• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Experiences with trying to get T

A. Dillon

I am still pre T, and pretty early in my transition in the first place. However, even though I have only been out and living as male for about 3 and a half months. However, I have had pretty obvious signs of dysphoria since I was a kid, especially over the last few years, and I probably would have been diagnosed with it if I had said anything a long time ago. I was just wondering what other people's experience with getting Testosterone is, because while I know it varies from state to state, I would just like to have some idea of what going to the gender therapist and/or getting a prescription.

• Forum Moderator

While not exactly the same thing, in my state you need a letter of recommendation from a gender therapist. All of my visits with a gender therapist have been peaceful affairs. Mostly guided conversation. They asked me about childhood experiences, when I first realized I was trans, how I felt I fit in, that kind of thing. I was always comfortable and I talked about everything from the first time I tried to pretend I was a girl to the, um, uglier stuff I tried in junior high and high school. After about an hour, they said they were willing to write the letter I needed and I danced out of their office. Badly. I can't dance.

Once you have that, you can get an appointment with the endocrinologist. The endo will then help themselves to your blood. Depending on your state of health, this could take a few weeks while they try to figure out what they can give you safely. When I first started out, my health was terrible. Despite the HRT, it's much better now. Anyway, once they're satisfied, the endo will start you on a low dose of hormones then ask to see you in about two months. My endo was very clear about that (because I asked). It takes about two months for your hormone levels to stabilize after a change. You'll repeat that cycle - dose change then two months and blood - until the endo is satisfied with your new hormone levels. Then they'll ease off a little bit at a time until you're down to yearly visits just to make sure everything is working properly.

Now some states have informed consent. In those states you can head into a planned parenthood practice, sign some papers, and ask for hormones. I'm guessing that even if you are in an informed consent state, you won't be able to do that because you're a minor. It would depend on local laws and, again, I don't know exactly where you live and our system in America is basically a crazy-quilt of stupid with islands of occasional sanity. If you need to wait until you're eighteen though, this could be an option for you depending on local laws.

So that's what I had to do for estrogen. T is easy, my body still makes it. I'd give it to you if I could. It's making me nuts. I hope some part of this helps you get what you need.

Hugs!

I am seeing a therapist and she recently diagnosed me with gender dysphoria, only he said she wasn't going to put it on my records since Tricare (Military insurance) Won't cover anything. I was a bit confused and kinda wanted that on my record so for future use of wanting to get T. She also wants me to keep exploring my gender, though I have been sure of my gender for about 5 years and it has not wavered yet. though I will wait for downstairs surgery till I am at least 20-25 just to be sure 

In Mississippi, I had to see a gender therapist and get a recommendation letter from them to give to an endocrinologist. This process took not quite a year. The hardest part for me was finding an endocrinologist able and willing to do transgender HRT who wasn’t 50 miles away. Mississippi just doesn’t have a lot of trans resources, though. You might have better luck where you live. I actually found my doctor through a Facebook support group.

Once you have everything in order, make sure to check about your T being covered by your insurance. I didn’t think that mine would be, since I have Medicaid, but it was! I had to wait until my doctor sent the prescription to the pharmacy before I could find out, though. It was a nice surprise.

I have a private Endo who does Informed Consent care, I think she's the only one in Houston! I tried to go through my insurance, but she wasn't a covered provider and I wasn't going to go through all the CRAZY red tape of waiting months and getting referrals when I KNEW what I needed. She had a waiting list of only a few months, so once I got into her office and had the initial consult, T was prescribed  almost immediately. She even had a discount program for labs and prescriptions so I don't have to fuss with insurance for affordable care! So, my process for getting on T was relatively easy. Surgeries will be more difficult, and I'll be starting the process for getting my insurance to cover top surgery as soon as possible as it may take a YEAR or MORE to get a response. <eyeroll>

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 91 Guests (See full list)

• April Marie
    • Betty K
    • MaybeRob
    • MaryEllen
    • Miss Cormac
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

taxicab
    Newest Member
    taxicab

1. Amyjay
      Amyjay
      (58 years old)
    2. bettyjean
      bettyjean
    3. Breanna
      Breanna
      (52 years old)
    4. Emily Ayla
      Emily Ayla
    5. JET182
      JET182
    • Susan R
      Love it! This is great news. We need more of this to combat the excessive hate-filled rhetoric and misinformation. 👍
    • Susan R
      The experience was the same for me @April Marie. I slept much deeper and I woke up each morning feeling so much more restful sleeping with forms solidly in place. For me, wearing breast forms at night started when before I was a teenager. I had no access up to modern breast forms and certainly no way to buy mastectomy bras back then. I wore a basic bra my mom had put in a donation box and two pairs of soft cotton socks. I have some crazy memories of things I did in my youth to combat my GD but regardless, these makeshift concoctions helped me work through it all.   All My Best, Susan R🌷
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Colorado isn't exactly a Republican place, and won't become one anytime soon.  I think those folks might be better off not spending their time playing Don Quixote.    We certainly have our share of California "refugees" moving into where I live, so I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Coloradans too.  I suspect the trend over the next few years will see the blue areas getting more blue and the red areas getting more red as anybody who can relocate tries to find a place where they fit better.   
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Well, at least it'll be a place some folks could choose.  Options are a good thing.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      My family would have gobbled that jar up in a minute or two.  When we do have pickled herring, its usually for Christmas.  I didn't grow up with that particular dish, but I grew up in a Greek family so I like just about any kind of fish if I can get it.  However, ocean fish and freshwater fish taste so different.  We usually have more catfish and tilapia to eat than anything else.    What I can't quite get used to is the tons of cabbage my GF insists on eating.  When you live with a Russian, there is always cabbage soup.  Always.  When I first moved in with her, breakfast was "shchi" for soup and either bread or "kasha" which is a bowl of boiled buckwheat with butter and salt.  Those dishes can be made in any number of ways, some are better than others.  In the winter, it can even be salty and sour like kraut.  Not exactly sauerkraut, but packed in tubs with vinegar and salt so it keeps partially for the winter.  But I drew the line when the cabbage soup included pieces of fried snake one day.  😆
    • Ashley0616
      Good evening to you as well @Mmindy   That is awesome that you have support from her side. My dad has communicated with me once and that was because he was forced to. His new wife wanted to spend time with my kids. He hated me so much he was in the process of taking my rights away as a parent to my two boys. He was talking to a lawyer and I called him out on it. I don't love him at all. I'll respect him because I wouldn't be here without him but I wished I had another father. My uncles don't talk to me and unfriended me on Facebook. Almost all cousins except for two are still Facebook friends but they don't give me any support. My mom said she won't support me with that but she has said that she loves me. I have nieces and nephews that are still Facebook friends but they have yet to talk to me. I have one sister that supports me out of three. The other's disrespect me by deadnaming me. They have never called me their sister. I think for them they think it's still a phase. They don't ask questions about me being trans. I have to bring it up and on the look of their faces they don't look comfortable about it. 
    • Mmindy
      Good evening @Ashley0616,   I just got offline with HP tech support trying to get my printer tool box icon locked to my tool bar. This is one of the most important features of my printer that I like because it keeps track of ink, paper, and scanned documents. I'm diffidently not a computer geek.   I'll catch up with the other bookmarks next week. We leave to go home for the Easter Holiday with our families. Saturday with her side, and Sunday with my side. What's odd about that is I'm out to more of her side and they're reluctantly supportive. My side on the other hand are less supportive, and my sister just under me in age will not acknowledge my being there. She will be constantly moving to keep from dealing with me. I'm dead to her.   Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋  
    • Ashley0616
      I used to follow baseball and the team I would cheer for is Boston Red Sox. My favorite player was Papi. He was an awesome guy and even held a child during the National Anthem. I haven't watched baseball for a long time. It just died off to me. 
    • Ashley0616
      That stinks that nothing transferred, and no bookmarks were saved! 
    • Ashley0616
      I'm doing patches for now but I think soon I'll go to shots because it's hard to alternate when you are doing two xx patches at once. Unless she gives me Estradiol and progesterone
    • Sally Stone
      Go Cleveland Guardians!  I love baseball and I loved playing it when I was younger.  
    • Sally Stone
      My view is we are "dependent" on government, because as a society, we are too lazy to stay actively involved. So, we let politicians do our bidding for us.  I think we'd be in a better place government wise if we policed the actions of our politicians.  We elected them; they work for us.  Sadly, we are allowing them to run amok.  We are where we are because we have chosen to let politicians make all decisions without us.  Remember "by the people, for the people?" That was the intent of our democracy.  Today, however, it is "by the politicians, for the politicians," the people be damned. 
    • Mmindy
      "Play Ball! Batter Up!" is the closing line of the National Anthem as far as I'm concerned. It's the call of the Home Plate Umpire and signals the start of the game. I grew up in the TV and Radio broadcast of the St. Louis Cardinals. Harry Caray, Jack Buck, Tim McCarver, and Mike Shannon, were the voices on my transistor radio. KMOX 1120 AM pushing 50,000 watts of Class A clear-channel non-directional signal. It could be picked up all across MO, IL, IN to the East. KS, OK, CO to the West. IA, MN to the North, and KY, TN, AR to the South. There has always been a rivalry against the Chicago Cubs, in the National League. As for the American League, I have to pull for the Kansas City Royals. I've also been a Little League Umpire, and fan of everything the Little League stands for. Going to Williamsport, PA and seeing the Little League World Series is in my top 10 things to do on my bucket list.   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Mmindy
      Good evening everyone,   I don't think my mother ever cooked a meal that I didn't like. We also had a kitchen where mom fixed the food, dad filled your plate, and you eat it. It wasn't until our baby brother was born that we could have Pop-Tarts for snacks. Before that all snacks had to meet mom's approval, and in her opinion wouldn't prevent you from eating supper.   Well my day started off on a good note, but has become frustrating because my IT person didn't transfer my saved videos I use for teaching. Then I found out that they didn't save any of my book marks for websites I use frequently.   Best wishes, stay motivated,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • MaeBe
      The number is relative to method of deliver, the time of the dose, and when the blood is drawn. However, I do want to keep away from DVT and other potential issues. I assume I may be getting backed down from my current dose, but my doc told me to stick with the higher dose, so? I also wonder if this has anything to do the my breast growth and mental changes that have been happening over the past few years, like I have some estrogen sensitivity so a little goes a long way or something? I don't have enough data to postulate, but who knows!   With weekly, subcutaneous, shots you expect to see big swings of serum level estradiol from shot to peak to trough. My doctor is interested in mid-week testing (for E and T levels only), which would be post-peak blood serum levels but they will be higher than trough. Most, if not all, resources I've seen online is to measure at trough (which I might do just to do it next time) along with a SHBG, LH, and other metrics.   This is from transfemscience.org for Estradiol valerate in oil, which is very spiky compared to some other estradiol combinations. It's also for intramuscular, which will have a slower uptake and is usually dosed in higher volume due to the slower absorption rate from muscles. They don't have subcutaneous numbers, which I would expect to see similar spikes but higher levels at similar doses due to the relatively higher absorption rate direct from fat.   Are you doing pills, shots, or patches? And when you do get your levels checked are you getting that done when your levels are lowest or some other time?
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.