best wishes and thoughts for all those who struggling with this.