• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Rachel76

Talked to the lgbt coordinator at the va today for assessment for gender dysphoria and told her my story. Found out it’s similar to many others she has had. Talked about programs available through the va which includes hrt, and prosthetic devices such as wigs and breast forms. They also have a transgender clinic that they run and a dedicated primary care for us. I have an appointment Monday with the primary care to discuss hrt and hopefully start hormones soon! I’m excited for this next step. Also they will use my

preferred name and pronouns only as I want them to which is also great. Many, many vets are trans, possibly as high as 20% and so the va is very progressive with treatment. Anyway, if you ever decide to use the va health system it truly is good. At least where I am!

Jani

Very good for you Rachel!  I wish you all my best.

Is that clinic in Manchester or Concord?  

Jani

Rachel76

It’s in manchester

MiraM

I have found the care at my VA Medical Center to be excellent as well.  My therapist is the head of the LGBTQ+ care team at the hospital I go to.  My Endocrinologist has been great, even finding a serious medical condition my PCP missed.  The prosthetic department has been top notch, and I am beginning laser hair removal through the VA this month.

In the early 2000's, when I originally began to transition, it was a different story.  They have come a long way in the last several years.  Now they only need to change their policy on Gender Affirming Surgeries.

Janeshannon

My VA here in the Seattle area is pretty good also.  My only complaint is they are a long ways away, and most of their care is offered in house only.  I am going to them for voice training, and I really like the SLP I see.  I would happily go to them for more things, but the drive is too long, and they do not provide services beyond what TRICARE covers.  

I completely agree with the gender affirming surgeries comment!

Take Care,

Jane

KymmieL

The Cheyenne VA hospital is great as far as I am concerned. I have had no troubles at all. My Dr's are fantastic. Unfortunately they have no endo. I will be seeing the one down at the Denver VA. Good thing I get travel pay. Just recently found out that I can claim travel for any appointment at VA based on my disability percentage. My GYN's nurse found out for me.

I feel totally safe when I am at the VA. I use the ladies room. dress how I feel.of course girly.

Kymmie

Miss Night

Wow I have never gone to the VA. After reading things here I may have to go see if they can do something for me as well. I am on HRT. I will be on HRT for the rest of my life. I had my testicles removed as part of my transition. 

Rachel76

Miss Night definitely go see what they can do for you. Even if you have co pays they will be cheaper than your insurance I’m sure

Bree76

New here and you all just tickled me. I have my 1st appointment t Women's Health next week down in Los Angeles and to hear talk of breast forms and laser hair removal? Got me misty eyed here because finances are tight, I'm on unemployability and SSDI so expenses are so daunting!

TammyAnne

Even down here in Arkansas, the VA is quite serious about helping veterans who are trans. I say "even" because Arkansas is not exactly the most progressive state.

As my gender therapist pointed out to me, if someone in the system isn't properly respectful and helpful, they're going to get a good talking to by their senior rater.

TA

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 100 Guests (See full list)

• ToniTone
    • Markjvp
    • MaryMary
    • KathyLauren
    • Belle
    • J.Ryan
    • Astrid
    • A. Dillon
    • Dearhart
    • jae bear
    • JoniSteph
    • MaryEllen
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Destiny444
    Newest Member
    Destiny444

1. Emmacd
      Emmacd
      (43 years old)
    2. Fish(i just want answers)
      Fish(i just want answers)
    3. Rainford
      Rainford
    • ToniTone
      Welcome Ivy! This forum is a very supportive place with lots of friendly people. Glad you are here with us 💕   ~Toni
    • Charlize
      Welcome Ivy. My time here certainly has helped me live as and accept myself. Hope you find the same!   Hugs,   Charlize
    • MaryMary
      I spent a lot of time learning to talk with a deep voice and a lot of time learning to "retalk" with a higher voice, lol This puberphonia thing earned me a lot of abuse, lol
    • Charlize
      I have never heard of that.  Interesting for sure.  Perhaps wiki should add another possible cause?  I remember when my voice was going through change.  I hated that time.  I've only spoken to one voice "expert" and she notes that my voice fits well into the female spectrum for someone who spent years smoking.  That's me, unfortunately.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • TammyAnne
      The VA adheres to the most current WPATH standards. If you go to a VA healthcare facility you can either contact the LGBT facilitator directly, or go to Primary Care Mental Health and ask to be referred to a Gender Therapist. They are caring, professional and discreet. There are some limits to what can be covered, cosmetic procedures are not covered, but counseling, HRT and all associated care including medications, endocrinology, etc. are all covered. I am a VA client and was actually referred to this website by my VA gender therapist. TA
    • TammyAnne
      Hi and welcome Ivy. Glad you're here. TA
    • TammyAnne
      Hi Dearheart, I'm northeast of you in Searcy County. Arkansas can be such a mixed bag, mostly people tend to live and let live. Like you I am non-binary (well really gender nonconforming tending towards feminine). While I would love to present as totally female, for me it is a bridge too far. However, as Jani suggested, I wouldn't be too concerned about your size or bone structure. I've met some farm girls who could easily crush me and I'm not little. As to voice, that too is a spectrum. Mae West had a very husky voice. No one ever presumed she was male. I am proud of you, glad you found us, and hope things continue to go smoothly with your classroom. TA
    • MaryMary
      I discovered something tonight... what I had when I was a teenager actually has a name! After the word transgender I discovered at like 31, at 38 I discover this. I was laughing when reading the potential causes :   Emotional stress[12] Resistance to pubertal changes[3]   lol... in other word... gender dysphoria 🤣 I'm happy to know this because I always struggled describing it and explaining when I had to. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puberphonia
    • Taylor
      Thanks for the responses so far. I realize it will take some time. More curious than anything, about people who may have experienced thing rather early on or later than usual.     It hasn't quite been a week yet, and some of it might be in my head, but over the weekend I did have a rather short tingling-itch in my chest. I also felt like my skin may have been a bit softer after my last shave, but it may have just been a closer shave that made it feel smoother.       Yeah. I know age can be a big factor. I'm glad I'm able to start transitioning now, at 25, than it being much later. Of course there is the part of me that wishes I would've realized things earlier in life, but it's not really productive to dwell on the past like that. (I would assume plenty of people here feel similarly about coming out, transitioning, etc.). Personally hips aren't really a big concern, a little shape would be nice... but not a big deal. I am kind of looking forward to the emotional stuff though, though I feel a bit weird for that.   Hope you do you your visit from the boob fairy though, Jackie.
    • Suzanne1
      OOPs, sorry; the main title is Woman's Evolution, what's I wrote above is the subtitle.  Sorry, it's been awhile.   Best wishes to the new member.
    • Jani
      OK.  I would suggest if you want to be looked at as female then I might suggest you are not non-binary.  Something to talk with your therapist some more.   You can be transgender and not want or need GCS.  It's all a personal choice.  As to never being properly MtF,  never say never!      Don't worry about bone structure as there are lots of larger women, just as there are lots of men.  Your size could be to your advantage, from several larger women I know.  You can work on your voice to bring it into a higher range but also focus on inflection and cadence when you speak.  IMO this is more important than tone.   Work on making yourself happy, not others.  You're the one who matters.    Cheers, Jani   
    • Suzanne1
      Interesting observation.    Don't know if this is still in print, but this was an interesting book:  From Matriarchal Clan to Patriarchical Society (by Evelyn Reed, I think). I  had the experience of hearing her speak once.    Certainly the book's a feminist treatment of the subject, which can be something of a stumbling block for lots of TG's.
    • Dearhart
      I'm looking into that, now, too. From what I know so far, the state law only cares whether I get bottom surgery in regards to changing the sex marker on documents like birth certificate and social security card.    Oh, I'm sure they know something is going on, but aren't bothered enough to either say or do anything regarding it.  Also, I only really say non-binary as a kind of placeholder until I figure the ideas and definitions out better. I know I'd like to pass publicly as female, but I have no intention of getting bottom surgery. That's just way too expensive and I've never really associated those parts with my gender identity.  Honestly, the biggest thing I see preventing me from presenting more traditionally feminine is my voice and bone structure. My current vocal range has my lowest  notes flirting with the mid-low end of Bass, but I can belt out a low baritone like Tennessee Ernie Ford or whoever sang "Through Heaven's Eyes" in the Prince of Egypt movie. And my bone structure is largely unknown due to lifelong obesity, but I feel really self-conscious about what I perceive as a forehead large enough to make Kelsey Grammar's look dainty. I know it isn't, but it still feels like that.  I may never be "properly" MtF, because I do like mixing things up, but hearing Tony the Tiger's voice coming from someone who's trying to present as feminine may be problematic. Hopefully, though, that'll just end up as more of the "people just don't care as much as I think they do" that I'm still coming to grips with.  
    • ShawnaLeigh
      This was a question I had too.  I was t sure. Had feelings and theory’s but not sure.  Education and asking questions helped me.   Soul searching too .
    • Suzanne1
      Well, I'm a rather private person, so this place is the closest I come to doing the social media thing (i.e., other than 1 "sporting forum" that I browse-only for info purposes).    Don't really understand the whole social media obsession, other than possibly for the purposes of information-gathering & occasional self-expression).  Otherwise, such things as My Space, Facebook, etc are quite foreign to me, and  just seems like so much an exercise in group-think/social-control.          
  • Upcoming Events