• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

KymmieL

Finger nails

KymmieL

I have been letting my finger nails grow for a while. I like a long nail but don't want fake ones. (yet LOL) I know in my line of work I have great chances of breaking a nail. However in the past week. Even while not a work I have broken 6 nails. Most I didn't even know I did it till I either saw or felt it.

Any idea why it is happening and anyway to strengthen them? In the past I have tried polish to no avail. 

Thanks

Kymmie

Jani

Try to keep them shaped in a manner to not encourage breakage.  I like mine curved and whenever I get a burr I file it smooth.  My spouse likes hers squared off, a look I'm not fond of.  Polish can help with strengthening but its not the end all be all.  Some medications will affect your nails as well.  I'm coming off one that is terrible for them, causing cracks and splitting so now they are starting to behave again! 

Jani

lauraincolumbia

One thing to think about is your diet.    Nothing magical, but a healthy well-balanced diet should help your nails.  Don't waste your money on supplements, real food works much better and costs less.

This article is good:

https://www.womansday.com/style/beauty/a2339/what-to-eat-for-healthy-hair-nails-116095/

ShawnaLeigh

For me it was introducing my vitamins I need to take after my Bariactric surgery.  I buy them off Amazon and can forward you the brand if you like. My nails grow like crazy fast and twice as strong now.  I tried before and were getting the same results as you and breaking them all the time.  

But now when I break one it breaks friggin all the way to your dang elbow I swear!

OMG it hurts.  LOL

Jackie C.

What are you taking for your nails? Mine are garbage right now. They've thinned out and crack/chip with the slightest provocation.

Hugs!

ShawnaLeigh
Posted (edited)

I'm not very good at linking stuff so I am not sure this will work.

<Link to non prescription medication>

I needed this with the higher iron with this particular surgery but this brand seems to make my head hair thicker and my nails grow like wild fire.

Though I do agree and healthy diet is needed as well and mine is very controlled and measured.

Edited by VickySGV
Rules 12 & 14

VickySGV

Be very careful and check with your doctors before using OTC vitamins.  It is DANGEROUS for me to take Iron supplements but my doctor wants me taking two others.  Brittle fingernails are a medical problem you should discuss.  One form indicates blood pressure issues and still others some genetic issues. It seems silly, but they are part of your overall health. 

Belle

Is it okay to take if you haven't had the surgery?

VickySGV
45 minutes ago, Belle said:

Is it okay to take if you haven't had the surgery?

Check with your personal doctor if it is OK for you, surgery or not!!

Jani

This is correct!  Always inform your doctor of what you plan to take to ensure there is no counteraction with medication you currently take or that it doesn't affect function of vital organs.  Just because you feel good doesn't mean things are all right.  Ex: at one time my kidney function was on the edge of safe, yet I felt fine and never noticed any issue.  

TL:DR  You have one body, take care of it!

Jani 

Jackie C.

Yeah, that one is disturbingly vague about what's actually in it. I'll bring it up with my doctor the next time I see him. Normally I just take vitamin D and a women's multivitamin and track all my macro and micro nutrients. Not quite sure what the problem could be. Maybe the spiro. That's been torpedoing my BP.

Of course I could just have (more) bad genetics. Curse you mom and dad!

Hugs!

Jani
4 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Maybe the spiro.

Never had this issue when I was on Spiro.  But as always YRMV!

Jackie C.

My dose of Spiro completely tanked my blood pressure. Reading around 80/50 wasn't that unusual. I was frequently getting light-headed if I stood up too fast.

However, I was taking it with other blood pressure medication. so interactions. Something special about the dosage because if I nudged the dose on any of the other medications, it shot back up again. I really ought to check how I'm doing without it...

Hugs!

KymmieL

I will talk to my Dr. next time I see her. I am on 2 different depression meds, prescribed vit D, blood pressure meds and my blockers. So it could be anyone of those or a combination.

Kymmie