• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I’m late to the party but finally got my ears pierced today.

Susan R

• Forum Moderator

Today my wife and I went to a local mall and she surprised me and said we’re here a few days earlier than planned but you’re getting your ears pierced right now.  It is hard to believe I used to wear those painful headache-causing clip-ons for all those years back in the 1980’s. Back then, I was afraid of being outed at work so I continued to put up with the lack of variety and style options and stuck with clip ons when I went out at night.  My friends used to to tell me it was not a big deal...you’ll have no problems but I never listened.  They thought I was crazy for not getting my ears pierced.  So fast forward to a few months ago, my wife and I decided I’d finally get them pierced on Valentine’s Day, of course my wife had other plans.

There was a cute little 8 year old girl getting her ears done right before me.  She was a real trooper and teared up after the piercing but did not cry.  Her parents were so proud and the little girl was so happy.  So I was next, and luckily with two employees there, they were doing both ears simultaneously.  I sat down, they wiped down my ears with alcohol, drew on a dot and “bingo” the deed was done.  I absolutely love them.  They feel like they add a little extra femininity to my presentation.  I can’t  wait until I’m able to wear other styles besides these studs.  Now I have a whole new thing to shop for when I’m in the mood.

Here’s a pic of my ear so you can see the style I picked.  I got the 14ct. Gold studs so there’s a reduced chance of infection or reaction.

7BE1798C-84A3-46A2-ABB8-D04A7BFE4174.jpeg

I was 8 when I had my ears pierced for the first time.Had studs put in that no one noticed.One thought I had was it was going to hurt bad.My mom said it was not going to hurt bad at all.I learned she was right,sat like a trooper and took it.Stung a just for a second

Congratulations Susan! I got mine pierced back in October. I went this past weekend to the piercing place to get them removed so I can start wearing different earrings. They told me I need to wait for 6 months to make sure my ears are completely healed. I was a little bummed to hear that. But I've waited this long what is another 2 months.

Hugs,

Angela

• Forum Moderator
5 hours ago, soyangela said:

I got mine pierced back in October. I went this past weekend to the piercing place to get them removed so I can start wearing different earrings. They told me I need to wait for 6 months to make sure my ears are completely healed. I was a little bummed to hear that. But I've waited this long what is another 2 months.

Thanks Angela.  The people who did mine told me something similar.  They said I could change them out after six weeks but had to leave them in AT ALL TIMES for six months.  Morning noon or night they could not be removed except to change styles.  I have a lady that lives down the street who makes some beautiful custom earrings.  I told her I’d soon be a customer once this six week window ended.

Angela, what kind of studs did you end up getting?

My Best,

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

I forgot to add...one of my biggest worries was sleeping with earrings on because I sleep mainly on my stomach.  I was pleasantly surprised that I never had a single issue last night sleeping. I couldn’t really feel them against the pillow unless I slid my head across which is not something I do normally.

The only noticeable behavioral change I’ve made is being very careful when toweling off my hair around my ear.  I forgot about having my earrings on and immediately felt a little soreness on my earlobe while drying my hair today at the gym this afternoon.

Other than that, it’s business as usual.

Susan R?

16 hours ago, Susan R said:

Angela, what kind of studs did you end up getting?

My Best,

Susan R?

Hi Susan, I got small hoops with a little compression ball. I didn't like any of the studs they had at the piercing place. I religiously did the hot water and then dial antibacterial soap to make sure they healed fast.

Hugs,

Angela

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, soyangela said:

Hi Susan, I got small hoops with a little compression ball.

The place I got my piercings done had a choice of yellow gold or white gold 1/2” diameter hoop as a starter and I really wanted those over what I got.  I was concerned about sleeping with them on being that I’m a stomach sleeper most of the night.

TC,

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator
56 minutes ago, Cyndee said:

Nice ! 

Enjoy Susan :)

Cyndee 

Thanks Cyndee.  You’re a sweetie!

1 hour ago, Susan R said:

The place I got my piercings done had a choice of yellow gold or white gold 1/2” diameter hoop as a starter and I really wanted those over what I got.  I was concerned about sleeping with them on being that I’m a stomach sleeper most of the night.

TC,

Susan R?

The ones I got are surgical steel (silver). I sleep on my side and at first they hurt a little bit. But I think they were just healing from being pierced. I can't even feel them now. The ones I have are about 1/2" diameter. I want to get new hoops a little larger and wider for everyday use since I haven't fully transitioned.

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations Susan.  I'm sure you're happy.  Don't worry about your sleeping position as you'll get used to the sensation at your lobes.  Its never bothered me except when I've forgotten to swap out some larger hoops or dangles for the studs I wear at night.

Hugs, Jani 

• Forum Moderator

@Jani thank you!  Yes, I am happy...and just like my transition, I wish I had done it years ago.  Oh well, we do what we can, when we can.

Thanks again,

Susan R?