• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Jackie Goes For Bottom Surgery

Jackie C.

• Forum Moderator

I almost titled this thread "Jackie Does Philadelphia," but I stopped myself. I must finally be maturing. I'll be adding to it as I go through the process and I'm able. I've never been under general anesthetic before so I have no idea how this is going to hit me. Adventure!

So yeah, on Febuary 4th, I'm going under Doctor Rumer's knife. Why Doctor Rumer? Because I have alopecia universalis (meaning I can't grow hair on my anywhere, BUT it could return at any time*) and can't meet the electrolysis requirements my local surgeon has. This actually applies to most surgeons. I shopped around a lot, but stayed within the continental United States before I could find a surgeon who would have me. So after six months or so, here we are. I managed to squeak in before my birthday this year though, so I'm super happy about that.

So for prep, I spent the last two years exercising as much as I could stand. I started slow, but my workouts now last about three hours and are fairly intense. My upper arms are screaming at me right now about what I did to them Friday. Don't worry, they'll get over it. I lost 110 pounds of fat. Gained who knows how much muscle and about twenty pounds of water weight in the last four weeks when they took me off Spiro. I don't feel bloated, but my body is retaining pretty much every ounce of fluid I drink. Stupid metabolism. Still, I'm under the weight limit for my height so off to the surgeon I go!

Part One: Packing

I'm packing for the trip today. I'm glad I don't need a lot of clothes for the trip because my suitcase is FULL of supplies. I've got a memory-foam donut, my wig head, a pack of bed pads, a pack of vaginal wipes, a package of depends, my body wash and a toothbrush. I managed to squeeze in two pairs of socks, two pairs of underwear, my nightshirt, my skirt and a pair of t-shirts to wear while I'm there. Plus the clothes on my back. My suitcase is FULL.

My purse is full of medications to get me through the trip plus my phone and an extra copy of our tickets. Just in case.

For carry-on, I filled my backpack with the rest of the medication I need to get through my day plus hibicleanse, my bowel purge kit, my kindle, my tablet, a bluetooth keyboard and charging cables. There's a little wiggle room for my fox ears because I'd rather not be bald until I have to be. They can admire themselves in my scalp once I'm unconscious.

This part is unique to me, but Susan has celiac disease so whenever we go anywhere she packs like we're tackling the Oregon trail. We'll have gluten free bread, a variety of instant soups, two kinds of deli sandwich spread and oatmeal. I plan to eat whatever the hospital gives me with gusto. I am like the mighty cockroach.

Susan's out getting more luggage tags, so I'm just doing the dishes and cooling my heels until it's time to head out to lunch. We decided on a late lunch so we could clean out the refrigerator as much as possible. We're hitting the buffet so there won't be any leftovers to worry about and we'll both be full like ticks. Skips the hassle of dinner too.

Well, off to my grand adventure! My attendance is probably going to be spotty for the next couple of weeks. I'll be on when I can and continue my epic tale when I'm able! Good luck everyone! I'm having an adventure!

Hugs!

* I mean it probably, almost certainly won't, but it COULD. Doctors like to cover their butts in America.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jackie C.

• Susan R

• ShawnaLeigh

• Jani

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Omg I am so excited for you!!!!  I will pray for a great surgery and an easy recovery for you.  I will be waiting as patiently as I can for your return here to TP!!!

Please keep us posted.  I want pictures and play by play action And everything!   Lol

(ok maybe not pictures.)

Good luck sweetie and you got this!

• Forum Moderator
4 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Well, off to my grand adventure! My attendance is probably going to be spotty for the next couple of weeks. I'll be on when I can and continue my epic tale when I'm able! Good luck everyone! I'm having an adventure!

Oh, I want to hear all about this adventure whenever you have a moment and feel up to it after the surgery.  I am so happy for you.  You seem in excellent spirits too, Jackie.

I have to mention...I got a big chuckle off your descriptive humor regarding the packing for the trip.  You’re taking it all in stride and it’s nice to see.

4 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

so whenever we go anywhere she packs like we're tackling the Oregon trail.

Reminds me of my wife’s packing for trips.  I just love your humor. ?

Best of Luck and Be Safe,

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

Wishing you good results and a swift, easy recovery.

Regards,

Kathy

You got this!! I hope you get the chance to share with us what the entire experience was like and how it feels now to be post-op ?

• Forum Moderator

Right now it feels like I didn't get enough sleep. I've been on a train all night. One more train trip to go before I arrive. Then the bowel purge. That will be fun. Still in high spirits though! See you on the other side!

Hugs!

Good luck Jackie. Sounds like you’ve done some good planning and prep, an important part to any recovery. I wish you a speedy and easy recovery. Hugs!

The very best of luck Jackie.  We are all pulling for you.

Don't give the nurses a hard time.  They are your lifeline.  LOL

Take care and keep us posted!

• Forum Moderator

Thank you everyone! I'm currently on the hotel wi-fi and waiting for the Purge to begin. Not sure if I like this keyboard. I'm already missing my rig.

PART 1.5 -- THE RIDE

To save money, we took the bus... and a couple of trains... to get here. The one universal rule of mass transit seems to be that you're glad when it's over. So three nights of poor sleep later... I'm not sure they'll need anesthetic to put me under. A hot flash while trying to sleep in a train seat is my new least favorite thing. The station in Philly is very nice. We've got a commanding view of the skyline from our room... which is also very nice. The room that is. The skyline is just buildings. Different buildings, but that's not really my jam.

Mad respect for Susan's decision to just use Taxi service while we're here. Traffic in the city is nuts.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Glad you arrived safely Jackie.  Now be sure to get some much need quality sleep before you go under.

My Best,

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

I used Uber to get around the several times I flew in to the Philadelphia area.  It works easily and is inexpensive.  

Jani 

OOh, Jackie, I'm so excited for you!  We'll keep you im our thoughts, and you keep us posted, m'kay?

• Forum Moderator

No promises after tonight. I'll do what I can, but I won't have anything besides maybe my phone until Friday. No idea how much of a hot mess I'll be either. I'll post when I  can though. Tomorrow starts early. 

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Part Two - The Bowel Cleanse

So this part begs some discussion. The night before, my surgeon had me perform a bowel cleaning. We accomplish that with two bottles of mag citrate, laxatives, and whatever was in those prescription drugs. That's important. 

Your bowels turn into basically a log ride. The kind where everyone gets a little wet.

By 11am I had thought that the worst was over and fell into a much needed sleep. For about three hours. When I woke up, I thought I had just had a hot flash and soaked through my underwear. The horror didn't fully emerge until I was back in the bathroom. Casualties include one of my good pairs of panties and my nightshirt. Hopefully housekeeping can save the sheets. Susan has been very understanding, but now I'm afraid to go back to sleep. 

Let my folly be a warning. Depends are your friends. Especially if you have a second hit of laxatives just before bed.

Yes. Ew. I am absolutely mortified. I don't want to gloss this part over though if it can save one of my sisters in the future so harken and listen well!

I also still have an enema at 4am.

No hugs this time. I showered in Hibiclens, but I still feel gross.

Oh my! I know it's not very feminine but I'm a sucker for potty humor ☺️. But I'm intentionally not visualizing...

I'm so excited for you Jackie! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers today!

Belle ❤

• Forum Moderator

I should also mention that mag citrate comes in flavors. Cherry was OK. Not the best I've ever had, but OK for laxative. Grape was awful. I got it down, but shuddered after every gulp. So gross. I usually like grape flavor but this stuff? Ick.

Beginning to see the (toilet) humor, but still mortified. I may still die of embarrassment. 

Hugs! You should wash your hands though. 

• Forum Moderator

Interlude

So here I am, lying on top of a leak pad and reading a book. Tiamat's Wrath if you were curious about what I read for fun. Susan is snoring in the other bed. Probably safer and one of us should get some rest. I love that woman very, very much. I'm glad she has a little peace. 

I'm thinking about my surgery tomorrow and thinking about what I'm feeling. Besides hunger. I haven't eaten since 4PM Sunday. 

I'm not afraid. I'm more worried that my nightshirt won't come clean than I am about today. 

There's excitement. I need this and I think I'm looking forward to it being finished. It's more like correcting a flaw excitement. Maybe excitement isn't the right word. Relief feels better. This thing nature saddled me with is getting a radical make-over today. With hard work and time, it will be as close as I can get to having the body I should have had all along. 

Being trans is about struggle. We work to deny ourselves. When that fails we work for acceptance. First from within to accept our own truth. Then again to get the world to let us live as we must. We struggle with our families, both blood and found, to find love. Some fights are harder than others. Some fights we lose. We keep fighting because what other choice do we have? Bit by bit we force a life into being. Our lives. Lives we can live with pride and dignity. 

I've been blessed. I have a lovely wife and good friends who accept me. My blood family won't talk to me, but that's their loss. They don't deserve to know the wonderful woman that I have become. 

So here I am. Sleepless and on the cusp of a life-changing surgery that society says I need to claim my life and I only feel at peace. I feel serene and full of hope. It's been too long coming, but I finally feel free.

And a little gross. My teeth need brushing, I need to start my enema and I want to shower for like a week.

Hugs!

Jackie, I’ve bowel prepped before, I completely understand the mortification. I thought it was finished on several occasions to my own peril. 

Just in case, I think I’ll go with head pats instead of hugs. All the best in your recovery. 

Jackie your words were indeed beautiful and spoke to how so many of us feel.

I am very excited for you and smile every time I think of you.  

I too have been a victim of pre-surgery bowel cleansings and your are so right.  It never seems to end.  

Good Luck in there and don't mover when they start to...  Well you know.

Take care girl!