• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Tips on going to the men's room...

A. Dillon

This is kind of weird, but I am embarrassed to ask anyone I know, so what is the general etiquette of the men's room? I always feel so weird when I have to go to stall to pee, like everyone is judging me and instantly clocked me. Is that normal? I never go into a bathroom if there is more than one person, is that seen as rude? Are you supposed to say anything to people that you recognize, because I never do but girls would do it to me all of the time before. I just don't really know in general. I really wish that I could stp, but I don't have that ability right now and won't for a long time, do guys judge you for that? In general, I would like a rundown.

• Forum Moderator

There is no reason to feel self-conscious about using a stall.  Guys do it all the time.  I sat to pee for years, even though I had the hardware to stand, and nobody ever commented.

Guys don't talk in the men's room.  Except when they do, but mostly they don't.  If you see someone you recognize, nodding and saying hi is okay.  Don't initiate a big conversation.  On the other hand, if it's someone you are working with, and they want to discuss a big project you are working on together, that would be considered acceptable.  But I'd let them initiate it, not you, and I'd only talk at the sink, not from inside the stall.

• Admin

Walk in like you own the place and go into a stall and do your thing.  What @KathyLauren says up there is the best I can say as well. 

I was nervous using the women's RR at first as well.  I do get a real laugh at places I go where the RR's are designated as gender neutral for special LGBT events where Cis people after looking around for a minute to see if people are watching "explore" the RR that is usually designated for the opposite gender.  After a good chuckle in those circumstances, your own fears pretty much subside.

• Admin

I agree with what my friends have already said.  Get the job done, keep to yourself, wash up and head out.  Bing, boom, bam.  Confidence is the key.  Like @VickySGV said, act like you own the place.  Good luck!

Carolyn Marie

I'll chime in as one who always used stalls because I prefer sitting.  No guy will comment on it, because men generally won't initiate a conversation in the lavoratory.  The exceptions tend to be fathers with their sons or bosses with their subordinates.  The latter might be a dominance thing (you're beneath me, so I can talk to you wherever I please).

• Forum Moderator
7 hours ago, A. Dillon said:

This is kind of weird, but I am embarrassed to ask anyone I know, so what is the general etiquette of the men's room? I always feel so weird when I have to go to stall to pee, like everyone is judging me and instantly clocked me. Is that normal? I never go into a bathroom if there is more than one person, is that seen as rude? Are you supposed to say anything to people that you recognize, because I never do but girls would do it to me all of the time before. I just don't really know in general. I really wish that I could stp, but I don't have that ability right now and won't for a long time, do guys judge you for that? In general, I would like a rundown.

Nobody in the men's room wants to know your business. General etiquette is avoiding eye contact, not speaking to each other and absolutely not looking at each other's junk to avoid catching "the gay."

Urinal etiquette is a whole different game, but you're avoiding that in the stalls. Basically you need to keep as much distance as possible between yourself and every other male in the restroom.

Seriously though, none of that is a joke. Talking to another guy in the restroom in anything but the most dire circumstances will apparently cause the end of Western civilization. You say, "Hi," to another guy you kinda know and tomorrow we're all waking up to Mad Maxx. Please don't make me fight in the pits for my water. I'd make a terrible slave.

Hugs!

37 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

Talking to another guy in the restroom in anything but the most dire circumstances will apparently cause the end of Western civilization.

Except in the case of just about every boss I ever had. For some reason they always seemed to see a bathroom visit as a chance for an impromptu meeting. Y'know boss, I'd really rather not talk about second quarter goals while I'm emptying my bladder and/or bowels, thanks.

But yeah, otherwise talking or even acknowledging the presence of another human is pretty much verboten in the men's room.

• Forum Moderator
42 minutes ago, secondlook said:

Except in the case of just about every boss I ever had. For some reason they always seemed to see a bathroom visit as a chance for an impromptu meeting. Y'know boss, I'd really rather not talk about second quarter goals while I'm emptying my bladder and/or bowels, thanks.

You know, except when I was on 3rd shift, I never worked anywhere that had bathrooms big enough for that. There was one stall, one urinal or just one toilet, one door. And in one of those circumstances, my immediate supervisor camped out in the stall to avoid work from about an hour after arriving to about thirty minutes before it was time to quit.

Still though, men do not acknowledge each other in the restroom. Grunt and a nod at best.

You're going to have to work on your grunting. Two guys who know each other can have an entire conversation without uttering a single word. Just grunts, burps and maybe a fart for punctuation. It is horrifying in its simplicity.

Hugs!

Ok so I didn't read everyone else's comments so this may be redundant: if you're waiting for a stall everyone will assume you need to poo (except in their heads it will be a different word most likely). Also, you need to be prepared to clean the toilet seat. There is a 95% chance it has urine on it either wet or dry. And don't talk to people who are in there unless you want to make the other men uncomfortable.

Hope this helps!

Belle ❤

38 minutes ago, Belle said:

Ok so I didn't read everyone else's comments so this may be redundant: if you're waiting for a stall everyone will assume you need to poo (except in their heads it will be a different word most likely). Also, you need to be prepared to clean the toilet seat. There is a 95% chance it has urine on it either wet or dry. And don't talk to people who are in there unless you want to make the other men uncomfortable.

Hope this helps!

Belle ❤

Yep clearly your right. 
You didn’t read the others post.  But good tip on cleaning the seat.  Lol

37 minutes ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

Yep clearly your right. 
You didn’t read the others post.  But good tip on cleaning the seat.  Lol

Sorry about that. I'm feeling extremely ADHD at the moment and reading is like climbing a mountain after taking tranquilizers.

34 minutes ago, Belle said:

Sorry about that. I'm feeling extremely ADHD at the moment and reading is like climbing a mountain after taking tranquilizers.

Ok. I will give you a pass.  Love ya anyways. 

• Forum Moderator

Oh my, I'd almost forgotten about that. Dillon, there is an approximate 50% chance that any time you open a stall in a men's room the toilet will have been clogged by some sort of Sasquatch-like creature and/or the floor and toilet seat will be covered in urine. Sometimes someone will try and "flush" an entire roll of toilet paper as a roll if the option is available. They will always urinate and/or defecate on the roll before they attempt the "impossible flush."

While that's not etiquette related, it is something that you (and your stomach) need to be prepared for. In a typical set of four stalls, one of the above scenarios has always occurred in one or more stalls. Usually the handicapped stall for whatever reason.

So yeah, cis-men are disgusting. I wish you luck and intestinal fortitude young man. Be strong.

Hugs!

Yeah, I have been so far in bathrooms where there are only two stalls, one has a guy watching a comedy show on his phone while grunting loudly and the other was filled with so much sh*t and p*ss that I would not want to flush it out of fear of my feet being covered in it. 

However, I have to say that it is still an improvement to going to the girl's room, I am not hiding anymore. Now I am just disgusted.

As others have said, conversation in the men's restroom is almost nonexistent.

Watch other guys give the very subtle head nod as they pass in the hall, etc. Then practice doing that. It is very subtle sometimes, but once you see it and practice it, you'll catch on.

I won't comment on the disgusting conditions in the men's stalls. Except to say expect the worst. Whatever you imagine, it can get worse.

TA

1 hour ago, Jackie C. said:

...there is an approximate 50% chance that any time you open a stall in a men's room the toilet will have been clogged by some sort of Sasquatch-like creature and/or the floor and toilet seat will be covered in urine...

Yeah, although cis-men generally don't do it, the hover-squat seems like it would be so much more useful in the mens' room.  The Mall of America has improved, but I still think they have some of the vilest, filthiest restrooms.  Your shoes will stick to the floor like somebody spilled lemonade and let it dry instead of wiping it up... (shudder)  I know it's not the fault of custodial services - that place just has too much traffic to keep up with.  But still... (shudder)

• Forum Moderator
39 minutes ago, MetaLicious said:

Yeah, although cis-men generally don't do it, the hover-squat seems like it would be so much more useful in the mens' room.  The Mall of America has improved, but I still think they have some of the vilest, filthiest restrooms.  Your shoes will stick to the floor like somebody spilled lemonade and let it dry instead of wiping it up... (shudder)  I know it's not the fault of custodial services - that place just has too much traffic to keep up with.  But still... (shudder)

Worst one I ever dealt with was the last GenCon they held in Milwaukee. Start with the venue. They're at about 150% capacity, it was the last year because of overcrowding. However, because it's tabletop RPG gamers, the crowd skews about 90-95% male. Add to that the schedule. The con runs Thursday to Sunday, but housekeeping doesn't work on the weekends.

By Saturday night all the men's room floors I checked had standing... let's call it water in them. By Sunday, I'm pretty sure I saw lilly-pads and heard frogs chirping. There was still standing water but now there were... things... floating in it. Terrible. Terrible things.

For the record, the ladies room is usually better. However, when the girl's room is bad it's really, really bad. The men's room is disgusting, but it's usually at the same level of disgusting no matter what. The ladies goes from "This is nice" to "Soul crushing horror" without a lot in between.

Hugs!

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2020 at 9:07 AM, KathyLauren said:

There is no reason to feel self-conscious about using a stall.  Guys do it all the time.  I sat to pee for years, even though I had the hardware to stand, and nobody ever commented.

Guys don't talk in the men's room.  Except when they do, but mostly they don't.  If you see someone you recognize, nodding and saying hi is okay.  Don't initiate a big conversation.  On the other hand, if it's someone you are working with, and they want to discuss a big project you are working on together, that would be considered acceptable.  But I'd let them initiate it, not you, and I'd only talk at the sink, not from inside the stall.

Oh phew! I got really scared! I don’t know men’s room etiquette and it freaks me out anytime I go in one and there are other people there, so badly that I turn around and wait because I feel like I’m too feminine, but that’s good to know! Hopefully my parents will let me start puberty blockers so I get no more chest growth (and maybe start birth control to stop periods), so, that’s great to know! Thank you! 

8 hours ago, Damien Mcknight said:

Hopefully my parents will let me start puberty blockers so I get no more chest growth (and maybe start birth control to stop periods), so, that’s great to know! Thank you! 

Really, because from what I know about birth control it can actually make your breasts larger. Practically every birth control method uses estrogen, and takes up to a year of continuous use to stop periods.

8 hours ago, A. Dillon said:

Really, because from what I know about birth control it can actually make your breasts larger. Practically every birth control method uses estrogen, and takes up to a year of continuous use to stop periods.

So my mom is a lying b**** like always, okay. Thanks for the knowledge!

Hormone blockers/testosterone is really the only way, or you could just be in constant stress like me. You have to be patient, these things take time. It is possible that she wasn't trying to lie to you, many parents suggest the same thing while being unaware of the hormones in birth control. I usually just try to wish the testosterone to appear, maybe if I just flex enough it will be beckoned into my systems.

34 minutes ago, A. Dillon said:

maybe if I just flex enough it will be beckoned into my systems.

That’s honestly a mood, aka me all the time lol