• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Glossary of acronyms dealing with LBGT???

ShawnaLeigh

So I am a self admitted naïve little girl inside and it is showing a lot on the outside at times.

One thing that get me is when reading posts here I come across acronyms that were used in the writing that I have no clue what they mean.  Some are really short too but I simply can not reason them out or what they mean.  I mean even the very extended LBGTQ++++++ acronym alludes me was you get past the "Q".  LOL

Please don't ask me to list any of them because sitting here right now I can not think of one I had read.   But they jump out at me and then I spend all this time trying to figure them out and feel stupid for asking what it means.  Like I should know them to be in the club.  LOL 

So I was wondering if we had a glossary for this or a resource of most commonly used acronyms we as trans use.

A very important part for me is the A, which stands for asexuals. 
These individuals, myself included, face a lot of prejudgeses simply because society as a whole is really, REALLY focused on sex, sexual attraction and the belief that if there is no sex in a relationship, it is not truly a "relationship" and that platonic or simply romantic feelings are less worth because there is nothing sexual going on. 
Going through my transitioning, it has been hard for me to really get through to the doctors that no, my relationship is not falling apart because we're both aces and not on the cis spectrum, the sexual part is not a part of our relationship, which has been horribly frustrating as I feel that a lot of time people in the community are very narrowly reduced to "sexual" beings, which is not always the case. 

I personally use Lgbtqa+ 
There are a lot and the importance variate from person to person, I think that's why people add the +, it means that those people are included even when one can't remember all the acronyms :3 

I certainly can understand your frustrations over that.  Thank you for explaining what the A stands for too.  I appreciate it.  I understand the use of LBGTQA+++ and how its a acronym to group "us" all into one community.  

I was trying to find some examples of acronyms I did not understand. 

I remember one was "TERF" which Jackie had explained to me. (but have since forgotten)  Another was "AMAB" which I could never puzzle out.  I even got hung up on what "SO's" were in a recent post.  But figured it out to mean "significant others" base on the context it was being use in.  

(Dang I am naïve.  LOL)

There are many that folks use to shorten a phrase especially during texting.  Like we use LMAO or something similar.

Its just the trans related ones is where I get caught up on.

I do not feel qualified enough to fully explain but the short explanation for "TERF" is "trans exclusive feminists". These individuals, in broad strokes, operate under the notion that only cis women are women (and cis men are men). 
They tend to run with a rather damaging ideology that MtF are trying to invade female spaces ect, ect. 
It's complicated and sadly a wide spread trouble in the community over all, what I've come to see they also tend to be rather picky on who gets to be "feminist/female" enough ,as if it was a competition. 

It's a whole lot of things to take in I'm afraid. 

Just stay safe out there, alright? Not all research will give you nice results, so be mindful of your own health, mentally and physically. 

PS. Asked my partner: AMAB stands for "Assigned male at birth". The A in LGBTQA+ also stands for aromatics and agender. 

48 minutes ago, YharnamDreamDaddy said:

I do not feel qualified enough to fully explain but the short explanation for "TERF" is "trans exclusive feminists". These individuals, in broad strokes, operate under the notion that only cis women are women (and cis men are men). 
They tend to run with a rather damaging ideology that MtF are trying to invade female spaces ect, ect. 
It's complicated and sadly a wide spread trouble in the community over all, what I've come to see they also tend to be rather picky on who gets to be "feminist/female" enough ,as if it was a competition. 

It's a whole lot of things to take in I'm afraid. 

Just stay safe out there, alright? Not all research will give you nice results, so be mindful of your own health, mentally and physically. 

PS. Asked my partner: AMAB stands for "Assigned male at birth". The A in LGBTQA+ also stands for aromatics and agender. 

Wow Thank you.

I would of never figured out AMAB on my own.  LOL

• Forum Moderator

Shawn don't feel badly about needing to ask.  i still often run into new acronyms.  They seem to grow and fade daily.  I remember asking what HRT and cis gender meant.  GT had me worried for a bit so today i use gender therapist often to help newcomers figure out the meaning.  Give it time and just ask.  Maybe i will learn more as well.

Hugs,

Charlize

Btw, there is also AFAB (assigned female at birth), and the R in TERF stands for radical. I don't always know either, but never feel scared to ask.

• Forum Moderator

@ShawnaLeigh Click on Transpulse at the far left in the Green bar (at top) to go to TransPulse Transgender Resources page.  Find Resources.  There is a drop down menu with a Gender Glossary that will help when you are beset by confusion. 

• Admin

Even the glossary on this site that @Jani refers to is out of date on a few issues since the terms and abbreviations change almost weekly it seems.  It is fine to ask someone to clarify a term they have used here on the Forums and if they get snotty about it or demeaning to you let one of us on staff know about it as soon as you see it..  

• Forum Moderator
36 minutes ago, VickySGV said:

...if they get snotty about it or demeaning to you let one of us on staff know about it.  

Somewhere around here we have a stick to whack them with!! :)

37 minutes ago, Jani said:

Somewhere around here we have a stick to whack them with!! :)

Well OK I will not start trouble then.  LOL

Don't forget the most important acronym of all:  "ME"  It's the one that keeps you from having to assign yourself to a label.   No matter the acronyms that might describe my situation, I am me, unique, and unconstrained by any label.

Hugs,

Sally

The acronyms and huge amount of time confuse me, too. I made a big post not too long ago about how I'm not really a fan of the "LGBT" acronym and its derivatives, because it makes me feel ignored. I'm not a huge fan of the term "transgender" to describe myself, either, as I think it's too vague and generalized. I'd rather bring back the term "transsexual" and call myself that, but modern trans people (including people who aren't transsexual and therefore shouldn't have a say) have succeeded in turning it into a slur. What fun.

• Admin

Some terms fall into disfavor for a while and then come back up for a breath.  TRANSSEXUAL had two problems and needed a rest.  The first problem was that the "sexual" part of the word made it harder for us to explain and others to to accept that sex itself was not what our GD was about in and of itself.  The second problem was that the term was hijacked by a group of Trans who insisted that you must have every surgery in the book and then be undetectable in society for many years to be truly a capital T Transsexual and they were hostile and derisive to people who did not want to  be totally hidden and totally undetectable as other than the non birth assigned gender.  It will probably come back into general use someday. 

Yeah, I get that it's a term used by transmedicalists to discount the experiences of non-binary/non-conforming trans people, but the thing is, my transition actually is very medical in nature. Like, to an extent that goes beyond even gender dysphoria. I need estrogen to treat anxiety, depression, and concentration problems that aren't even gender-related. And I am changing my physical sexual characteristics through medical intervention, more than I'm doing anything to modify my "gender". The idea of a "transsexual" in the older sense fits me better than the vague, over-generalized term "transgender".

Don't get me wrong, I fully support non-binary people and all other gender variant people who (rightly) call themselves "transgender", and I realize that under the pre-1990s standards, I wouldn't have met the criteria for receiving transitional care anyway, I'm attracted to women and don't want to have full SRS. Nonetheless, I'd like to have a well-recognized term that describes me more specifically than "transgender" does, and "transsexual" is pretty close.

• Forum Moderator

You could try "Woman," not to pick, but the medical stuff isn't anyone else's business (except your surgeon's obviously). I've got many of the same problems you do when I'm off my estridiol. Many of them I didn't realize I had until they evaporated. After thinking about it, I'm not sure we really need a separate term for society. For our doctors, sure, they need to know how to treat us, but for society at large? We're women. Please treat us as such.

Of course that opens up a new can of worms with the rest of the rainbow of non-binary human sexuality, though non-binary isn't terrible as far as I know. I'm out of touch and I live in the Midwest. Nobody's corrected me, but they could just be polite. Of course it would be easier for everybody if people in general could lay off the labels and just recognize that we're human, same as them. Maybe someday.

Hugs!