• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Alex C

stand up for one self

Alex C

So like many of you I have made no bones of my trans life. I  go out in public , I go to social and friends gatherings as a well, Yet I will occasionally be call him or he.....now here's the dilemma..I will correct the person  on the spot whether it at a bar and the said person is a belligerent drunk or doc office. The dilemma is I will feel super depress for the rest of the day even though I stood up from myself, because no matter how hard I still getting him...Breathing sucks..So when you stand up for yourself what trigger do you use to maintain the feeling of worth and dignity up for suggestions . Trying to be proud, alex

ShawnaLeigh

I’m not exactly sure Alex.  I get mishendered all day long 7 days a week but I still present male in public.  Even so hearing the wrong pronouns chews on me as I know who I am.  I naturally do not correct anyone due to my presentation but I hear what your saying and feeling.  For me it’s self inflicted so I can’t say much.  In other times I do what we all did for so long and hide behind false male self confidence and bravado.   
However depression is tough hon.  It’s a powerful and sometime crippling emotion.  I never understood the depths of depression until I came out.  The inner conflict. It’s a horrible emotion.  
On the flip side pride in yourself and standing up for yourself is almost euphoric as it’s make you feel good about who and what you are.  
I think at some level it’s ok to use that old male shell to protect yourself from such things.  We had to be macho, tough, proud and strut.  Acting like nothing phased us even though we were scared or hurting inside.  Some of those learned actions and emotion eventually became a real part of us.  Use them as they too are a part of you.  
Ok so now you may come off as being a witch with a B but we as women have that prerogative too. Lol

In the end it may just boil down to self confidence in knowing who you are sprinkled with a lot of “I don’t care what they think”.  
Eventually it won’t matter to you anymore as you will solidify your feminisms and personality.  

or like I said earlier. 
Im not sure.  Lol

Maid In Bedlam

Alex, We gotta make our own decisions Nobody can tell us what to do Keep your eye on the strongest vision as you want to be
The right people in your life will see it too.

You've tired of all the misgendering. You can really see it in your post But regardless You still breathe your still awake But everytime this happens you feel your heart sinking and a little piece of your of your personal utopia dies.

All i can say is many all the same right now and have been in the past. But We have to make it through somehow.

Just try to keep your passion We can all really see your light  shining through
Dont be obbsessed by the people that would do this just because they can.
In your mind you know the truth The world can seem so strange when you get mis represented. Got to admit. I havent been called Sir in a long time but i can still remember how much it use to ching my armour.

Going back to the above. I would believe that reading the situation is the best way forwald. Firstly, Is it worth even correcting someone? Are they your freind or your potential foe? Do you stand or walk? Which theres no shame in. its a kind of Are they worth it? As far as freinds go or people you see on a regular basis. Then maybe a correction is needed. Just so they know the mistake and hopefully correct themselves in the future. If they are not ready to apolosgise then are they really worth your time?

Jani

I agree with Maid about determining whether it is safe or prudent to correct someone.  But aside from that, I can say it will always hurt a little when it happens.  But eventually you will get a tough(er) skin and it won't get to you as it does now.  Remember that in today's environment even cis women get called out sometimes (guys too).  Just focus on being the best you that you can be. 

Hugs, Jani

Alex C

thanks ladies...I try to follow the great advice....I keep forget sometimes but ty I really appreciated 

ToniTone

My job at Starbucks is a struggle. I'm not very passing. My coworkers are all very sweet, supportive amd respect my pronouns. But I get misgendered by customers quite a bit. Sometimes it really throws me off and I find myself dwelling on it for the rest of the day. 

If the customer is old, foreign, or has otherwise been very respectful through the transaction, I try to just let it go. I don't want to cause a scene or draw unwanted attention. But I've been getting better at calmly correcting people when they misgender me... 

I dunno, it's a struggle.

~Toni

Suzanne1

I can only speak for myself.  I've only corrected one person in my life for "mis-gendering" me, and I wish I hadn't done it then.  Reading someone's gender (regardless of that person's biological sex) is a matter of perception (i.e., the impressions we leave).  I figure if I am referred to by incorrect pronouns/salutations, that's more my problem than that of the "offending party" (so-to-speak). 

Lots of genetic women-folks get misgendered.  Why should we be surprised that it happens to us?  Regardless of our self-identity, our genetic constitution puts us at something of a disadvantage when it comes to presentation, and the impressions we make upon others.

Frankly, I don't care that much how others read me, especially relative strangers interacting in casual social/business situations.  Again, just my opinion.

Alex C

Toni I forget you have such and interacting job. Heck I don't know how you do...but thanks for the advice

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 120 Guests (See full list)

• Stacie
    • J.Ryan
    • Chrysalis
    • Becoming Jordan
    • Suzanne1
    • SaraAW
    • Yurian Ariake
    • Aidan5
    • A. Dillon
    • Miss Bunny
    • Cyndee
    • Erkaneli
    • KathyLauren
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Stacie
    Newest Member
    Stacie

1. Alice
      Alice
      (30 years old)
    • A. Dillon
      I saw this earlier, the balloon part is certainly interesting ;)) Can't wait to hear it. What is the muse?
    • SaraAW
      I came out to my wife a few months ago and she still breaks down crying at times. We were both an absolute mess when I came out to her. She is slowly coming around, but reads into everything I do, as if there is another shoe about to drop. She has a very hard time with change in general, so I expect it to take a long time for her to fully accept everything. 
    • J.Ryan
      I agree with your points on passing. I “pass” because I am a man, and this is how I feel most comfortable, I pass, according to society, for no one but myself. Just because how I feel most comfortable aligns with society, I shouldn’t be ashamed or less than other trans people because I can ‘blend in’ with ‘cis society’.    The other reason I think passing is important is to feel safe in your own country/state/province. There are still many homophobes and transphobes that being “outed” could be a life or death situation to some people. 
    • ShawnaLeigh
      When I came out I was a blubbering mess and it took me days to get it all out to my wife.  She was a rock and was unemotional for my sake and just listened and encouraged me to just be honest and say what I needed to say.  It was so hard for me.  Breaking out of my shell of protection and the conditioning to hide everything for decades was insurmountable to me.   I had to remind myself it was not JUST about me but about us.  About everyone I love and care about really.  They too have to take time to accept and adjust and wrap their minds around it all.  Like you mentioned we had month or years to accept this of ourselves they have had day to weeks.  My wife admitted to mourning the loss of her husband as she sat there and watched me changing before her eyes both in personality and physical appearance.  I slowed down for both our sakes. Yes we deal with this all our lives to some degree and more so once we come out and put ourselves in high stress and anxiety over every step of it.  We seek acceptance, love and support but they too need this in return. There is no guide lines or time lines to do any of this so do what feels right for both of you at a pace that is accepted by both. You are lucky she is as accepting as she is and concerned for your wellbeing.  It seems like time and slow progression will be a good thing for you both. JMO
    • secondlook
      I support this idea!
    • MaryMary
      yeah, my ex has gone trough similar things. It's not just us that transition, other people also have to adapt. I observe that often when a SO learn we are transgender there's often a kind of mourning period/adaptation period they have to go trough. It's cool that she's making efforts and it's also cool you let her process that and give her space to adapt. What she is going trough is normal I think. My ex is an expert at writing and I sometimes say semi jokingly that she should write a book for SO
    • secondlook
      This is me to the letter. I hated that guy for so long, and now that I know who I am, I have nothing but forgiveness and appreciation for how hard he tried to do something impossible. He had to invent himself out of thin air and try to function as a person.
    • Jani
      OH, don't say that!  
    • KathyLauren
      I never used MySpace, but I, too, remember Compuserve.  And what a big deal it was when I upgraded my 1200 baud modem to 9600 baud.!   OK, I'm old.
    • secondlook
      Here's a particularly relevant passage from the second link:     (I removed the citations from the original paragraph to make it easier to read)
    • secondlook
      My wife is still really upset about learning that I am transgender. Just last night she was sobbing about it. But at the same time she is trying so hard to be supportive. When I mentioned that a family member had said something transphobic over the weekend, she got mad at herself for having missed it and was truly sympathetic about how it must have hurt me.    When I noted, in hopefully a non-accusatory way, that she has at times seemed a little bit skeptical about my coming out, she admitted that she was. But then she admitted that she might just be in denial. I told her it was OK if she was in denial, it's only been a few weeks for her and I was in denial for decades!   Then this morning, she came home from an appointment and shared a story she'd read online about a young teen struggling with gender identity. So clearly she's going out of her way to educate herself and understand what's going on.   The thing she was upset about yesterday was that I had shaved my legs, and she asked me not to shave my other body hair just yet. She wants time to adjust. I think that's totally fair and reasonable. I don't want to leave her behind, I want us to navigate this together.
    • TammyAnne
      Another former smoker here. I've been quit for so long that it's completely behind me. But in the early days of quitting I was very repulsed by smoke. Now I just move away from it. But then many parts of the country smoking is becoming rarer. TA
    • Jani
      I used to skate on the lake we live on when I was younger also.  So much fun!  When I was in the Navy I worked the night shift; it has a different vibe to it than days or afternoons.  Enjoy your nap later on.  Have a good day Donnie!
    • TammyAnne
      Well it's actually just a play on the Boston accent: party is pronounced "pahty" sounding like "potty." I for one don't party in the potty. TA
    • secondlook
      I found a couple of links through a cursory search:   https://www.hrc.org/blog/new-study-reveals-shocking-rates-of-attempted-suicide-among-trans-adolescen https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/142/4/e20174218   I haven't looked closely at these to see how high the quality of the research was.
  • Upcoming Events