• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Should I get bangs?

Lucca

Right now, I have hair past my shoulders which is not trimmed or shaped at all besides having the ends trimmed. Pretty much the only way to wear it is in a ponytail so that it's out of my face. However, this leaves my face unframed by hair, and so mostly just looks similar to when I had very short man hair. I'm thinking of getting bangs, that way my forehead is covered, there's hair around my face, and it's on my shoulders so maybe it makes them look less broad. It would also give me less of part so not so much skin shows through. I know that bangs are common for trans women who want to make their face and hairline look less masculine, so any input from people who have done this?

• Root Admin

I would have to look at your face to give any hint at all.  My suggestion would be to go to a wig store and even with long hair try on a couple with various styles of bangs.  My own hair is so fine and straight (the only straight bit of me) that my stylist and I have agreed that using my hair for bangs is not going to work.  I have some pictures some of my albums of various bangs styles I have tried, including clip in extensions.  If your hair is heavy and thick enough though, see a hair stylist and go for it.  The difference between a good hair cut and a bad one is only about 6 weeks as my stylist and I joke.

https://www.transgenderpulse.com/forums/profile/14243-vickysgv/?tab=node_gallery_gallery

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

Gotta agree with @VickySGV. I'd need to see your face. Preferably with and without bangs to see if it was working for you. Personally, I tried it with my first, cheapest wig and I HATED it. The things tickled at my brows and it drove me nuts. I'll either wear it pinned back with hairpins or one of my french-style barrettes. For special occasions, I use a banana clip. It's a bigger pain to keep out of my face, but I can do clever things with it and it's sparkly. Some days, sparkly is more important than utility.

Hugs!

Sure, here's my picture, left is the real picture and right is edited to have bangs, though I think I'd want to have straighter, shorter bangs that cover more of my forehead than what Faceapp gave me.

Screenshot_20200201-133751~2.png

• Forum Moderator
Jackie C.

Yeah, OK. I think bangs could work for you. Just a touch over the eyebrows. That could work.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Yeah, OK. I think bangs could work for you. Just a touch over the eyebrows. That could work.

My thoughts exactly...just a little straighter and perhaps a bit longer.  It’s feminizes the face well

Thanks, I'll probably try bangs next time I go in to my hairdresser. Maybe try a bleached streak like I was talking about, too.

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Lucca said:

Maybe try a bleached streak like I was talking about, too.

Oh you would look wonderful with a few highlights Lucca...seriously if you can do it...do it!!  Rarely, if ever, have any of my friends regretted getting highlights. 

ShawnaLeigh
13 hours ago, Susan R said:

Oh you would look wonderful with a few highlights Lucca...seriously if you can do it...do it!!  Rarely, if ever, have any of my friends regretted getting highlights. 

Agreed.  Do it!

• Forum Moderator

I love a few streaks and bangs as they soften the face.  you might also consider plucking your eyebrows to "lift" them and open up those lovely eyes.

Also never forget we are always prettier with a smile.

Hugs,

Charlize

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 78 Guests (See full list)

• MiraM
    • KathyLauren
    • Petra Jane
    • QuestioningAmber
    • Jeanette West
    • Phi
    • Charlize
    • The Viv Element
    • Becoming Jordan
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

stebF
    Newest Member
    stebF

1. Kole Rickard
      Kole Rickard
      (17 years old)
    2. Priya Sweet
      Priya Sweet
      (30 years old)
    • MiraM
      My first endo appointment lasted about an hour.  We talked for a bit about why I wanted to go on HRT and what my expectations were, and the possible side effects, as well as different delivery methods.  This was followed by a complete physical and blood work.  After the initial appointment, he consulted with my gender therapist and primary care physician.  About 2 weeks later, my meds were sent to me.  The first follow up was about 6 weeks later to get some blood drawn and see if I was having any side effects.  I now have a followup with him every 3 to 4 months, going on 3 years now,  and they last about 30+ minutes.  This schedule works great for me since he is also the doctor doing my cancer follow ups and he does the blood work for that and hormone levels at the same time.
    • KathyLauren
      I had zero-depth vaginoplasty, a.k.a. vulvoplasty.  I am a lesbian, with asexual tendencies (or vice-versa), so I knew I would never want penetration by a penis.  I didn't want all that dilation hassle.   I thought the recovery would be faster.  But here I am, six months later, and still somewhat disabled.  Sitting is dificult,  I can't walk any significant distance, and I have constant pain or discomfort.  I console myself that it would probably be much worse if I had the full-depth version, but I don't actually know that.  I am probably looking at a revision, but that will be at least a year away.   I don't think my case is typical, so I'd suggest waiting for more responses before making a decision.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
    • Petra Jane
      Possibly due to some new effect of the updated software, the default TransPulse Green theme caused any topics with more than one page of posts to be distorted in the topic listing   And when moused over, the pages do then show:   BUT they should have been shown in a horizontal line, not a vertical one.   The only way I've found to fix this issue is to re-design the TransPulse Green theme, so if your themes have gone wild, please re-select TransPulse  Default theme.
    • ElizabethStar
      WOW your looking good Berni. You can really see the difference in your before and after photos.
    • ElizabethStar
      My experiences have been a little different. When I first met with my Endo we did the meet and greet, talked about goals, expectations and the risks. She wrote my scripts right there on the spot then sent me down the hall for blood work. I live in an informed consent state. Went beck 2 months later for a check-up/blood work and some adjustments were made. Then Covid hit and it was 5 months before my next check-up and blood test. As of now, I need to check-in with my Endo and see what she wants to do, I need refills by the end of next month and everything is still booked up for weeks.
    • DragonflyGirl
      Wonderful job! Xxx
    • ElizabethStar
      I've been contemplating the same choices but have been leaning toward zero-depth. I just don't see myself dating a guy again. If I find myself in need of being penetrated I still have that other option. But I'm there yet so I can't say that's my final decision.    
    • Jeanette West
      And here I was, looking for a place to ask: when do other girls change their names? I've been on HRT for two years, coming up in four months my FFS, so I was thinking I would file the paperwork with the courts next week. For myself I am sick of hearing my old name and really want to change to my new name.  
    • Jackie C.
      Well, I've got full depth and while I wasn't done HEALING for three to six months, I was fully active after six weeks and able to stand for long periods faster than that. Something like two or three weeks. I weathered a twenty-hour train ride a week afterwards (I hated it, but I got through it). Really sitting was the big hurdle. Dilation was a bigger pain because four times a day for the first month. That really eats into your time.   Surgical time depends on your doctor. Mine can do full depth in three to four hours usually (according to her anyway, I was out for the whole thing).   As for sex, well it depend on whether or not you want vaginal penetration. Your clitoris will work fine either way, but you need a canal if you're going to be using someone's penis from the front.   For me it was a non-issue. While I am very, very gay my dysphoria wouldn't settle for zero-depth despite the relative safety, ease, etc... Honestly, if I could have swung it, I would have gone for the abdominal pull-through method, but it's harder to find surgeons that will do it and I have additional medical concerns.   Even with the upcoming revision (and attendant scheduling nightmare), I'm solidly behind my choice.   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      Pretty much what @Phi said. I talked with the Endo, then she sent me downstairs for blood work. Repeat visits for blood work every two months until my estrogen levels were female-normal. That took two or three tries. Then every six months to make sure my body wasn't doing anything too out of the ordinary. Now I'm down to one a year.   Oh, I should point out that I get my blood drawn and labs done about a week before I see my endo. That way we have something to talk about during the visit.   Hugs!
    • Phi
      My first visit was about to get to know each other, talking about my wishes and my goals and possible side effects. They took lots of blood. A week later I started HRT and had to visit every 6 weeks until my dosage was right. These were just short visits for taking blood samples, asking how I feel, whether there are any problems. When E-levels were within range we scheduled the next appointment 4 to 6 month later. When everything is alright, I have to visit every six month.
    • RhondaS
      You can read plenty of people talking about their first visit to an endocrinologist, but having done that, wondering what happens at follow up visits? And how often they happen as time goes by?    
    • onyx
      When was your last menstrual cycle ... I was getting a checkup and this nurse had to ask me those questions...
    • RhondaS
    • Berni
      Thanks @Lexi C. I'm really enjoying the  codeine floatyness at the moment. 
  • Upcoming Events