Jump to content
  • Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

    We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Viv Element

I think i'm lost

Recommended Posts

The Viv Element

Hi guys and gals! 

 

I'm going to feel super guilty for sharing my life because it's nothing compared to the struggles i've seen people go through here & I apologize in advance if i'm giving off any bad vibes but i feel like i need to explain my life alittle bit so you guys can get a bettter understanding of the situation i'm in. 

 

Okay so here goes nothing... My parents discovered that I was born deaf at 1 years old ( they noticed how i wasn't waking up to loud noises crying like every other baby would so to confirm their suspicions they had to take two frying pans above me while sleeping in the crib and bang them together LOL, I was still sleeping like a log. Thats when they knew, I was deaf or had some hearing impairment. fast forward to 2 years later, I had a surgery on the side of my head to implant something called a Cochlear Implant, basically its like a hearing aid but much more advanced and better. So I did grow up being able to hear and i'm so grateful for that because I couldn't imagine a life without music or hearing my family talk, and so on. But I also got made fun of in school because of the implant on the side of the head & the fact that i sometimes said "what" alot because i couldn't hear properly in loud settings. I've had people mock me with "WHAT" but i took it lightly and always played along, I had friends and enemies but at least the enemies knew not to mess with me because I was also in good shape and won a few fights during elementary/junior high school years... So i didn't have it as bad as some people do on here and I wish i could fight/stand for you guys because noone deserves that kind of treatment. Anyways, eventually i got to highschool where i was hanging out with the wrong crowd and fell into a society full of drugs and alcohol. This is where things started to go wrong, I don't even think i was myself then looking back on those days now, I can't believe i did any of that & i wish i could just start it all over because I dropped out of highschool in grade 10... I'm 23 years old now, turning 24, With no high school diploma, With only 1 month experience in a job and that was a summer job. So technically, I've been doing nothing with my life the past 6 years & i hate it & i wish i cared then, and I believe the reason why i stopped caring then was because I was always trying to fit in with people and i never felt like myself, so I was never happy (I was too stupid to realize this at the time) and the past 6 years have given me so much insight on life and myself,  it feels as if lately, i've been getting much more comfortable with myself and my body as I transition (196 days), I dont think i remember feeling happy those last 6 years until the process started. I still get sudden episodes of depression and dark thoughts because of where i am in life right now, Not because of who i am, but because of where i am. I'm SOOOOO out of shape & i practically have no experience or anything to put on my resume as where i've been the last 6 years so finding a job is tough, especially for a person who's deaf & trans with speech problems here and there, So I figured I would get some GED books and start studying because i need to feel productive somewhat, but It's so hard to focus now & sometimes it feels like my brain is in a fog (I can't even think sometimes). I'm starting to think i might even have dyslexia/ADHD or something because I can't memorize things right away as i read sometimes. I've just been feeling hopeless about my future & I don't know what to do anymore, I have the motivation but no matter how hard I try to study or find a job, It doesn't end well. So i'm asking if anyone knows any solutions/advice to combat my unproductiveness (if thats even a word lol).  

 

I'm really sorry for the long unnecessary read & i hope you guys don't see me any less of a person... I just don't know how to move forward to being independent successfully in a society that views deaf/trans as a hindrance on their workplace or not being able to study at the same pace as everyone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
TammyAnne

I see you being very heroic as you struggle to pull yourself up. Nothing bad about that.

Having gone through the 60s I've seen my share of drugs and alcohol, plus an extra share too. While I have some regrets, I think those were not the things that held me back, but symptoms of what troubled me, which is my struggle to accept and understand my sexuality vs. repressing it to point of denial.

While I am well educated, I can promise you that education doesn't equal "smart" or "capable". In fact it can be a hindrance for many.

Earn your GED and be proud that you have the initiative to better yourself, which is more than the average high school grad can say.

TA

Share this post


Link to post
Susan R
1 hour ago, The Viv Element said:

I'm really sorry for the long unnecessary read & i hope you guys don't see me any less of a person... I just don't know how to move forward to being independent successfully in a society that views deaf/trans as a hindrance on their workplace or not being able to study at the same pace as everyone else. 

You never need to say sorry for posting something at any length.  I’m here to read about you and others and frankly what you have written is one of the reasons I love this place.  Your authentic and asking for real help.  Never be concerned about that.  But I get it...I just made a long post myself and said I was sorry for too many questions on it.  Oh well!  Lol.

 

The good news is that you are, looking at the big picture, still very young and your adult life is just really starting.  Yeah sure, things might have been easier if the followed the usual path but even that doesn’t guarantee success and that bridge has been crossed.  Recognizing the need for change is a great first step. Reaching out is next and that’s why you’re here.

 

There are lots of options out there but jobs are tight in this economy...at least here in the US but Canada’s likely similar.  I and several others just gave someone a few ideas in a recent post so here’s the LINK to that thread.  When you have any additional questions, I’ll try to help any way I can.

 

My Best,

Susan R🌷

Share this post


Link to post
The Viv Element
3 hours ago, Susan R said:

I and several others just gave someone a few ideas in a recent post so here’s the LINK to that thread.


Thank you for sharing this!! it gave me the idea of volunteering so i'm going to figure out what places are taking on volunteers around me.

Share this post


Link to post
ShawnaLeigh
3 hours ago, TammyAnne said:

While I am well educated, I can promise you that education doesn't equal "smart" or "capable". In fact it can be a hindrance for many.

OMG this is me too.  I have two degrees and 30+ years of highly technical experience on my resume and I am still a "knot hole".  (A phrase of my now departed father)

I know I am very intelligent in some arena's and then I feel so naïve and unexperienced in other areas. You can always improve upon yourself so don't ever stop trying or be ashamed to try.

 

2 hours ago, Susan R said:

The good news is that you are, looking at the big picture, still very young and your adult life is just really starting.  Yeah sure, things might have been easier if the followed the usual path but even that doesn’t guarantee success and that bridge has been crossed.  Recognizing the need for change is a great first step. Reaching out is next and that’s why you’re here.

 

 I was thinking the same thing as I read threw the replies.  You have a lot of time to figure things out and go for what you want or love.  Its hard to not focus on the trails and tribulations of your past and sometimes we only see our failures and not the good we did or can do.  Life is hard for everyone and there are some its a lot harder.  I think now that you have it in your mind to make a positive change and grow then you will start seeing successes vs things from your past that kept you down within yourself.

 

Good Luck

 

Share this post


Link to post
DeeDee

Viv, first of all stop apologising, your life and struggles are just as valid as everyone else's.

 

Your past contributes to who you are now, while on paper it may be lost time, you can always make a start. As someone who has transitioned you are already easy to classify as determined and someone who is capable of decision making without succumbing to peer pressure to fit in.

 

I used to work for a charity that was set up to help people who had been long term unemployed get back into the work place. The first thing we did was spend time with someone and get to know their personality - what do you enjoy doing? what things make you passionate? what would be your dream job? Then work backwards until you find something that has aspects of those that you can enjoy and find job satisfaction in.

 

Get back into a routine of getting up in the morning and sleeping at night, often sleep patterns are the first to go and they have a huge impact on us emotionally. Also start walking or swimming or something else you enjoy to make you more active.

 

It was harder to get people in the door, because UK law meant that once the disability discrimination act was passed employers struggled to get rid of genuine bad apples without being accused of discrimination. The charities long term employment rate was through the roof because the employers ended up not only with someone who was trained to do the job (we went in learned it and then taught it to the person making any adaptations needed so that no one could say they couldn't do it) but with someone who actually cared about the job they had. Sometimes we just gave people the confidence to just put themselves out there and apply for things. There may be something similar in your area if you look.

 

When you make up your resume focus on your transferrable skills for example - being enthusiastic and adaptive, outgoing, quick to problem solve, great at maths or accounting, eloquent and a good communicator and listener - whatever they are everyone has talents and skills they can bring to a new place, and make previous employment just bullet points with your education.

 

If you feel you need the paper qualifications go back and get them, just be prepared to get annoyed with those who do not take the classes as seriously as you.

 

Hope some of this is useful to you. (I did type this up hours ago but the site timed out and wouldn't let me back in)

🤗

Share this post


Link to post
The Viv Element
15 hours ago, DeeDee said:

Viv, first of all stop apologising, your life and struggles are just as valid as everyone else's.

 

Your past contributes to who you are now, while on paper it may be lost time, you can always make a start. As someone who has transitioned you are already easy to classify as determined and someone who is capable of decision making without succumbing to peer pressure to fit in.

 

I used to work for a charity that was set up to help people who had been long term unemployed get back into the work place. The first thing we did was spend time with someone and get to know their personality - what do you enjoy doing? what things make you passionate? what would be your dream job? Then work backwards until you find something that has aspects of those that you can enjoy and find job satisfaction in.

 

Get back into a routine of getting up in the morning and sleeping at night, often sleep patterns are the first to go and they have a huge impact on us emotionally. Also start walking or swimming or something else you enjoy to make you more active.

 

It was harder to get people in the door, because UK law meant that once the disability discrimination act was passed employers struggled to get rid of genuine bad apples without being accused of discrimination. The charities long term employment rate was through the roof because the employers ended up not only with someone who was trained to do the job (we went in learned it and then taught it to the person making any adaptations needed so that no one could say they couldn't do it) but with someone who actually cared about the job they had. Sometimes we just gave people the confidence to just put themselves out there and apply for things. There may be something similar in your area if you look.

 

When you make up your resume focus on your transferrable skills for example - being enthusiastic and adaptive, outgoing, quick to problem solve, great at maths or accounting, eloquent and a good communicator and listener - whatever they are everyone has talents and skills they can bring to a new place, and make previous employment just bullet points with your education.

 

If you feel you need the paper qualifications go back and get them, just be prepared to get annoyed with those who do not take the classes as seriously as you.

 

Hope some of this is useful to you. (I did type this up hours ago but the site timed out and wouldn't let me back in)

🤗


All of this was useful for me!! Thanks a bunch Deedee, Also I saw that you're from Scotland, You should visit Nova Scotia sometime :) It stands for New Scotland, we have a strong scottish presence here as well as gaelic classes and a few other things including pipe bands! I think you'd love it, that is if you're a fan of Scottish culture of course.

Anyways thank you everyone for bothering to comment :) i feel better now. Take care everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
TammyAnne

A quote just came to me. It's on one of my t-shirts but I think it's from Tolkein's Lord of the Rings:

Not all who wander are lost.

 

I've always felt like a wanderer.

I think none of us are lost.

 

TA

Share this post


Link to post
The Viv Element
1 hour ago, TammyAnne said:

Tolkein's Lord of the Rings:

Not all who wander are lost.

 

Thank you for sharing this! I've never read tolkein's version or even the newer LOTR books but I grew up with the movie box set & I love fantasy/sci-fi related stuff so this quote will be a reminder to pick up those darn books next time i'm at Chapters. 

But even if we were ever lost, its only temporary 😋

Share this post


Link to post
DeeDee

I am glad you could take some positives. 😊 I was lucky enough to do a whirlwind tour and visit friends in Calgary and Toronto a couple of years ago, but would love to visit Nova Scotia! I just couldn't squeeze it in last time, and I am still trying to save up enough to come back. The scale of land is just mind boggling for me - some areas were so similar and yet just stretch off to the horizon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Susan R
7 hours ago, The Viv Element said:

But even if we were ever lost, its only temporary

I fell to the dark side for a bit of rebellion in my late teens too.  When you’re struggling with issues like the ones we have been all our lives and have very little if any support to be found, it’s not uncommon to stay away from the path set forth.

 

I nearly killed myself and my best friend in a car accident due to drinking at age 18.  I haven’t drank since but it set me straight...well sort of.  It really depends on who you ask..lol😉

 

Take care of yourself Viv,

Susan R🌷

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 81 Guests (See full list)

    • Lucca
    • Cyndee
    • ElizabethStar
    • VickySGV
    • Robin.C
    • Dana Michelle
    • MaryEllen
    • Chibdeeb
    • RunValRun
  • Topics With Zero Replies

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      71,636
    • Total Posts
      651,902
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      7,221
    • Most Online
      8,356

    Adelaide
    Newest Member
    Adelaide
    Joined
  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today
  • Posts

    • Dana Michelle
      I'm 38 and I haven't had my hair cut in 18 years, and have been on estrogen and testosterone blockers for 2 1/2 years. My hair goes about 1/3 of the way down my back, which is the same length it was before starting hormones.  
    • Chibdeeb
      Hello. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area! I just joined yesterday.   I'm going to get right to the point. After starting T over one year ago, my inner labia (Which were not small to begin with) Have completely disappeared. They're just gone. There's a barely noticeable ridge of tissue where they once were, and my outer labia are about 1/3 the size they used to be.    I'm not complaining, but I have never heard of anything like this happening whatsoever. I've heard about a loss of elasticity, but what the frick.   As for the other issue, I sometimes get ''cramps.'' I haven't had a period in a year, but I get cramps randomly without any schedule or predictability. Sometimes they're severe enough that I have to lay in bed with a heat pack.   I would bring this up with my doctor, but he doesn't answer my emails at all anymore and his office is hours away. Does anyone have any similar experiences? Is this normal or worrying? Thank you.
    • Jani
      Yes we endured an eleven day ice storm and the resulting outages years ago.  Furnace, water pump, water heater and refrigerator are all critical!  I have a transfer switch that allows me to swap over to the generator safely.  I'm not a prepper either but some things are a given when you live where I do.  
    • KathyLauren
      @Jani, I am glad you were well-prepared for the power outage.  Out on the west coast, a few years ago, we endured an eight-day outage caused by a major storm.  That motivated me to get a generator.    I made sure both that house and our current house are wired so that the generator can power anything on the premises.  Not all at the same time, of course, but fridge, freezer, well pump and the controls for the oil-fired furnace can all run off it, as well as the computer and the TV.    I don't consider myself a "prepper", but I do believe in being prepared for some of the more likely events, like storms.
    • claire1000
      The only person other than my therapist I told was my primary care physician, I new that because of other medical conditions she would see the hormone therapy in my blood work.I wanted to see how I felt on the hormones before I told family.At about 6 months my eldest daughter said there was something going on with me and wanted to know if I was ill, she said I looked different to her.What I had not realized that with prior weight loss the hormone therapy had started to change my facial appearance somewhat.She was the first that I told followed by her sister and my 2 sons.The girls have been wonderful but the sons not so much.But now living full time everyone knows this is going to be permanent, and whatever time I have left I am going to live as Claire.
    • Michellle
      Oh ok, that sounds easy. How do you record your files? In the studio or do you have your own recording software?
    • SL
      Congratulations! Good luck with the new path! I'm sure you'll do great!
    • Jani
      Yes our hair tends to grow dependent upon a number of factors including our genetic makeup.  Here are the stages of growth.   Anagen is the active growth phase of hair follicles during which the root of the hair is dividing rapidly, adding to the hair shaft. During this phase the hair grows about 1 cm every 28 days. Scalp hair stays in this active phase of growth for 2–7 years; this period is genetically determined.   The catagen phase is a short transition stage that occurs at the end of the anagen phase. It signals the end of the active growth of a hair. The hair detaches from its blood supply during the catagen phase. This phase lasts for about two to three weeks while a club hair is formed.   The telogen phase is the resting phase of the hair follicle. When the body is subjected to extreme stress, as much as 70 percent of hair can prematurely enter the telogen phase and begin to fall, causing a noticeable loss of hair. This condition is called telogen effluvium.
    • Jani
      @KathyLauren That is so nice that you can effectively communicate about what you love and that people respond.   Keep going!   With the storm running up the East coast we had a period of high winds and rain in the early evening.  Lights in the house flickered a few times but it seemed we were safe.  But at 8pm the winds kicked up again and power went out!  I decided against lighting candles and went to bed at 9pm.  At 11:30 it was still dark, although the moon was full and it was very bright outside.  As it had been close to 4 hours I was concerned about my refrigerator.     I got dressed and went out to the garage to connect and fire up the generator.  I pulled it out and connected the underground cable to the house.  Thankfully it still had some gas in the tank.  I went out to buy more fuel, but it was already 12:30am and I didn't know how extensive the outage was.  Thankfully I saw the streetlight was on about a quarter mile from the house and I was able to find fuel at a local station that is 24hour.      After topping off the tank I sat in my car to cool off and listen to the radio.  About 1:30 I saw a power company truck pass by looking at the overhead cables.  I went to bed and awoke at 5am to see the power had been restored.  Great!  I went out to the garage in my night shirt to turn off the generator.  We don't generally loss power in the summer but the winds were really strong.  Thank goodness for the power crews!!  
    • Jani
      Kylie I hope it all went well and you are resting comfortably when you read this.  We'll all thinking of you.   Hugs, Jani
    • Jani
      Wonderful News Emily!!  I hope it works out for you and you find your new passion!
    • Jani
      Hello Rory and welcome!  Take you time to sort out who you are.  In the meantime, please join in.   Jani
    • Jani
      Hello HollyNoel and welcome!  Jackie's site has been very interesting, she's so positive.  Great news about seeing a therapist.  As to makeup, try to experiment and remember less is more!  Please join in the conversation!! Jani
    • Jani
      Its looking much better now.  
    • Jani
      In regard to "Secret 'o Life" isn't it amazing how some songs really hit the point and speak to us in a deep manner?   I've always loved the positive message in "Shower the People". 
  • Upcoming Events

×
×
  • Create New...