• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What do your kids call you once to transition?

ShawnaLeigh

ShawnaLeigh

So just coming out to my two youngest (adult) kids I had told them "I will always be your dad".

Right now being called Dad by then is a natural thing for me to hear.  Even though it mis-genders me now.

I am their Dad still.  

Once I am further down the road with my transition though this may start being/feeling/being weird to me and maybe even them too.

I certainly do not feel they will ever call me mom.  Maybe mom will slowing fade in as my new "title" to them but I don't think so.

I don't think they will just call me by name either.  New or old.  

I just wanted to have some suggestions for them if they ask.  

What are suggestions to cover this?

• Root Admin
Carolyn Marie

My then teenage son began calling me Carolyn immediately.  He still addresses his mother as Mom.  I think, for our family, that works well.  If he talks about me to someone else, he uses "my parent."

Carolyn

• Root Admin

First name with my 40 year old+ children and grand kids.  Sibling with my one remaining brother.  Parent or grand parent when relationships in the family are used.  I gave my grand children the option of using Granda but they prefer my first name, and there is no less love or respect for it. 

I feel like I'll always be in the 'dad' role. Even if I am able to transition and stay married?I'll still be me, and in the same role I'm in right now.

When it comes to grandkids eventually I may have a more female name.

Belle ❤️

they call me "Marie" usually. Sometimes they make mistakes or don't think about it and call me mom. When other people outside think I'm their mom they swiftly correct them and say "no no no, she's my father". It almost seem like a point of honor for them, lol

• Forum Moderator
4 hours ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

I don't think they will just call me by name either.  New or old.  

I just wanted to have some suggestions for them if they ask.  

What are suggestions to cover this?

Early on, this was a tough one for me to figure out with two of my daughters and all the grandkids (I’m effectively dead to my third daughter). My wife is called “Nanna” and their other grandparent is called “Grandma” so those were already taken.  I thought using the endearment “Mammy” was an ok suggestion from a few friends but the Grandkids didn’t like it.  As of this Christmas, the grandkids all started calling me ”Nana Susan”.   My daughters call me ”Nana Susan” too if the grandkids are around us.  If my daughters are not with the kids they refer to me as just plain ”Susan”.  It sounds sorta complicated but it really hasn’t been and it works for us.

Susan R?

2 hours ago, MaryMary said:

When other people outside think I'm their mom they swiftly correct them and say "no no no, she's my father". It almost seem like a point of honor for them, lol

That's awesome! How old are they?

40 minutes ago, MaryMary said:

7 and 8

Oh my gosh! This gives me so much hope!

• Forum Moderator

My grandchildren call me Jana. My better half is Nana.  

• Forum Moderator

I am Grandy to my grand children.  Hopefully my son remembers to use that as well at least in public.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 2 weeks later...

When my grandchildren asked what name to call me, I asked them to suggest a nice name they could pick that wat they know it will always be unique to me.  They came up with "Maddie." Their born-again religious mother however told them immediately while I was present to never talk about me, or ask me about transitioning my gender.  When my older sisters were told about my new nickname they said my grandchildren should be calling me, "Grandpa sicko," "Confused Grandpa," "Idiot Grandpa," or "Maddie is the insane Grandpa." (so much for sibling support....)

ShawnaLeigh
2 hours ago, Laura76 said:

When my grandchildren asked what name to call me, I asked them to suggest a nice name they could pick that wat they know it will always be unique to me.  They came up with "Maddie." Their born-again religious mother however told them immediately while I was present to never talk about me, or ask me about transitioning my gender.  When my older sisters were told about my new nickname they said my grandchildren should be calling me, "Grandpa sicko," "Confused Grandpa," "Idiot Grandpa," or "Maddie is the insane Grandpa." (so much for sibling support....)

This is terrible.  How can someone that is suppose to love you be so mean.  I’m sorry it is like that’s for you.  ?

• Root Admin
Carolyn Marie

My goodness, that is one of the worst things I've heard @Laura76, and I've been here a long time.  So needlessly cruel and heartless.  Born-again Christian?  Christ would be appalled.  There is nothing Christian about what your family is doing to you.  I'm so sorry.  ?

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Thank you ShawnaLeigh, and Carolyn Marie.  It has been about two years since I've seen my Grandchildren, or spoke with my older sisters. After my son and his wife moved to another state, we have not been in contact.  Also since that time, my older sisters and I have not spoken.

Miss Night

I have 3 grown boys. My oldest is 40. Youngest is 30. All my boys call me Dad. There Mother My most loving Wife was taken from this earthly life in 2010. I started my transition then. In 2016 I became a women. To my boys I am still Dad. 

ShawnaLeigh

I suppose it’s only logical.  At some level you are who you are to your children. I am their parent.  The person who fathered them.  They grew up knowing me as dad.  I don’t have an issue being that parent for them.  
Will it be awkward to be called dad shopping with my daughter in public.  Perhaps.  I’d think especially in the early stages of being out in public as myself.  But I can handle such things.  
For me at this stage I’m trying to completely shed everything male.  But I do not want to remove myself from being a parent.  
So they call me dad.  It’s also the name my four dogs know me as.  That will never change either.  Lol

CodePoetSarah

My younger sister starts with my deadname and then switches, so she calls me AnSarah! which I have to admit, I find adorable.

soyangela

My wife asked me this the other day. I said well I'm dad and I always will be dad. I've just started my journey and have not fully transitioned which may be why it doesn't bother me.

MetaLicious

I was talking with my wife last night, because I was uncomfortable with the fact that I have come out to everyone except my 8-year old son.  She asked me why would I, unless I wanted something to change. Honestly, he's spent most of his life calling me Mom-Dad as often as he calls me Dad.  I supported him when he wanted to wear skirts or anything shiny, pink or purple, and he's already supporting me with my cosmetic changes.  I'll be honest if he asks questions, but I think I'm comfortable being Dad regardless of how far along I am in my journey.

ShawnaLeigh

I have yet to breech this with any of my adult kids.  My youngest is 18 and she no longer lives with us.  
I think at this point I will always be dad unless they feel uncomfortable calling me that while seeing me as a fully presenting women.  
I'm leaving it up to them.  
Unless I’m flirting with someone while shopping and my kid starts calling out to me as dad.  
I will have to smack her for that.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 76 Guests (See full list)

• MiraM
    • DeeDee
    • KathyLauren
    • Petra Jane
    • QuestioningAmber
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

stebF
    Newest Member
    stebF

1. Kole Rickard
      Kole Rickard
      (17 years old)
    2. Priya Sweet
      Priya Sweet
      (30 years old)
    • MiraM
      I think second thoughts are par for the course.  Transitioning is a major life changing thing.  I tried to transition back in about 2000, but was not in a stable mental state at the time, and things went badly.  Fast forward about 17 years or so, and with lots of therapy, I was finally able to work on other issues in my life and got to a place where I felt ready to transition again, as the gender dysphoria was the last major issue that I was not addressing.  I have been on HRT again since January 2018 and full time since August 2019.  And you know what, there are times I still question things.  I wonder what's the point and whether or not I made the right decision.  When I think about going back to living as I was, pre-transition, I get sick to my stomach.  Even though I question it at times, I know that for me, transitioning was the right and only path.    I think doubt is a very normal thing with this type of decision.  You are the only one who can decide what is right for you, but having doubt does not automatically mean it is not the right path.  Work with your therapist and find the path that works for you.
    • QuestioningAmber
      Good Morning all. So this morning I am waiting for a call to let me know that they are en route to deliver my new car. I am really excited to finally have a second car, where right now my wife and I share a car. I think this is the weekend though where I come out to my parents as the beginning step. I have the letter printed for my dad and email is ready for my mom. So nervous to have a reaction at all. I know this may change our relationships forever in coming out, but I don't think I can live with a lie anymore.
    • MiraM
      My first endo appointment lasted about an hour.  We talked for a bit about why I wanted to go on HRT and what my expectations were, and the possible side effects, as well as different delivery methods.  This was followed by a complete physical and blood work.  After the initial appointment, he consulted with my gender therapist and primary care physician.  About 2 weeks later, my meds were sent to me.  The first follow up was about 6 weeks later to get some blood drawn and see if I was having any side effects.  I now have a followup with him every 3 to 4 months, going on 3 years now,  and they last about 30+ minutes.  This schedule works great for me since he is also the doctor doing my cancer follow ups and he does the blood work for that and hormone levels at the same time.
    • KathyLauren
      I had zero-depth vaginoplasty, a.k.a. vulvoplasty.  I am a lesbian, with asexual tendencies (or vice-versa), so I knew I would never want penetration by a penis.  I didn't want all that dilation hassle.   I thought the recovery would be faster.  But here I am, six months later, and still somewhat disabled.  Sitting is dificult,  I can't walk any significant distance, and I have constant pain or discomfort.  I console myself that it would probably be much worse if I had the full-depth version, but I don't actually know that.  I am probably looking at a revision, but that will be at least a year away.   I don't think my case is typical, so I'd suggest waiting for more responses before making a decision.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
    • Petra Jane
      Possibly due to some new effect of the updated software, the default TransPulse Green theme caused any topics with more than one page of posts to be distorted in the topic listing   And when moused over, the pages do then show:   BUT they should have been shown in a horizontal line, not a vertical one.   The only way I've found to fix this issue is to re-design the TransPulse Green theme, so if your themes have gone wild, please re-select TransPulse  Default theme.
    • ElizabethStar
      WOW your looking good Berni. You can really see the difference in your before and after photos.
    • ElizabethStar
      My experiences have been a little different. When I first met with my Endo we did the meet and greet, talked about goals, expectations and the risks. She wrote my scripts right there on the spot then sent me down the hall for blood work. I live in an informed consent state. Went beck 2 months later for a check-up/blood work and some adjustments were made. Then Covid hit and it was 5 months before my next check-up and blood test. As of now, I need to check-in with my Endo and see what she wants to do, I need refills by the end of next month and everything is still booked up for weeks.
    • DragonflyGirl
      Wonderful job! Xxx
    • ElizabethStar
      I've been contemplating the same choices but have been leaning toward zero-depth. I just don't see myself dating a guy again. If I find myself in need of being penetrated I still have that other option. But I'm there yet so I can't say that's my final decision.    
    • Jeanette West
      And here I was, looking for a place to ask: when do other girls change their names? I've been on HRT for two years, coming up in four months my FFS, so I was thinking I would file the paperwork with the courts next week. For myself I am sick of hearing my old name and really want to change to my new name.  
    • Jackie C.
      Well, I've got full depth and while I wasn't done HEALING for three to six months, I was fully active after six weeks and able to stand for long periods faster than that. Something like two or three weeks. I weathered a twenty-hour train ride a week afterwards (I hated it, but I got through it). Really sitting was the big hurdle. Dilation was a bigger pain because four times a day for the first month. That really eats into your time.   Surgical time depends on your doctor. Mine can do full depth in three to four hours usually (according to her anyway, I was out for the whole thing).   As for sex, well it depend on whether or not you want vaginal penetration. Your clitoris will work fine either way, but you need a canal if you're going to be using someone's penis from the front.   For me it was a non-issue. While I am very, very gay my dysphoria wouldn't settle for zero-depth despite the relative safety, ease, etc... Honestly, if I could have swung it, I would have gone for the abdominal pull-through method, but it's harder to find surgeons that will do it and I have additional medical concerns.   Even with the upcoming revision (and attendant scheduling nightmare), I'm solidly behind my choice.   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      Pretty much what @Phi said. I talked with the Endo, then she sent me downstairs for blood work. Repeat visits for blood work every two months until my estrogen levels were female-normal. That took two or three tries. Then every six months to make sure my body wasn't doing anything too out of the ordinary. Now I'm down to one a year.   Oh, I should point out that I get my blood drawn and labs done about a week before I see my endo. That way we have something to talk about during the visit.   Hugs!
    • Phi
      My first visit was about to get to know each other, talking about my wishes and my goals and possible side effects. They took lots of blood. A week later I started HRT and had to visit every 6 weeks until my dosage was right. These were just short visits for taking blood samples, asking how I feel, whether there are any problems. When E-levels were within range we scheduled the next appointment 4 to 6 month later. When everything is alright, I have to visit every six month.
    • RhondaS
      You can read plenty of people talking about their first visit to an endocrinologist, but having done that, wondering what happens at follow up visits? And how often they happen as time goes by?    
    • onyx
      When was your last menstrual cycle ... I was getting a checkup and this nurse had to ask me those questions...
  • Upcoming Events