• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Krisvm

Historical Non-Binary Question

Krisvm

Hi,

This is a bit of an unusual question but I hope someone can help. I am going to be involved in an RPG thing set in the 60s. I want to continue to keep up my non-binary\genderqueer identity but I am aware the term did not exist. So I wondered if anyone was aware of a good term I could use?

I know singular They and Mx. were likely being used so those are probably fine  but whilst I am aware of some terms none seem like they would be right. Androgyne is probably closest but was more referring to Agender, "Hemaphrodite" would usually refer to intersex and "Transexual" was generally used to refer to male to female transgender people planning to undergo GCS.

Now I am sure no one would care too much if I was anachronistic but I like to go for accuracy in these things. Does anyone have any ideas of possible terms that might have been in use?

NB Adult  (Inactive)

Queer was a universally used word describing anyone that was odd having either different and androgenous gender proclivities and appearance or same sex attractions. All the rest of the identifications are more recent. I self identify as an androgenous non-binary type, in reality more of just a Eunuch having been surgically castrated.  Hope you find what fits.

Jani

In my younger days the word Queer was used to describe someone who was odd, but not in a nice way.  I used to describe things I did and the way I dressed as Androgynous.  In my circle I suppose not enough friends understood that term so it was safe.  In the late 60's/early 70's I would have never called myself queer as it would have indicated I was gay, which I wasn't.  

Jackie C.

I have nothing to add, but I'm desperately curious as to what you're doing. Geek to geek.

Hugs!

TammyAnne
7 hours ago, NB Adult said:

Queer was a universally used word describing anyone that was odd having either different and androgenous gender proclivities and appearance or same sex attractions. All the rest of the identifications are more recent. I self identify as an androgenous non-binary type, in reality more of just a Eunuch having been surgically castrated.  Hope you find what fits.

Yes. Although in my younger days I only heard the word "queer" as a suffix to "g_d d___ed". To this day, it is hard for me to hear the word, I've never been comfortable with it.

Susan R
1 hour ago, TammyAnne said:

Yes. Although in my younger days I only heard the word "queer" as a suffix to "g_d d___ed". To this day, it is hard for me to hear the word, I've never been comfortable with it.

Ah! ...the joys of childhood.  I can remember one of my first parades at age 7 in Ballard (a northwest Seattle suburb) with my Dad and my Uncle.  It was 1969.  Although I doubt it was a pride parade like we have today, several beautifully decorated floats came along that had colorful LGBT persons waving happily at the crowd along the street.  I thought it was so neat.  I didn’t understand what the floats were all about but from my Dad’s reaction, it couldn’t have been good.  He yelled out, “Go home, you d*mn*d queers!”.  I knew what ‘queers’ meant but had no idea my Dad hated anyone like this.  I never forgot that.  A few years later as I started to crossdress in secret against my mother’s wishes, I was scared to death my Dad was going to hate me if he found out or knew how I felt inside.  I still really don’t enjoy parades and find it hard to call myself ‘queer’.  Nothing a few hundred hours of good therapy can’t fix.

Susan R🌷

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now