• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shaving your head or...???

ShawnaLeigh

1 hour ago, Kate Carter said:

I recommend avoiding the camera...  there’s a lot going against you with the camera...

First, none of us are comfortable seeing an image of ourselves that is not a mirror image.  You can flip the photo in editing to help overcome that. Second, the camera is not an eyeball... it translates a 3d object into 2d images and the distortion that occurs as a result (especially at selfie distances) can often be unflattering to some of your least favorite features. Taking your pictures through a mirror can help due to the longer distance to subject.  Finally, it’s also incredibly harsh with response to light,  so unless you are good at lighting,  you’re likely to be disappointed over and over again with the way light and shadow is highlighting features and textures on your face...

This thread has captivated me. And @Jackie C., this is so true! I took photography and digital photography courses in art school. And one of tje fundamental things I learned is that it doesn't copy the nature of what the eyes see. Rather it is an impression or translation of light onto medium. Kinda like how audio recordings are a linear harmonic rich signal translated from the complex, multi-timbral sources of the sound of origin being recorded. Anyway, I'm nerding out now... It takes me along time to take a selfie I'm content with. Such dysmorphia. 

I'm pretty blessed to have a full head of hair (sorry not trting to rub it in), though my hairline was at the start of transitioning and is a bit gentlemenly receeded (it'd be handsome if I was a guy I guess, lol). I'm hopeful hrt will prevent any further balding, I'm pretty confident about it anyway. So take what I have to say with a grain of salt... 

As a guy I used to worry of going bald. I developed a habit of occasionally massaging my scalp, and thoroughly when shampooing. Circulation is key. Also being heart healthy ia beneficial to hair health. 

Buzzing your hair stimulates the follicles. Sometimes I'd buzz my head to kickstart a growth period. If you are confident your androgens (particularly dihydrotestosterone (the toxic one)) are down, and your hair is already short (like little more than a buzz, like not so long you'd be sad to buzz it), it might be beneficial in the long run to buzz it. Don't do it if you feel like you'll regret it though... 

Also, I NEVER have or do wear hats. I always worried it would encourage balding (because circulation and not allowing the hair to breath). I've noticed a lot of guys who are balding or are already bald wear hats and caps, I presune because of being self conscious about it. So by my logic wearing headwear excessively could potentially induce baldness and should therefore be avoided. I can't help but think there's something to this. Anyway, I don't know if wigs fit tight or suffocate one's head like hats, I've never tried wearing one. I guess my advice is find one that's comfortable, doesnt chafe, and breathes... 

~Toni

7 hours ago, Kate Carter said:

I recommend avoiding the camera...  there’s a lot going against you with the camera...

First, none of us are comfortable seeing an image of ourselves that is not a mirror image.  You can flip the photo in editing to help overcome that. Second, the camera is not an eyeball... it translates a 3d object into 2d images and the distortion that occurs as a result (especially at selfie distances) can often be unflattering to some of your least favorite features. Taking your pictures through a mirror can help due to the longer distance to subject.  Finally, it’s also incredibly harsh with response to light,  so unless you are good at lighting,  you’re likely to be disappointed over and over again with the way light and shadow is highlighting features and textures on your face. 

I used to take pictures all the time and once in a blue moon,  I liked one.  Usually the best was a studio setup and lighting and shooting on a long focal length zoomed in (less distortion).  So laborious though,  but usually they were the best pictures of myself, male or female.  I just walked away from it,  because too often it left me a dysphoric mess.  

Well I admit to not being a photographer.  I own two cameras and they are both in one iPhone. Lol

i have plans to get some makeup training and a photo shoot soon.  Which I am very excited about.  Then we will see what’s what.  

I do know that most of the good selfies are usually angled and above slightly because the full frontal or lower down laptop angle is just so unflattering and no one wants to see up your nostrils ? I think photos other people take are usually better though, I am a fan of natural smiles and movement over posed shots. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Well,  I broke down and shaved my hair today.  Down to 1/2”.  Thought I’d be sad,  but I’m pretty happy with it,  it was a mess and now it looks pretty good.  I’m still a bit flabbergasted about how much hair has returned to an otherwise bald head.  It’s true that thinning hair looks better short than long... my hair looks much fuller at this length than it did at almost combover length.  Might try again later if more hair returns.  The clincher for me was the Oscars,  strangely enough.  I’ve been on HRT for 16 months,  but still present male for the foreseeable future,  just content right now, and Jon’s and family and stuff...  Anyways,  watching the Oscars and Brad Pitt thinking, “That’s the hair I want”, but then the thinning Al Pacino with long hair, looking strangely like a Klingon came onscreen and I thought, “But, that’s the hair I have”.  Cut it off immediately that evening. ?. Settled for a poor man’s Matthew Fox in Lost vibe.

Still hopeful for another attempt later if hair keeps coming back.  Might try microneedling with PRP to see if it helps.

Hey Ladies this thread is amazing..For the longest time I thought I was the only one going through this, dealing with my bald spot. I been on HRt for 15month, my doc start me on finasteride about 6month ago. My hair has really grown but not on my bald spot which is the back of my head...I use wigs but lately I just given up  started wearing a cap or hat....My bald spot just keeps reminding me that I am still a man, it super Depressing and like I mention earlier, I literally though I was the only one. I see some of yr pics and you al have amazing hair and skin and all the TG woman I know have long beautiful hair. I fig I was just one of the unlucky once. I am happy but sadden at the same time. I just wish this transition was easier for all of us. My profile pic is what I look with a cheap wig and cheap make up, However, every girl on this thread has amazing hair or exp wigs and you all are so beautiful...just wish I look more you ladies..

• Forum Moderator
5 hours ago, Alex C said:

Hey Ladies this thread is amazing..For the longest time I thought I was the only one going through this, dealing with my bald spot. I been on HRt for 15month, my doc start me on finasteride about 6month ago. My hair has really grown but not on my bald spot which is the back of my head...I use wigs but lately I just given up  started wearing a cap or hat....My bald spot just keeps reminding me that I am still a man, it super Depressing and like I mention earlier, I literally though I was the only one. I see some of yr pics and you al have amazing hair and skin and all the TG woman I know have long beautiful hair. I fig I was just one of the unlucky once. I am happy but sadden at the same time. I just wish this transition was easier for all of us. My profile pic is what I look with a cheap wig and cheap make up, However, every girl on this thread has amazing hair or exp wigs and you all are so beautiful...just wish I look more you ladies..

I think we all envy each other. We're our own harshest critics. 

Right now I envy any of you girls that can shower. Spend an extra five minutes just enjoying the water today? For me?

Hugs!

7 hours ago, Kate Carter said:

It’s true that thinning hair looks better short than long... my hair looks much fuller at this length than it did at almost combover length.  

I totally agree with this so I too have gone back to my typical military length hair cut.  The one my wife likes.  But I do it more now because wearing a wig all day long is not as much of a trail as it was when I was trying to grow it out.

My bald spot just keeps reminding me that I am still a man, it super Depressing and like I mention earlier, I literally though I was the only one.

I so feel you in this and no hon you are definitely not the only one.  I was trying to go natural with no wig and I felt wrong going that to one at first.  I felt shy and somewhat embarrassed to wear iit around my wife but now see the positives far out weigh the negatives.

I wore my wig every second from Friday afternoon till Sunday evening and I felt so me it was truly amazing. OK not sleeping but you know what I mean.  However I felt a massive loss when I took it off Sunday evening knowing I was going into a full week of guy mode again.

I see some of yr pics and you al have amazing hair and skin and all the TG woman I know have long beautiful hair. I fig I was just one of the unlucky once.

Don't be fooled by some of these pics.  Makeup and filter and camera angles do a LOT of magic and a wig can make a half way decent looking guy look beautiful.  (Which I feel is my case.  LOL)

Most of my profile pics are from FaceApp though you would be amazed that I am having a hard time getting FaceApp to work for me now.  It swaps me over to an older beared guy pic now.  LOL

I plan to get a full makeover and phote shoot this Friday and then to post the real Shawna very soon. If I look ok that is.

Stay tuned!

34 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

Right now I envy any of you girls that can shower. Spend an extra five minutes just enjoying the water today? For me?

I will try but really don't want to be thinking of JackieC while in the shower.  LOL

Jk.  Love Ya!

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

I will try but really don't want to be thinking of JackieC while in the shower.  LOL

Jk.  Love Ya!

Way to make a girl feel pretty Shawna. ?

Of course I look... and smell... like something that washed up from the big about now.

Hugs!

Lol, my showers are too long already.  I'll be kicked out of the house if they get any longer.    Shawna, always hated the evenings and taking my hair off, but what the heck, I have to take my face off too, might as well go the full distance.

I realized at some point that my hair is never going to look as good and styled as some of my nice wigs anyways, so growing it out, thin or not, would have been an appearance downgrade.

Certainly not putting any untouched photos of my skin on here, I don't know many women that do though of my cis girlfriends, so seems fair.  My highlight of transition so far is when I regularly fool face app to defaulting that I am a woman.  I use it for skin touch up, if I ever use it... (since I largely avoid the camera now). I find the gender swap features are a bit extreme, changes my actual face structure rather than just removing complexion problems... though it does make me a pretty decent looking guy with facial hair.  ?

4 hours ago, Kate Carter said:

I find the gender swap features are a bit extreme

Agreed.  It does not even come close to looking like me after the swap.  Or didn’t before when I used it.  Now it’s useless as it swaps my pic to a guy photo.  
meh.  It was fun.  

Shawna your pic is my one fav. Your MkUp, hair ,everything is on point. I am super jealous. Jackie ..I used to be homeless, so I never really got used to long shower, even now...just dose not feel right. however, just for u I will take 10min shower..Kate ty 4 sharing.. hugs and lv 2 all

Shawna your pic is my one fav. Your MkUp, hair ,everything is on point.

Thank you for saying this.  It makes me smile and I appreciate it.  I need more smiles lately.

Love

Shawna

• 2 months later...
Guest Deleted account

I have the same thinning hair problem, and decided long ago that I would be wearing wigs. When I first transitioned, I wanted long hair because I thought it might make me look more feminine, but as you move along in your transition you realize long wigs are simply a pain in the ass and very hot in the summer. I transitioned to shorter wigs about 10 years ago and found that they actually are more flattering on me and are much easier to care for. Mine has an adjustable cap front and back with velcro straps, and once on, even a strong gust of wind will not blow it off.   

• 3 years later...

I’m bald also and have been wearing wigs for a long time.   A few things I’ve learned.

I’m not fully transitioned yet, but when I go fulltime, I want to pass as cis, so I wear top quality human hair.   Human hair lasts 3-4 times as long as synthetic.   Mine are remy hair.   That kind of hair does NOT tangle because it still has the cutical.  It’s also hand tied.  That means the hair will move around naturally.  And you can style like it’s bio hair with curling irons

Get a front lace wig.  It looks like a real hairline.   Then I glue the front down with hairpiece adhesive, and use hairpiece tape to adhere the nape and earpieces.   It stays on under all conditions.   Even swimming.   The adhesive needs to cure a day to be waterproof.  You can then take showers, swim, etc.

A wig like this can be worn for many days straight.   Just wear it for two weeks, take it off and switch to a duplicate.  Before you switch you need to take care of your scalp.   The first wig can then be cleaned.   

Cis women with alopecia wear their wigs like this.  Google alopecia.

Problem is this is real expensive.   I buy mine from wigs.com or wilshire.com.   Regular price for mine is $2,200.  I buy mine when there is a 30% off sale.   For me it’s worth it.   It’d just like I grew bio hair.

Good luck!

For complexion problems I use retinol and vitamin C serum.   People have commented on my skin and I’m not on hrt.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 3:14 PM, Rishaya said:

Problem is this is real expensive.   I buy mine from wigs.com or wilshire.com.   Regular price for mine is $2,200.  I buy mine when there is a 30% off sale.   For me it’s worth it.   It’d just like I grew bio hair.

Well, exactly. I live on a low income here in the UK and I can really only afford the lowest price ones. Still, they're not so terrible and of course far better than they used to be. There are more pressing aspects of my femininity that I need to work on. I wonder what other low-income MtT people do?

I couldn't afford this either.  My natural hair is shoulder length, but mostly bald on top.  If I wear a hat or something similar it just looks kinda scraggly.  Mostly I wear relatively inexpensive wigs.  I don't really pass well anyway, but they make me feel better when I see myself in a reflection.

I just brush my hair up on top, and put the wig on over it.  They stay on pretty well, but I'm not real active anyway.

The ones I wear I got in a local wig store.  We don't realize how many cis women wear them.

I'm on low income as well. I spent $220 Au on a heat resistant synthetic wig recently. It was worth the extra cost over my previous purchase of $85 Au. Early days but it seems to not get frizzy like the cheaper one - so buy the best you can afford is my go-to. 

My natural hair is very fine on top - it might improve with time - I did attempt to scalp myself running under stairs, so it may be too damaged for the miracles of HRT and AA's to restore

Hugs

MaybeRob