• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Susan R

I’m late to the party but finally got my ears pierced today.

Susan R

Today my wife and I went to a local mall and she surprised me and said we’re here a few days earlier than planned but you’re getting your ears pierced right now.  It is hard to believe I used to wear those painful headache-causing clip-ons for all those years back in the 1980’s. Back then, I was afraid of being outed at work so I continued to put up with the lack of variety and style options and stuck with clip ons when I went out at night.  My friends used to to tell me it was not a big deal...you’ll have no problems but I never listened.  They thought I was crazy for not getting my ears pierced.  So fast forward to a few months ago, my wife and I decided I’d finally get them pierced on Valentine’s Day, of course my wife had other plans.

There was a cute little 8 year old girl getting her ears done right before me.  She was a real trooper and teared up after the piercing but did not cry.  Her parents were so proud and the little girl was so happy.  So I was next, and luckily with two employees there, they were doing both ears simultaneously.  I sat down, they wiped down my ears with alcohol, drew on a dot and “bingo” the deed was done.  I absolutely love them.  They feel like they add a little extra femininity to my presentation.  I can’t  wait until I’m able to wear other styles besides these studs.  Now I have a whole new thing to shop for when I’m in the mood.

Here’s a pic of my ear so you can see the style I picked.  I got the 14ct. Gold studs so there’s a reduced chance of infection or reaction.

7BE1798C-84A3-46A2-ABB8-D04A7BFE4174.jpeg

AdriannaB

I was 8 when I had my ears pierced for the first time.Had studs put in that no one noticed.One thought I had was it was going to hurt bad.My mom said it was not going to hurt bad at all.I learned she was right,sat like a trooper and took it.Stung a just for a second

soyangela

Congratulations Susan! I got mine pierced back in October. I went this past weekend to the piercing place to get them removed so I can start wearing different earrings. They told me I need to wait for 6 months to make sure my ears are completely healed. I was a little bummed to hear that. But I've waited this long what is another 2 months.

Hugs,

Angela

Susan R
5 hours ago, soyangela said:

I got mine pierced back in October. I went this past weekend to the piercing place to get them removed so I can start wearing different earrings. They told me I need to wait for 6 months to make sure my ears are completely healed. I was a little bummed to hear that. But I've waited this long what is another 2 months.

Thanks Angela.  The people who did mine told me something similar.  They said I could change them out after six weeks but had to leave them in AT ALL TIMES for six months.  Morning noon or night they could not be removed except to change styles.  I have a lady that lives down the street who makes some beautiful custom earrings.  I told her I’d soon be a customer once this six week window ended.

Angela, what kind of studs did you end up getting?

My Best,

Susan R🌷

Susan R

I forgot to add...one of my biggest worries was sleeping with earrings on because I sleep mainly on my stomach.  I was pleasantly surprised that I never had a single issue last night sleeping. I couldn’t really feel them against the pillow unless I slid my head across which is not something I do normally.

The only noticeable behavioral change I’ve made is being very careful when toweling off my hair around my ear.  I forgot about having my earrings on and immediately felt a little soreness on my earlobe while drying my hair today at the gym this afternoon.

Other than that, it’s business as usual.

Susan R🌷

Alex C

Congrats Susan they look great...

soyangela
16 hours ago, Susan R said:

Angela, what kind of studs did you end up getting?

My Best,

Susan R🌷

Hi Susan, I got small hoops with a little compression ball. I didn't like any of the studs they had at the piercing place. I religiously did the hot water and then dial antibacterial soap to make sure they healed fast.

Hugs,

Angela

Susan R
3 hours ago, soyangela said:

Hi Susan, I got small hoops with a little compression ball.

The place I got my piercings done had a choice of yellow gold or white gold 1/2” diameter hoop as a starter and I really wanted those over what I got.  I was concerned about sleeping with them on being that I’m a stomach sleeper most of the night.

TC,

Susan R🌷

Cyndee

Nice ! 

Enjoy Susan :)

Cyndee 

Susan R
56 minutes ago, Cyndee said:

Nice ! 

Enjoy Susan :)

Cyndee 

Thanks Cyndee.  You’re a sweetie!

soyangela
1 hour ago, Susan R said:

The place I got my piercings done had a choice of yellow gold or white gold 1/2” diameter hoop as a starter and I really wanted those over what I got.  I was concerned about sleeping with them on being that I’m a stomach sleeper most of the night.

TC,

Susan R🌷

The ones I got are surgical steel (silver). I sleep on my side and at first they hurt a little bit. But I think they were just healing from being pierced. I can't even feel them now. The ones I have are about 1/2" diameter. I want to get new hoops a little larger and wider for everyday use since I haven't fully transitioned.

Jani

Congratulations Susan.  I'm sure you're happy.  Don't worry about your sleeping position as you'll get used to the sensation at your lobes.  Its never bothered me except when I've forgotten to swap out some larger hoops or dangles for the studs I wear at night.

Hugs, Jani 

Susan R

@Jani thank you!  Yes, I am happy...and just like my transition, I wish I had done it years ago.  Oh well, we do what we can, when we can.

Thanks again,

Susan R🌷

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 117 Guests (See full list)

• secondlook
    • MaryMary
    • Ronin82
    • A. Dillon
    • Jani
    • Juelie_Atlas
    • Aidan5
    • Miss Bunny
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Carrie Davidson
    Newest Member
    Carrie Davidson

1. Alice
      Alice
      (30 years old)
    • MaryMary
      yeah, my ex has gone trough similar things. It's not just us that transition, other people also have to adapt. I observe that often when a SO learn we are transgender there's often a kind of mourning period/adaptation period they have to go trough. It's cool that she's making efforts and it's also cool you let her process that and give her space to adapt. What she is going trough is normal I think. My ex is an expert at writing and I sometimes say semi jokingly that she should write a book for SO
    • secondlook
      This is me to the letter. I hated that guy for so long, and now that I know who I am, I have nothing but forgiveness and appreciation for how hard he tried to do something impossible. He had to invent himself out of thin air and try to function as a person.
    • Jani
      OH, don't say that!  
    • KathyLauren
      I never used MySpace, but I, too, remember Compuserve.  And what a big deal it was when I upgraded my 1200 baud modem to 9600 baud.!   OK, I'm old.
    • secondlook
      Here's a particularly relevant passage from the second link:     (I removed the citations from the original paragraph to make it easier to read)
    • secondlook
      My wife is still really upset about learning that I am transgender. Just last night she was sobbing about it. But at the same time she is trying so hard to be supportive. When I mentioned that a family member had said something transphobic over the weekend, she got mad at herself for having missed it and was truly sympathetic about how it must have hurt me.    When I noted, in hopefully a non-accusatory way, that she has at times seemed a little bit skeptical about my coming out, she admitted that she was. But then she admitted that she might just be in denial. I told her it was OK if she was in denial, it's only been a few weeks for her and I was in denial for decades!   Then this morning, she came home from an appointment and shared a story she'd read online about a young teen struggling with gender identity. So clearly she's going out of her way to educate herself and understand what's going on.   The thing she was upset about yesterday was that I had shaved my legs, and she asked me not to shave my other body hair just yet. She wants time to adjust. I think that's totally fair and reasonable. I don't want to leave her behind, I want us to navigate this together.
    • TammyAnne
      Another former smoker here. I've been quit for so long that it's completely behind me. But in the early days of quitting I was very repulsed by smoke. Now I just move away from it. But then many parts of the country smoking is becoming rarer. TA
    • Jani
      I used to skate on the lake we live on when I was younger also.  So much fun!  When I was in the Navy I worked the night shift; it has a different vibe to it than days or afternoons.  Enjoy your nap later on.  Have a good day Donnie!
    • TammyAnne
      Well it's actually just a play on the Boston accent: party is pronounced "pahty" sounding like "potty." I for one don't party in the potty. TA
    • secondlook
      I found a couple of links through a cursory search:   https://www.hrc.org/blog/new-study-reveals-shocking-rates-of-attempted-suicide-among-trans-adolescen https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/142/4/e20174218   I haven't looked closely at these to see how high the quality of the research was.
    • TammyAnne
      Hi there and welcome! I think lots of us cautiously stuck our toes in the water at the outset. It's okay to have confused feelings. It's okay to be unsure. It's okay to change your mind - more than once even. TA
    • Jani
      I remember CompuServe!  How did we ever survive on dial up??  I never had a MySpace account but my son did.  It was all the rage at the time.  We've come a long way.
    • Suzanne1
      I chose to place this post in the General Forum (i.e., as opposed to the suicide prevention forum), since relates more to simple academic curiosity.   "Most transgender people have attempted suicide at least once in their lives."   I've read the above quotation so many times.  It seems like a truism to be included in any casual reading about the transgender population.  However, it occurs to me that I've never actually seen reference to a study in any of the scientific literature.  I'm assuming that proper studies do exist, and that one can likely assume that I've just never run across any?  Seems like it could be a complicated subject though; lots of reasons for suicide attempts; probably lots of suicidal-ideations sans attempts; and, there are certainly co-morbid conditions that aren't just secondary to intra-psychic distress caused by gender dysphoria; also, .  Again, just curiosity on my part; just trying to learn something.   Anyone have any citations (i.e., other than pop-psych surveys)?  I'm a goodly distance from a university library, and there's a limit to what I can research through the internet.
    • TammyAnne
      First of all, I hope your surgery goes well and that you will feel all the better for it. Then comes the screed: The better overall physical condition you can be in, the better your outcome will be as far as resistance to pain. It's preached by the armed forces to the point of insanity sometimes, but there is some truth to it. A strong healthy body recovers from trauma faster. That shouldn't mean suddenly quadruple your exercise regimen. But having regular physical activity that is balanced between strength, cardiovascular and endurance will make things easier. For myself, between knee surgeries I had over a year to get ready for the second one, which included both weight loss and muscle strength gain. Recovery from the first surgery was prolonged and difficult. The second surgery I was up and around faster, more aggressive with physical therapy and recovered in half the time of the first. It's still going to hurt, but feeling healthy in your skin improves your frame of reference. TA
    • A. Dillon
      The same thing happens to me, I will be checking myself out in the mirror because I pass, tell my dad, and then have him tell me that I don't look anything like a guy. Then I will go back, and see everything about me that marks me as female. Suddenly, my self esteem will plummet, and I feel like a girl with short hair again. Not a good feeling, wouldn't recommend it.
  • Upcoming Events