• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Weight Loss

Robin68

I'm not sure where this post belongs so I am putting it here. Over the past 6 months I have lost 57 lbs. and have now reached my weight goal with a normal BMI. My weight is 184 and I very much want to manage to keep it at this level. In many ways, when I view myself in the mirror at this weight, I feel more feminine and this is very reinforcing. But because of my age of 68 years, I see a good deal of sagging skin around my waistline. One might expect that this would also be true of my face, but it is not. My face has thinned out smoothly in a way that I think makes me look younger. With makeup and a wig, I might not look that bad.

But the big question for me is how this will be changed if I begin HRT. From my reading online, it is my understanding that beginning a estrogen regimen could actually cause me to gain weight (water weight). I do not want this outcome but may not have a choice. Of course at my age, there may be other issues to contend with when doing HRT. Perhaps it is out of the question for someone in my age bracket. I would be interested to learn from the wisdom of others on this website.

Hugs,

Robin68

I understand the tendency to gain body fat on HRT is more of a feminine distribution of fat: hips, thighs, breasts.

I'm sure after having worked so hard to lose weight you're reluctant to see it return. About all anyone can do is maintain proper diet and exercise to keep from blossoming too much.

I'm a year older than you, still waiting to get my appointment with the Endocrinologist to begin HRT, so I hope we're not considered "too old".

TA

Robin,

I was once 286 pounds at 5'7".  I had a very stocky shoulder and upper body but lets face it I was fat.  LOL

I had doctor recommended Bariactric surgery last August due to my weight causing other health issues and of course to lose weight.  I am currently at 158 today.  Loose skin is definitely a part of large weight loss and other then surgery to get it removed its most likely there for life.  I have it around my lower waist line and the inner most thigh area.  Both of which can be covered up easily and if I get to worried about it there is shapewear to control my jiggles.  LOL

Like you I did not get any lose skin on my face or neck and I too have smoothed out nicely with HRT.

I have been on HRT since last November and I continue to lose weight as needed at a healthy rate.  I am on a very controlled diet and weigh everything and track it on a phone app.  I'm getting 1000-1200 calories per day.  (Nutritionist supervised program.)  

I have not noticed any sort of water weight either as the "T" blocker I take is a diuretic medicine that is used to treat a variety of things but has an effect to boost potassium and it will dry you out.  

"E" will effect weight too, or so I have read, but I have had no experiences with it causing me to gain or have a hard time losing weight.  The redistribution of fat if gained again will change from a male pattern distribution to more female takes a couple of years to swap around. Though males can gain weight in "female areas" too just not they would. Then it does not move fat from one location to the other, just grow's it in female areas as mentioned above as your body chemistry changes to female.  So you will not gain in your belly after you have been on it for a couple years.  YEAaaaa!

50 minutes ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

I have been on HRT since last November and I continue to lose weight as needed at a healthy rate.  I am on a very controlled diet and weigh everything and track it on a phone app.  I'm getting 1000-1200 calories per day.  (Nutritionist supervised program.)  

Thank you ShawnLeigh! This is super-encouraging. I am very impressed that you continue to lose weight. I will investigate the "T" blocker. Perhaps it would be right for me. My doctor has me taking a large dose of vitamin E each day and I lost 57 lbs. while on it, so maybe I can lose weight while on HRT. I can talk to a nutritionist through my HMO to set up a maintenance diet. Your report on fat distribution is great news also. I am 5'11, so my weight at it's peak was 241 and I technically was considered morbidly obese. Now I'm just morbid! LOL! TammAnne I am pretty certain you and I are not considered too old for HRT. I have read about MtF tgs in their 70's getting HRT, though I've never met anyone. But maybe we both need to discuss it with a physician.

Hugs,

Robin68

Robin, my medical and therapy team at the VA have been going over and through everything carefully with me for over a year. We're taking a "pedestrian" pace even if I would love instant results. Patience is necessary.

TA

Well TammyAnne, then you are several steps ahead of me.  I'm not a veteran so I will need to find an alternative path. I just learned that there is therapy available for transitioning transgenders offered by my county government. That's great news! They may offer a range of other services as well. 

Robin

7 hours ago, Robin68 said:

Well TammyAnne, then you are several steps ahead of me.  I'm not a veteran so I will need to find an alternative path. I just learned that there is therapy available for transitioning transgenders offered by my county government. That's great news! They may offer a range of other services as well. 

Robin

We're all on life's path together, dear Robin.

A gender therapist is going to be able to help you sort out yourself, help you decide where you're going with this (if anywhere), and ask the hard, thoughtful questions that you would never think of by yourself. It's a very important part of the puzzle.

TA

1 hour ago, TammyAnne said:

We're all on life's path together, dear Robin.

A gender therapist is going to be able to help you sort out yourself, help you decide where you're going with this (if anywhere), and ask the hard, thoughtful questions that you would never think of by yourself. It's a very important part of the puzzle.

TA

So much truth in this.  Well said TammyAnne.

Thank you both for your support. I am admittedly nervous about meeting a gender therapist. But I realize it is essential. When I was 8 years old, I was terrified of jumping off the high-dive at the neighborhood swimming pool. But my brother coaxed me onto the board. The pool had a rule that once you are on the board, you could not back down. You had to jump off the end into the pool. I ascended the latter and reached the top but once I was there, I chickened out and wanted to climb down. But I could not do this. I was paralyzed with fear standing on the board looking down at the water. Other people were lining up behind me waiting for me to jump. People all around the pool perimeter began shouting "Jump! Jump! Jump!" I stood there for what seemed like an eternity. But finally blind with fear, I jumped off the end of the diving board. Everyone cheered as I jumped. I'm sure you see the parallel with this situation. I feel like the scared kid facing the truth about myself.

Oh hon do we know what you mean.  Fear confusion and even disbelief in what is going on within you is crippling at times.  
it does get better.  Slowly.  Day by day.  

The best thing, Robin, is that seeing the gender therapist doesn't mean any particular path has to be followed. The therapist will help guide you in finding the path you choose. Trust me, I have changed my mind 2 or 3 times over the past year or so over whether to transition or not, and how much to transition. No one is going to force you into anything.

And I finally realized it's okay to be afraid of who/what your true nature is. That has brought me a lot of closure and inner peace in accepting myself.

TA

2 hours ago, TammyAnne said:

The therapist will help guide you in finding the path you choose. Trust me, I have changed my mind 2 or 3 times over the past year or so over whether to transition or not, and how much to transition.

This is very helpful. I think my procrastination is something that comes with the territory. I wish I had opened myself up fully to this at a much younger age. My choices I think would be clearer. Don't get me wrong, I am not engaging in self-blame. The world when I was in my teens and twenties was a very different place. I felt then that suppressing my inner self was my only option. I am grateful that at least now  I have some remaining life to do something about integrating my inner self and my outer self. 

Hugs,

Robin

Hey Robin sorry for the late reply but you will gain weight on HRt but like Shawa said it redistribute some to yr hips and breast and ( a large portion) on yr waist . I start at 5'3 125 and I have gain 11 pounds during my 15 months on HRT. Good luck keep doing what yr doing.

Congratulations on your recent weight loss Robin68!!

Very good timing to do so prior to starting HRT.  

I lost 20lbs before starting HRT last summer, and 20 more since.  Much happier with my weight now than before!

My flexible plan is to lose 20 more and level off to 10lbs below my current weight.  Keep working, no rush, we'll see what my body says. I'm ok now, even if not quite my target size.  Willing to fight for what I have already if need to. 

Any case, it appears it's best to drop the lbs before, as it's more of a fight once the levels get higher.  Best to you

16 hours ago, Alex C said:

Hey Robin sorry for the late reply but you will gain weight on HRt but like Shawa said it redistribute some to yr hips and breast and ( a large portion) on yr waist

Alex C, there are no late replies. ? Yes, I hope that if weight gain occurs, it will be redistributed to enhance my feminine figure. It sounds like this is a common experience with HRT. Hello Ms. Maddie! You appear to be a new member, so welcome and thank you so much! I agree that I am in a much better position to begin HRT and by regularly monitoring my weight, I believe I may be able to manage it. Of course these weight outcomes may vary depending on who you are. I will just have to see what happens and try to make adjustments accordingly. If HRT makes it harder to lose because of water retention, there are supplements sold which are designed to address this problem. They might be worth exploring. 

Hugs,

Robin

12 hours ago, Robin68 said:

If HRT makes it harder to lose because of water retention, there are supplements sold which are designed to address this problem. They might be worth exploring. 

I guess I’m having a hard time understanding why people say this.  The most widely used T blocker is a diuretic and tends to remove water more then store it.  I’m super dried out all the time now and can’t seem to literally drink enough water.  
E maybe does this on the flip side but I have no issues losing weight on fairly high does or each.  
ymmv.   

7 hours ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

The most widely used T blocker is a diuretic and tends to remove water more then store it.  

I have not started HRT, so maybe I should closely monitor what happens. If I'm using a T blocker and it yields your outcome, then it sounds like I'll be lugging a bottle of water around with me everywhere, instead of worrying about water weight gain. That would be preferable. I suspect that individual reactions may vary since we all are different. 

On 2/13/2020 at 2:04 AM, Robin68 said:

Of course at my age, there may be other issues to contend with when doing HRT. Perhaps it is out of the question for someone in my age bracket.

It's not out of the question at all. I began HRT last Dec 4th....at age 71.  If you decide it's really for you, it's doable.

Hugs,

Astrid

2 hours ago, Astrid said:

I began HRT last Dec 4th....at age 71. 

Wow! That's awesome!! How has it been going for you so far, dear? ?

I have not started my HRT and have lost weight from 205 down to 175 pounds. I now vary between 175 and 185 constantly, being 6 foot tall and slender, I am quite happy with my weight. I am  not happy with the saggy skin in the lower abdominal area nor with the idea of weight gain in that area with HRT. SoI am interested in this thread as well and following it.

1 hour ago, JoniSteph said:

I am quite happy with my weight. I am  not happy with the saggy skin in the lower abdominal area nor with the idea of weight gain in that area with HRT.

It sounds as though we are very similar. But what ShawnaLeigh says about how taking T blocker counteracts the weight gain does give me hope. This week is big for me because I am going to check out the county Gender Health Clinic for the first time. I want to see about setting up an appointment with a therapist and learn of the other services they offer. I think they offer HRT. YIKES! I can't believe I am going to actually do it. ?   

It does sound like we may be quite similar, though I still have no source as yet to look at for my HRT @Robin68.  I will be following your progression and wish you all the best this week my dear. :) WE will be waiting to hear how you make out following your appointment.  I am less than a year younger than @Astrid so I am interested in what she has to say as well on her HRT progression.

23 hours ago, JoniSteph said:

I am less than a year younger than @Astrid so I am interested in what she has to say as well on her HRT progression.

Well, first of all, keep in mind that as a non-binary person, my goal was to try microdosing estradiol (patches) as a way to address dysphoria, not to do MtoF transition.  My physician discouraged using spiro, due to the potential adverse side effects, so I am refraining from that. While results will obviously vary with each individual, here's my experience, so far:

• The explanation that I might not see any breast growth until month 5 or 6 turned out not to be the case.  By week 3, my nipples started exhibiting soreness. By week 5, budding began.  By week 8, it became clear that I'll need to wear loose-fitting shirts if I want to avoid attracting undue attention to my chest.  If I had to estimate, I'm about halfway to an A cup in just 11 weeks.  I'm quite sure that if I'd stayed on my initial-size patch the entire time, I'd be even farther along than I am.  Again, a caution that others may have different results.
  • During this time, I've been adjusting my patch strength downward, steadily, in consultation with my doctor (via their portal email question/answer). This has lessened the growth rate and nipple soreness, I believe.  And I'm happy with the breast development I've had...I feel like it's "just right" for me, and if continued growth occurs even at very small levels of estradiol, then I'll stop it.
  • I'd wish I'd been able to have my second doctor's visit and examination at 6 to 8 weeks out from starting, rather than 12 weeks.
  • Keeping in mind my goals (microdosing), I found it odd that my physician started me out with a relatively large patch (patches from the same manufacturer are all identical in strength; they simply come in different sizes to deliver different daily rates of estradiol) and was slow to recommend halving it.  So, in 11 weeks so far, we've adjusted down now to the smallest available patch, and I'm cutting it down (with scissors) even smaller. 
  • I have male pattern baldness to contend with, and have been using Minoxidil and Finasteride (the latter via prescription) for about 8 months now.  With the additional boost of estrogen, I'm beginning to see hints of fuzz.  It will likely never be fully restored, but it's a nice feeling, and a further reason I'd like to continue microdosing, if I can.
  • Body hair growth rates have definitely slowed.  I'm shaving my legs less frequently now.  (Meanwhile, I continue electrolysis sessions two hours each week.  Slow, steady progress that's permanent.  Laser treatment doesn't work for white hairs, something that we older folks must keep in mind.)
  • I've maintained my weight (5'7" and ~142 lbs) throughout.  Yay.

In summary, HRT has been right for me... I've not regretted it for a second, even knowing that I may have to discontinue it (only because it will have been **too** effective).  Welcome to my world of non-binariness ?.

Hugs and best wishes,

Astrid

Wow - Thank you @Astrid, I didn't mean to hijack @Robin68's topic but I am impressed with the detail of your HRT progression. I know our goals maybe different as an end result, however just seeing your body changes, discussions you had mainly with yourself considering your goals, hair growth - facial, body, and male pattern baldness. I have all the same problems with hair which gives dysphoria from facial hair being so course and thick. My Electrologist doesn't recommend going any further until we see if HRT will thin my facial hair somewhat as it is so thick to make a difference other than PAIN. :) 

I have made note of all your points so I may advance some (most :) ) when I manage to find my way forward. 

Thanks 

JoniSteph