• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Joy from just interacting with other trans people?

Krisvm

I have noticed that just interacting and talking with other trans people makes me so happy. Doesn't have to be about anything special just seeing people who share my experiences and just saying hi is one of the things that fills me with joy.

Does anyone else get this or is it just me?

• Forum Moderator

You’re not alone.  This is one of the things that keeps me going to all my local trans support groups...the fellowship.  It’s nice being around others who have been in your shoes. They can relate to your issues on a whole different level.  Most have a genuine empathy for your struggles and an appreciation for your accomplishments.

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

It's nice to know you aren't alone. We're not super common so when you run up against another trans person it's a relief. They understand. So yeah, I did the LGBTQ+ choir a few weeks back. My therapist wants me to join but physical limitations would keep me from going to rehearsal (I shouldn't drive at night without street lights. I get dazzled). I still had a great time watching them all perform. Not quite enough to mingle (yay social anxiety), but enough to enjoy the performance and just sort of bask in the aura of people like me.

Hugs!

• Admin

Getting immersed in a large group of Trans people like yourself for a while, like you can do at a convention, can really give you a shock when you get back into Cis people areas.   I have a "chosen family" group of Trans people that I meet with at least once a week and as hectic and active as the meet ups go while they are going on they are a place I can totally let my guard down, and I end up feeling rested and much more real even being transitioned as long as I have. 

• Forum Moderator
40 minutes ago, VickySGV said:

I can totally let my guard down, and I end up feeling rested and much more real

Good point, Vicky.  Compared to entertaining guests or having family over, being among fellow trans folk is very peaceful.  It feels very much like just another family.

One of my most favorite experiences was working on a campaign for trans rights over six months, surrounded and supported by so many other trans people. It was so affirming!

Thank you all these are lovely to hear. I don't really know any Trans people in real life (only a former therapist) so I just get this joy from doing it online.

Hopefully can find a way to meet more trans people locally. The nearest support group is 20 miles away and I don't drive and keep looking out for events but haven't found any yet that aren't for people under 21.

I actually recently met a trans military man and I just couldn't stop being amazed, you seriously couldn't tell he was trans and I wouldn't have known if he didn't talk to me. I am kinda jealous because I wanted to join the Navy when I was little, just like my dad. 

I was so glad I had that experience because he was so cool, I feel like a child now haha 

I have had nothing but good times with fellow trans folks :D

51 minutes ago, Aidan5 said:

I am kinda jealous because I wanted to join the Navy when I was little, just like my dad. 

Oh my god, exactly! I wanted to join the navy, just like my dad and my grandpa did, as I felt that it was my duty as the only son (in my mind, I often called myself his son because being his daughter just felt wrong, like a word you just can't pronounce right.)

Also, yes it makes me feel way better. It feels less like a just me problem when I can hear your perspectives. It is sometimes hard for me to understand how someone could be born in a body and be comfortable with it, or just ever be happy in their body ever. However, interacting with post- op trans people gives me hope that I could get there someday.  

• Forum Moderator

I totally relate to this.  There is a group of us in the general area that get together from time to time just to socialize.  Typically, we meet at a restaurant for dinner, though we have done other events too.  It is great to meet up with others who understand our journey, even if it is not in a "support" capacity.

I totally agree with everyone! I've always felt like a lone wolf, even hanging out with other loners. I finally feel like I found a community ?

~Toni

4 hours ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

I’ve yet to interact with any trans folks yet.  Except my therapist.  
I look forward to it.  

Speaking for myself, I feel it's important to include these forums in our assessment of interactions.  While they may not be face-to-face, I find them valuable in affirming that I'm not alone - that many have made this journey before me, and mamy will come after.  Face-to-face, I'm flying solo right now, although I have a therapist lined up who i also trans.  I, too, look forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what others have written. Interacting with other trans people is a great experience and makes me feel normal. Most of my interactions have been of the virtual kind. Like here on this board. My local support group is great but they are a much younger crowd. We share our journeys and understand what we have been through but we have much different life trajectories if you know what I mean. I hope to visit a friend I met in Arizona once she has recovered from surgery. It would be great to be able to just have coffee lunch and chat face to face with other trans women. I would love to meet some local ladies in my area.

Hugs,

Angela

• 2 months later...

I hope to find the same as others here. 

My therapist has  support group and it is a bit clinical. Got to know a couple of people and it was great to openly talk and hear others.   I stopped going when it predominantly was only people under 25.  Seems the younger ones have it tougher thesdays and a lot of drama in their lives compared to let's say folks over 35 +.   

I am looking for Fellowship and understanding more than I need approval and ways to calm obsessive thoughts and anxiety that can cause depression.  

Do others feel controlled by all the emotions and such that come with being an odd duck trying to manage in the pond we live in?  

Stay safe! Questioning, Mike