• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Looking for lost hope.

ShawnaLeigh

So I am balding on top and thinning quite a bit moving towards the forehead.  I am on HRT for about a month now and I have been trying to grow all my head hair longer but the balding just doesn’t look like it’s changing much.  Maybe but not sure.  I use a DHT blocking shampoo every morning and 5% minoxidil twice a day 

How many girls here eventually got their hair back after being on hrt?  If you had, about how long did it take?  (I realize everyone is different so besides that factor.)

Im not against the wig route but would prefer my own hair. Obviously...

I have plans to visit a dermatologist real soon. I need to see if I have other options or suggestions on what to do.   I have an appointment tomorrow to get the referral for the Dermatologist. (I don’t see why me being trans needs a referral to ask about male pattern baldness but whatever)

I ask because I just don’t want to cut it all off quite yet still having hope for recovery.  Hence the “how long” question.  I would love to get at least shoulder length hair.  
When would you throw in the towel and have it cut to accommodate a wig? How long should you keep it if you wear wigs?

• Admin

The WPATH Standards of Care V7 have a table of the onset and duration of changes from HRT and the time frames are 3 to 6 months from beginning of HRT to first results and 3 to 6 years for those processes to complete.  I have gone to my current hair stylist for about 8 years now, and when I first started with her, I had been on HRT for two years and had places  on my head where the hair was thin, but by now is baby fine all over, but looks good.  I know that is no answer really but I hope it helps.

7 hours ago, VickySGV said:

The WPATH Standards of Care V7 have a table of the onset and duration of changes from HRT and the time frames are 3 to 6 months from beginning of HRT to first results and 3 to 6 years for those processes to complete.  I have gone to my current hair stylist for about 8 years now, and when I first started with her, I had been on HRT for two years and had places  on my head where the hair was thin, but by now is baby fine all over, but looks good.  I know that is no answer really but I hope it helps.

I do thank you. 

Like I mentioned.  I realize everyone's body chemistry is different and the same drugs can work differently in all of us to some degree.  I can already see "hair" changes body wide.  Some good, some barely, and some-nothing.  YET.  That's where I am at right now.  

As a male I wore ball caps almost constantly when I could.  I couldn't at work for most of my life but definitely did while off.  I was covering the thinning and most likely making it worse.  

I know there are many options I can take but I am not talking about replacements or surgeries or whatever.  Basically getting a good Dermatologist to check out my scalp/head and give me product suggestions and hope or red flag me.  

I may just be being impatient.

Ok. I know I am being impatient.  Sorry.  LOL

I hate balding. It's on both sides of my family and it's getting bad for me. A wig is my only option unless I can go on HRT,  and assuming it works. In my twenties it was long, beautiful, and silky (just like my doctored photo). Most cis women were envious. I would love to get it back.

I had my doctors visit yesterday to get my referrals.  She was very excited for me with the voice training.  However we discussed swapping out Spiro for Fin but she admits Fin is not as good a T blocker then Spiro.  I elected to not make that change.  She did tell me that hair “coming back” is not really going to happen.  These meds will just halt any more loss.  (Sigh)

My baldness is not down to bare skin though so maybe I can bring back what’s super fine on top. 

I asked about getting my T checked at this appointment which she agreed it’s good to know the progress.  However since my surgery in August It is nearly impossible for anyone to draw blood out of me.  I don’t know why my vines are so hard to find.  So I get stuck multiple times by multiple nurses.  Made worse that I hate needles.  So I have all sorts of holes in both arms and still not a drop of blood for testing.  Yes I was hydrated.  
Anyways I am still going to check with a Dermatologist before giving up hope on hair growth.  
I am trying to prepare myself for the thought of wigs the rest of my life.  

• Forum Moderator

Hair is such a nuisance!  I'd be just as glad to have none of it at all.  HRT has helped greatly with body hair but never did anything from baldness.  I simply shave the remainder and use a wig.  I have a relatively inexpensive model that often gets admiration from other women.  I sometimes get the wild thought that i should hand it over so they could have such "lovely hair".  Years later the wig is simply a part of me.  It needs only a quick brushoff and when they wear out i get another with the same style and color.  I have one in grey for Halloween :D.  

Please don't think wigs are absolutely terrible.  We get used to them like wearing a cap.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Ouch. Sorry to hear that @ShawnaLeigh. Personally, I've always had good veins. Now that I've lost the weight and been working out they're visible from space.

That was my experience with Spiro vs. Fin too. Doctor Mahaney started me on Fin, but it wasn't really doing the job so we switched to Spiro about six months in.

Wigs aren't so bad. I lost all my hair (I mean all of it, I don't even have nose hair) at 39 because I lost the genetic lottery just SO hard. I miss my original hair... it was amazing. It was thick, copper-auburn and had all those waves and feathers that it takes a team of hairdressers about an hour to put on a super-model. Now wigs. Wig shopping is fun though and I have the option of trying on a bunch of different looks and styles without having to grow my hair out myself. Once I save up a little bit more money, I'm going to try the fancy wig salon. It's funny, I've lived here for 27 years and I didn't realize we even HAD a fancy wig salon before a couple of months ago.

Hugs!

46 minutes ago, Charlize said:

Please don't think wigs are absolutely terrible.  We get used to them like wearing a cap

I just no experience with them. I will be ok once I Need one.   For now I’m still in guy mode out in public.

Though is it suggested to shave the head for a good fit or do you need something there to “hook on to”.  Lol

45 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

I'm going to try the fancy wig salon. It's funny, I've lived here for 27 years and I didn't realize we even HAD a fancy wig salon before a couple of months ago

We do have one here in my area.  I guess it’s very top rated.  They cater to medical cases but they have a whole department dedicated to trans as well.  They are high end though. By appointment only.  
They do offer other services too.  Makeup classes.  Photo shoots.  Etc. 

mid like to just go in and poke around but can’t.  I may make an appointment once I am closer to full presentation.  

• Forum Moderator

The one I usually wear has a built-in cap... Actually all the wigs I own have built-in caps. It cost about $80 (pictured left). Like @Charlize said, you wear it just like a cap. The "Shake and Go" part of the description is a total lie, I brush it out every morning, but it's a regular part of my day now. Then I check myself out of the mirror and I've got my smile to start the day.

It sounds like yours is fancier than mine. They cater to medical patients and balding men, but they won't turn down business. Of course I am a medical patient. I'm pretty sure they have walk-in hours (the website said something like 11-4 T-F) though they'll do evenings by appointment. Usually I go to the cheaper place within walking distance. It's mostly a wig shop, though they have a selection of clothes (that are WAY too flashy for me)... a friend bought me a couple of headscarves from there. She thought I should sparkle while I was at the gym. I don't wear my wig to the gym because that would cause extra wear and tear. I've gotten used to the headscarf look. If I'm wearing one with some drapery I feel like myself.

Hugs!