• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Kathy's big adventure

KathyLauren

• Forum Moderator

Today, I remove my hormone patches in preparation for surgery.  Three weeks of menopause - Yippee!! ?

Yikes, this is really happening!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KathyLauren

• Jani

• Jackie C.

• Susan R

Wow. I have to confess that I admire your courage.

I am a little skittish - make that a lot skittish, terrified really - of surgery in general, let alone major reconstruction.

So it's with a gentle hug and a real sense of awe I wish you a smooth journey forward.

TA

• Forum Moderator

Good luck Kathy ! it's an amazing journey. I remember going without the E, and when it was finally OK to start E up again, that first dose post - op was heavenly 

Best

Cyndee 

• Forum Moderator

Thanks, @TammyAnne and @Cyndee!

Tammy, I have to admit that am more than a bit nervous.  I have never had any surgery, not even my tonsils out.  And this is pretty major.  Eek!  But, I am assured that I am in good hands.  Dr. Brassard is one of the most experienced GRS surgeons in the world. 

I will be having what is variously known as "vaginoplasty without cavity", "zero-depth vaginoplasty", or "vulvoplasty", so it is less invasive than the full-depth version.  And recovery should be faster, with no dilations to worry about.  I will have all the proper external bits, just no interior.  I am an asexual lesbian, so I really have no need for an interior.

I am also getting a trachea shave at the same time.  I am told that I could probably get away without that, but my adam's apple is a visible clue that I am trans, one that I could do without.  I don't care a lot about passing, but why give people more clues than I need to?

Regards,

Kathy

• Admin

The first Postie Dose is really special.  My surgeon did not stop the E completely* except for 24 hours before and 36 hours after surgery, but I did stop the anti-T for the two weeks and that really turned me grumpy and stressed for the time.  The countdown begins!! 

*Lowered to her post op recommended level.

• Forum Moderator

Its interesting to read of the various methods for reduction of E.  My doctor wanted 10 days but since I use patches I waited until my planned switch time and was off for only 8.  As for antigen, he told me I could take it up to the day of surgery unless I ran out earlier.  I ran out the day before!  A week after surgery I could go back on E.  I applied my full dose of patches and within a few hours I could feel it, but the next morning I was jittery and experienced a terrible uncomfortable feeling.  I took one of the patches off and soon was feeling better.  I waited until the second week to go back to full dose.   I suppose YRMV! 

• Forum Moderator
51 minutes ago, VickySGV said:

The first Postie Dose is really special. 

@VickySGV When Dr Marci hands you that little green pill, she has this certain gleam in her eye, because she knows :)

I had the most trouble with stopping anti androgen also, my kidneys took a while to adjust (a few months). Don't miss having to use spiro, not in the least....

C

• Admin
36 minutes ago, Cyndee said:

I had the most trouble with stopping anti androgen

I had to go back on it even before I got the "E" because mine was also for high blood pressure and the only other diuretic crashes my potassium levels. 

• Forum Moderator

I will be taking my AA until the day before surgery.  I switched from spiro to cypro a year ago, so my kidneys have already adjusted.

Regards,

Kathy

12 hours ago, VickySGV said:

I had to go back on it even before I got the "E" because mine was also for high blood pressure and the only other diuretic crashes my potassium levels. 

I have been experiencing that too.

So I was hoping for a more anti-androgen version, but got something else instead.

I don't get to practice medicine, so I work with the doctors.

TA

• Admin
1 hour ago, TammyAnne said:

I don't get to practice medicine, so I work with the doctors.

I'm not sure I know what you are saying there.  Before I was even on HRT I had been under treatment for high blood pressure and had been on a diuretic which had been taking my potassium levels down too low.  Spiro is a potassium sparing diuretic and I was put on it before I was put on other HRT meds.  It had taken my doctor two years to determine it was the best med for my High blood pressure.

• Forum Moderator
16 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

Today, I remove my hormone patches in preparation for surgery.  Three weeks of menopause - Yippee!! ?

Wow Kathy...That’s exactly the time everything would start to feel real...but how incredibly exciting this all must be.  Congrats on your upcoming surgery, btw.  Hopefully, you’ll be able to give us a few periodic updates on your recovery as well...if, of course, you're willing and able.  Its so educational to get additional feedback from others due to all the differences in health, age, types of bottom surgery, and doctors techniques, etc...

My Best,

Susan R?

9 hours ago, VickySGV said:

I'm not sure I know what you are saying there.  Before I was even on HRT I had been under treatment for high blood pressure and had been on a diuretic which had been taking my potassium levels down too low.  Spiro is a potassium sparing diuretic and I was put on it before I was put on other HRT meds.  It had taken my doctor two years to determine it was the best med for my High blood pressure.

Sorry, I was trying for humor but obviously missed.

I was hoping for Spiro, but my primary care physician picked something else that spares the potassium. They've been fussing with my blood pressure meds for 8 years now.

Kathy, I appreciate the explanation of your surgery, as it makes great sense. Aside from possibly an Orchidectomy it's something I would consider as well.

TA

• Forum Moderator

I had my phone consultation with Dr. Brassard today.  Nothing exciting to report.

I have been looking for emotional changes from coming off E last week.  Mostly, my emotions feel "flat".  It's like my emotion module got unplugged.  Kind of like it was for the first 61 years of my life.  Well, almost: see below.

I did feel sad to learn that a member here who had offered to come to Montreal to meet me won't be able to make it.  I had been looking forward to the company, since I will be travelling on my own.

• Forum Moderator
On 2/19/2020 at 8:38 AM, KathyLauren said:

Good luck with the menopause thing. That was brutal. I've sweat through... nouns. Sheets. Mattress. Clothing. Floorboards. You name it. It's finally starting to get back under control after about two weeks back on my Femme & M's.

It's an adventure! Enjoy the ride! Not the physical ride, you'll hate that, but the metaphorical ride!

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

In two and a half days from now, I will be on my way to the bus to go to the airport.  I'm pretty sure I have everything I need.  Just have to pack it all.  I have one carry-on and an extra-large purse.  I printed out all my airline stuff and bus stuff and hospital stuff.  I have some magazines to read, and I'll take my iPad with me. 

Logistically, I think I'm ready.  Emotionally, I'm way past ready.  But, still, EEEEKK!

Kathy

• Forum Moderator

You'll be fine. You're prepared. You know what to expect. You've got this!

Prepare for adventure! Adventure!

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Safe travels Kathy, and see you on the other side :)

Hugs

C

• Forum Moderator

@KathyLauren, My best to you, your spouse and the your surgical team.  What a great adventure you’re about to experience!  I know it’s scary...I feel this too and I’m not even having mine this year.  We’ll be thinking about you and sending prayers your way.

*Hugs*
Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

I tried calling the airline to book a wheelchair for the return trip.  Yesterday, their "voicemail hell" announcement said that they weren't taking calls and that they weren't even putting people on hold.  They didn't quite say to go away and stop bothering us, but it was implied.  Today, I actually got into voicemail hell and got put on hold.  An hour later, I was still on hold and had listened to their muzak track about 35 times, with no suggestion that a human was ever going to pick up the phone.  I tried emailing them yesterday, but if they aren't answering the phone, they probably aren't planning to answer their email either.

I'll have most of Sunday to kill at the airport hotel, due to slightly inconvenient bus and flight schedules, so I figure my best bet is to talk to someone at the airport.  At least I should be able to find an actual airline employee there.  I hope.

#$%^&!!

Kathy

• Forum Moderator

I could walk (admittedly a bit slowly) when they turned me loose from the hospital. I was up to walking between train terminals (again, maybe a little on the slow side) once they'd removed my packing and we set back for home a week later. Now I don't know your physical condition, but you're probably OK unless you need to move a long distance between terminals and you have to do it in a hurry.

Also, sitting on the surgical site REALLY sucks for the first four weeks or so. My undercarriage is still pretty tender.

No need to stress. This is fine. Everything is fine.

Best of luck sweetie!

Hugs!

I absolutely loved reading Jackie's step by step process and although I don't expect everyone to do the same I think it does help others prepare as well.

I can see this in my future and I want to learn and know as much as possible.

Good Luck to you and please keep us posted.  You got this!

Best of Luck @KathyLauren on your adventure and fast healing. I will be thinking of you and following you.

Lots of Love

Big Canadian Hug

JoniSteph