• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Markjvp

Basically advice to people trying to figure out if they’re transgender like I am

Markjvp

I still don’t know what my gender is I’ve felt like I’m transgender but I’ve also felt like I’m gender fluid but even when I’ve just read someone else’s post it’s helped me and I think I’m gender fluid but mostly a boy still feel like I’m trans tho

but here are some advice I’ve learned and at least 1 trick to figure out if your transgender: try to look at the whole you not just parts of you so non related example: if you like to race and cook which are you a racer or a cook of course it’s both. Also just do you, you don’t need to figure it out right away and you don’t need to do everything there’s transgender people that’s just fine with some hormones some that wants surgery some that’s probably fine with everything except clothes. And my own advice maybe take some online tests to figure it out or go to gender therapists. Now the a trick that might help you if you found a button and if you press it you would permanently turn into the other sex as if you were born that sex would you press it, for me I still don’t fully know but i think I would

ToniTone

I think you hit the nail on the haed with your advice, pretty good illustration. I could see alot of us trans folk smashing that change button, lol! 

As far as online tests, I'd be careful not to run wild with the results of them, and to cite the sources. There's a big difference to professional medical pre-diagnostics and those for-fun online surveys. But even with a medical diagnostic tool, whether or not you're trans isn't something a doctor defines, it's you. 

~Toni

Markjvp

Yea it’s true that you shouldn’t run wild with online tests only you can truly define your gender 

VickySGV

A book that I recommend is Jeffrey Marsh's  How To Be You which is a fun and thoughtful workbook/ journal on exploring your own personal gender diversity. Jeffrey is a producer of gender variant films and documentaries and defies gender designations almost daily.  I have met Jeffrey in person and am glad I did. 

Jani

Being transgender isn't about the things you do, but how you feel about yourself.  Gender is between our ears.  If you question your gender the best way (IMO) to arrive at an answer is to go to counseling.  There you will be ale to speak openly about your feelings.  Talking with non-prefessionals (friends/family) is not advised as they have a vested interest in the "current" version of you.  A counselor really won't care either way as long as they can help you resolve the conflict you are experiencing.  That's their job.  

Its about the process not the outcome.  Once I determined I was actually transgender my counselor helped me navigate the myriad paths that I might travel to arrive at happiness.   If I had found I wasn't transgender they would have assisted me with resolving the issue/pain I was feeling.  The answer is within us.  We don't always see it.

Jani

Markjvp

I have i new book to read now so thank you 😊 @VickySGV. And @Jani it’s true that gender is through feeling not things you do and the friends family thing is true too I told my parents and my brother of me being possibly trans or gender fluid and they rejected the idea. Also @Jani does a school guidance counselor count? I’m in a high school that has guidance counsellors

VickySGV
1 hour ago, Markjvp said:

Also @Jani does a school guidance counselor count? I’m in a high school that has guidance counsellors

One can start the ball rolling for sure. They may put you in touch with someone else down the line but if they are professional they can help you for the short run. 

Markjvp
36 minutes ago, VickySGV said:

One can start the ball rolling for sure. They may put you in touch with someone else down the line but if they are professional they can help you for the short run. 

Ok i might talk to my guidance counsel or soon but for now I’m too scared to do it I’m not really good at talking to people in real life that I don’t know

VickySGV

GD (Gender Dysphoria) can affect us in many ways that get in our way of job work / school work, just feeling way down, or even relations with school mates and family.  Start on those topics: "not good at talking to people" is a great starter all by itself for a guidance counselor at school. 😊

Jani

I suppose it depends whether you have spoken with them in the past and feel comfortable doing so.  They are a good first starting point as Vicky notes.  You don't have to jump right in with your gender questions. 

Markjvp

Yea I'll might not go with gender questions yet but I don't know when I'll do it because I'm better at it online than offline I guess pretty much because it's like sending someone a letter but sent faster

Jackie C.

My therapist set me up with You and Your Gender Identity: A Guide to Discovery by Dara Hoffman-Fox LPC. It's aimed at people who are questioning (and I've never been so certain of anything else in my life) so I didn't get a lot out of it, but it was a good read and you might. The style isn't too academic and it's not a particularly difficult read.

Hugs!

Markjvp

Thank you 

Hugs to you too

Jynestia

I don't want to hijack the post but wow. The button concept? That one hit me. I would smash that button so hard and not even think twice about it. I have some things to think about now, and some new books to look up.

I agree with talking to the guidance counselor. Being in high school is hard. Part of their job is helping you navigate that. They probably can't get you all the way there, but I will bet they can get you in the right direction.

Belle

Yep. There's never been a point in my life when I wouldn't have hit that button without hesitation. Apparently that's a strong sign that I'm trans.

For some reason the idea that I could transition never occurred to me until I actually accepted that I like that part of me.

tapeleg42

I've been hemming and hawing over my gender identity for about a year now, unsure if my feelings aren't about being trans but just some misplaced projection of my other issues.  But the fact is I would slam that button so hard.  Plus, whenever I get so overwhelmed and frustrated with my own doubt gremlins I always end up thinking, "This would be so much easier if I had just been born a female."  I still have things to work out with my therapist, but those two notions are pretty strong signs, I think.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 131 Guests (See full list)

• Miseria
    • lilyofthevalley
    • MaryEllen
    • Jackie C.
    • Tristantulaine
    • MetaLicious
    • TrIIIy
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Tristantulaine
    Newest Member
    Tristantulaine

1. KathrynJulia
      KathrynJulia
      (65 years old)
    2. Michelle 2010
      Michelle 2010
      (10 years old)
    3. Shiratori
      Shiratori
      (48 years old)
    4. woahshutitdown
      woahshutitdown
      (29 years old)
    • Miseria
      Salutations Tristan, as someone still on their journey I can only say take your time and explore ypurself. Step by step be they leaps or bounds, baby steps or even down to a crawl... The direction is to the truest you that you can be.
    • Miseria
      Salutations and welcome Lily, hopefully you can find some peace of mind and learn of yourself as well as others... The time to grow is now bit by bit🎵
    • Willow
      Well, I suffered for years not knowing or understanding how I felt or why.  Depression, anger and periodic “needs” involving being feminine.     When things got too bad to deal with I finally sought help.  It didn’t take long for my therapist to figure me out.  I am on hrt but no plans for gcs.     like others here, could I forget who I am?  No way.  Could I stop everything that I’ve done since ?  Not likely.  But, I am not full time.  That’s because my wife of 48 years is not happy about this but I don’t desire to let things go.  Lastly, I’m not ready to come out completely.   Could I go back to being cis, not likely.  At least not without bringing back extreme depression.
    • Jackie C.
      Salutations Tristan! Welcome to Transpulse!   We're glad you're here. I'm going to stop short of chanting, "One of Us! One of Us!" Please avail yourself of the boards and the discord server. Join in the conversation, ask questions, participate as much as you're comfortable with. I think you'll find us an understanding and supportive community of folks who have, let's face it, been there.   I look forward to getting to know you!   Hugs!
    • Tristantulaine
      Here goes!   My name is Tristan and that maybe the first time I have officially introduced myself that way.  I was born in a body that I dont recognize on so many levels and, as yet, can't fully define.  I have had people try to define me for so many years that I have no idea what I really want for myself and that is part of the problem.   I hope that here I can find friendship and support as I puzzle through the jigsaw of identity that is me.    Right now I would like to use the pronouns he/him.
    • AdriannaB
      This video,    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOOw2E_qAsE&t=49s
    • AdriannaB
      My sister Allison shown me something and it empowered me more.She was on youtube lately and found this video reminding of me.It is a Nikkie De Jager video on coming out and told her thank you for showing this to me.It was this video she shown me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOOw2E_qAsE&t=49s
    • MetaLicious
      I know what you mean. For the last 25 years, I thought of my feminine side as a "Michelle" but she only got a couple of chances to make an entrance into the wide world.  Now that I've decided to come out, I realized I would probably need a name that didn't also belong to my cousin.  The only names that felt right were variants of Michael, possibly that 51 years of using it biasing my thinking.  I have (for now) settled on Michaela, although I prefer the spelling "Mikhaila". Ultimately, I'd rather my name be easy to spell... 
    • Cyndee
      I want to wish everyone that had a birthday today    Happy Birthday ! @KathrynJulia @Michelle 2010 Especially my good friends (ex mods) here Kathryn and Michelle    Hugs   Cynthia   
    • MaryMary
      we have to walk the line between painting a realistic picture to people who starts transition and also just being optimistic and giving hope to people. I love the model where you need to go see a gender therapist that has the job to be very real with you and tell everything about transition not being a miracle cure or something and helping people clear the confusion and on the other hand me personnaly just telling my story of things going far better then they were and not trying to put false shadows in the picture. We need the stories where things don't go too well to warn people but we also need the stories that are going well and that are giving hope. We need hope.
    • KathyLauren
      My wife and I enjoy going out together.  No one thinks anything of it, and we don't get stared at.  The only time the question of whether or not we are a couple comes up is when we are asked if we want one bill or two.   My wife was a bit weirded out about being a lesbian through no choice of her own.  She considers herself a "lesbian by marriage".  But she has no reservations about us remaining a couple.  As far as she is concerned, my transition is part of the "for better or for worse" that she signed up for.  I am not sure I could have done the same had the positions been reversed, so I consider myself very lucky.   My wife likes to be bratty.  Sometimes when we are walking down the street and she spots someone looking disapprovingly at us, she will hold my hand, just to give them something to stare at.
    • Sarahnr1
      Thank you so much i do try my best   Sadly ive lost count on how many TS /TG  that have takend this step  (ie transiton + also in some cases HRT etc...  ) to fast and then crached (incl in here as well as otherwise online ) and its therefore i try to keep this aspect alive as much as i can  and this goes  for  fore all ages  young as well as even older then me  both MTF as well as  FTM  . Its VITAL that we that have transitioned   (with or without HRT or  and  SRS )  DONT  paint up this glorius life  and  happiness  /princess  / Prince life  without also mentioning the struggle and price many have to pay. + the medical risks of this as well as of course what we have gained  of course.   And i would also like to add  reg  our situation over here from  having to high  bounderies (they were  WAY to high )  to be alowed to  start the journey they have now lowerd  to much  and  therefore  we have this  problems  with   more and more  TG`s  /TS   being alowed HRT etc... to YOUNG when they get older  they regret  there  choice .   Also i must also add that of course  there are happy cases   of  (in this case  )  FTM  that have  gone back to female  but as i said  way more that havent been happy ending                   
    • Jani
      @Sarahnr1 You wrote it clearly dear!   
    • Jani
      Welcome Lily.  I'm glad you decided to come here and that you thought it would help.  There are many kind people here to speak with and even vent every now and again, as life presents challenges.  I'm happy to hear you've been able to break through and speak to someone.  This is good.  Understandably your family knows you well and sees the change in you.  Talk to your therapist about how to address this subject with them.   All my best. Jani 
    • Sarahnr1
      I couldent agree more  nor been able to express it  better  even as i tried  WELL spoken indeed   
  • Upcoming Events