• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

ShawnaLeigh

A funny and shocking thing happened to me last night...

ShawnaLeigh

So I am still pretty dysphoric over not seeing the girl in the mirror.  I know there are many who can relate.  I have had one makeover and I admit I looked very female and in my opinion very pretty too.  (But I have always had a healthy ego.)  But that was months ago and that euphoric feeling has passed.

So I was feeling a bit down about this last night and went to take a selfie and do the FaceApp for a quick "Oh there you are beautiful" pick me up.

I snapped a pic last evening so I was hangered by the day and certainly not fresh shaven.  (But my beard does not stand out so much as I have a lot of greys in it.  LOL)

I chose the Gender Swap feature just to see the side by side comparison.

It friggin put a guy with a beard on the other side!!!

I was like WHAT!!!!!  

Then I thought about it and felt ok since the app was telling me I looked female already.  LOL

I still don't see it though.

A. Dillon

Oh, that is a majority of the reason that I would want to get one of those apps; I dream of the day that it recognizes me as a guy. Good for you! If an analytical computer things you are female, you can rest assured that the rest of the world does too. I wish I had that kind of certainty.

Jani

I'm afraid those apps are just a data collection method, and they are used to perfect facial recognition technology.  Not for me! 

ShawnaLeigh
22 hours ago, Jani said:

I'm afraid those apps are just a data collection method, and they are used to perfect facial recognition technology.  Not for me! 

Yes I have heard this too and although it could be a source of concern.  There are so many ways everyone out there can use your image any way they want.  Its just a risk everyone takes using the internet.  Facebook for example.

I enjoy it because it is fun and gives you a potential look at what might be possible in your transition.  

I still myself in the pictures no doubt but the minor feminine tweaks do make the difference.

So this is why I was so shocked that the software identified me as female to being with.  

Changes are so slow on HRT that one does not ever really see it in themselves...

Charlize

I also stay away from those apps.  I would say that seeing yourself as female will come in time.  That being said it sometimes simply makes me smile to see myself.  He rarely shows up any more.  I'll never be a beautiful young girl but i'm happy with the old gal i see.

Hugs,

Charlize

Jani
2 hours ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

There are so many ways everyone out there can use your image any way they want.  Its just a risk everyone takes using the internet. 

I understand but this is no reason to throw in the towel.  Also these enhanced photos could add to dysphoria as they describe a utopian version that may or may not be attainable.  ...just my 2 cents.

Jackie C.

I don't know, I used an app to take my picture and I got this:

FaceRig_17_1_2020__12_55_45.jpg.19f2576d7f227b7ad392d539b23fb227.jpg

I don't really see much of a difference, do you?

I'm glad FaceApp gave you a bit of a pick-me-up though. We all need one of those from time to time. Mine was from my friend Roseanne grousing about, "Why are you so pretty?" Personally, I don't really see it, but we're always our own worst critics aren't we?

Hugs!

ShawnaLeigh

Lol

you always get me.  Lol

KymmieL

I have never used any type of app. let alone the face ones. I have been told by my therapist at one session that if she didn't know better she would think I was a woman. (yea)

I have thought of FFS but that is a ways off. (if at all)

Kymmie

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 75 Guests (See full list)

• A. Dillon
    • Jackie C.
    • J.Ryan
    • MetaLicious
    • DeeDee
    • Debra Michelle
    • CodePoetSarah
    • Calvin 😝
    • kodi23
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Calvin 😝
    Newest Member
    Calvin 😝

No users celebrating today
    • Debra Michelle
      Did a little shopping at Harbor Freight and Lowe's.Needed a new toolbox for home,bought a 56 inch US General.Ran out of room having 3 medium sized toolboxes.Gave one of them a neighborhood kid and he was glad to get it.A good kid and knew he deserved it,let him make the choice on which one.His dad was glad I did this and they both thanked me.Lowe's,a couple new light and a friend of mine whom is an electrician is going to wire them up for me.I pay him cash sometimes and I do get him a 12 pack of Bud Light once in a while.He does drink,not on the job.
    • Jackie C.
      How rude.   However I know that hospitals have licensing requirements that govern what sort of procedures can be done under their care. For example, a local hospital kept my father in law for a week before they admitted they couldn't perform the heart surgery they said he needed.   Personally, I had mine done at a teaching hospital. I sort of assumed that was the norm from my limited experience (the local guy works out of U of M).   Hopefully your surgeon will get this straightened out and find another place to practice. Deep breath. Everything is moving along. This is just a minor bump in the road. Best to have a bump in the road now. You'll appreciate bumpy roads less after your surgery. Trust me on this one.   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      It feels good doesn't it? Just to be treated like one of the girls.   I had the same problem with my pharmacist a couple of months back. She was just having the toughest time finding me in the system until I finally took pity on her and said, "Jackie (because her name is Jackie), sweetie, you know darn well who I am." You could SEE the switch flip over as she put everything together. Glorious. She's much better about it now.   I still get a bump whenever a random stranger treats me just like any other woman. I hope that feeling never goes away.   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      Happy Birthday!   May you have many more as your true self.   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      Not usually what's discussed when you "Whip Out the Big D," but OK. I have a shirt that says, "She wants the D&D" on it. Susan doesn't get it. Bless her heart.   I'm a little disappointed. I admit I was still holding out hope that she'd see that you're still the amazing person she married and carry you to the bedroom for a weekend of apology sex. Punctuated of course by letting the dogs out at regular intervals because they're dogs. Maybe meals too. You should probably keep up your strength while having a wild weekend of apology sex. You cannot live by whipped cream alone.   That said, what you've got isn't bad. So long as things remain friendly, the divorce doesn't have to be too traumatic to either of you. Disappointing that a lawyer has to profit, but what can you do? I suppose lawyers gotta eat too. We're going to have to call her something besides your wife now. She's being cool...ish about your living situation. A good girl friend or three isn't a bad thing to have. Rooming with somebody you actually like can be a rare treat. I think you'll be OK. I mean obviously you need to make plans for the future just in case one of you meets somebody amazing, but for now things are calm and the two of you have a good new groove that works for you both.   Wardrobe is a forever thing. You get a collection started and you add to it, one or two pieces at a time until it falls on you in the dead of night and smothers you in your sleep. Shoes are the same way. I've got a good start to my collection, but I could use another pair here and there. Of course part of my reluctance is that it's hard to find cute shoes in my size. The bigger a woman's shoe size, the uglier the available shoes. Finding stuff I like that's comfortable and cute is a project. You have smaller feet so you'll be less limited.   Excited about you going out as yourself though! That'll be fun and it's a huge confidence builder! It gives you a chance to stretch your girl muscles and figure out how you like to present... which turns back into buying more work clothes, finding shoes and accessories to match and starting the cycle all over again. Until you're crushed by your clothes collection in the dead of the night.   Hugs!
    • Juelie_Atlas
      Congratulations on 6 years! I can't wait to get to that milestone! 😄
    • Miss Bunny
      Yes, I have wondered if it is me creating a self fulfilling effect.   Mind is a weird thing
    • ShawnaLeigh
      So as some know this has been a looming ultimatum placed on me in regards to presenting female outside of the house or in public.  It was agreed upon that once I do the paperwork starts.   We had a very unemotional and matter of fact conversation about this just this morning over coffee.  As two adults working together for our mutual benefit.  I told her I am getting ready to stop hiding outside the house and once the hospital staff knows about my transition there is nothing else holding me back.  Other then my lack of wardrobe but heck I don’t think I will ever have enough clothing or shoes.   We both came to the conclusion that we have been separated as husband and wife for a few months now and not living as spouses at all but roommates and girlfriends.  Which feels right.   Please don’t misinterpret this to me being upset because honestly I am not.  We have both had time to come to terms with this for a couple months and although we both care about each other it is the right thing to do going forward.  Im actually feeling like the cage door had been opened.  I’m scared but feel freed.   The divorce will be in effect for legal purposes only but our living situation will still remain as is.  For both of our financial security.   I’m ending one phase and heading into unfamiliar territory and I’m both terrified and excited for my future.    
    • SaraAW
      Great way to look at it Kathy! I too passed moderately as a man. 
    • SaraAW
      I’m only a little more than a month on meds, but wow has it helped me mentally. Similar to Jackie, I’d been a mess mentally for awhile, even having attended therapy for months. Within a week of starting, it was like a godly of self loathing and despair lifted. I’m also noticing some more range in emotions, subtle so far, but I’m loving it. Any doubts I had regarding whether hrt was for me are completely gone now. I can’t wait to see how things progress mentally and physically, although I know it’s a slow road, so I’ll have to. Thanks for sharing. Hugs!
    • KathyLauren
      I dislike the word "passing" because, to me, it implies role-playing, or pretending to be something one is not.    However, @Belle, I agree totally with your reasons:   Those are the same reason that I try to have a good female presentation.  And yet, despite #2, it doesn't matter to me if someone guesses or knows that I am trans, as long as they treat me as a woman, they don't voice any cognitive dissonance, and I like what I see in the mirror.   I passed moderately well when I was presenting as a man.  I don't need to pass as a woman, because I am one.   Regards, Kathy
    • SaraAW
      Shawna, so exciting!  Sounds like a great time out, with that one awkward experience. So happy for you. Hugs!
    • SaraAW
      I’m wondering, could this be a placebo/nocebo effect?  The mind is pretty powerful and can actually cause physical manifestations of symptoms in all sorts of ways. Not sure I’ve read any literature around bleeding, but I haven’t done a lot of research in this area.    In would definitely recommend to keep an eye on it, maybe keep a diary, recording the dates, times, activities and other things occurring around the bleeding episodes. It may help you and your doc to figure out what is causing it.    Hugs!
    • Jani
      By now you should be healed enough to be able to apply a lotion (like A&D Ointment) to the area where the pad chafes.  It doesn't take much to make a difference.  
    • SaraAW
      Not really sure where I stand on this at the moment. I’m still closeted, so not trying at all to present any way other than cis male normative.   What I really just want is to be able to just be and be treated as a human with respect and dignity, regardless of how I look or present. Then maybe I’d feel safe and comfortable enough to present how I want to in the moment.    Hugs!
  • Upcoming Events