• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is It Supposed To Hurt So Much?

TrIIIy

I got my first testosterone injection at my doctor’s office, and I had barely any soreness the next day.

However, after doing it myself two days ago, my leg is super sore. We’re talking a slight limp kind of sore.

Just wondering whether this was normal or  not. If it’s not better by Monday, I’ll call my doctor.

Sometimes, if I hit a "bad spot" for an injection, I'll be uncomfortable and itchy for a week. When I first started doing the shots, I tended to have pretty gnarly bruises that wouldn't clear up for 2 weeks! I have since learned how to find "good spots" for injections, although I hit a bad spot today, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I tend to get raised bumps, itching, and bruising. Sometimes it burns for a couple of days, but nothing really SORE. If you're experiencing any reactions that are directly related to the shot, especially this soon after starting, I'd call the doc anyhow. They need to know what its doing, even if it clears up. See if ice helps? It usually helps me with injection site discomfort.

It might have been a bad spot. I have zero experience with giving myself injections, so I probably messed something up. I will check in with my doctor and ask him.

• Admin

As someone who took insulin shots for 20 years, I have some familiarity with the problem.  The "good spot-bad spot" theory is pretty "spot" on ?.  There are thousands of nerve endings in all your extremities, and hitting one by accident is fairly easy to do.  On top of that, hitting a capillary or blood vessel can also be painful.  I'm not entirely sure how to guarantee it won't happen (if that's even possible), but your best best is to talk with a nurse about it.  He or she should be able to give you some tips.  I would also suggest marking (with a marker pen or piece of tape) the spots that gave you pain so you can try and avoid them the next time.

Carolyn Marie