• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Mary Jane

I have a question

Mary Jane

I put this in suicide prevention because I’m kind of thinking of doing it again so my question is: is there a way I can be less sad/hurt the way I’m doing now is playing video games or watching something interesting like shows I like to watch but both are temporary, so what’s a more better solution for me to be less sad/hurt. Seriously soon all of this hurt or sadness will just be so much that I can kill my self

Carolyn Marie

Mark, what are the main reasons you feel sad and hurt?  Once you ID those things, you can start figuring out how to change those things, because unless and until you change what's causing the feelings, you can't permanently fix them.  The other things you mentioned are band aids, and band aids are not meant to be permanent fixes.

Please talk to our counselors in Chat, or talk with your therapist if you have one, or talk with someone you trust IRL.  I wish you all the best.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Mary Jane

Well the main things causing the it I guess is not having a good enough relationship with anyone even in any of my family members I guess one way to fix it is change how my family is or find ways to get great friends 

Jackie C.

Have you got a club through school, libraries... whatever it is that Canadians have where they meet people? I get that it's hard, I'm an introvert too, but I've made a bunch of new friends simply by introducing myself to a a bunch of like-minded people and saying, "Hey, I'm Robyn. Can I play too?"

I'm also a cute little shark on game night. I love it when guys introduce me to a new game and assume I don't know how strategy works.

Unfortunately, relationships take work to fix. It's happy work, but if only one person is putting in the effort, it's bound to fail. I don't know your family, so I can't say how open they are to changing how they treat you. I'd work on friends. Making friends is a skill that will take you a long way in life in any case. It's worth practicing.

In the meantime, we're always here for you if you need to vent sweetie.

Hugs!

Mary Jane

Well I know there might be clubs here at my city I don’t know any but I’ve google searched for some before but even if I could I’m pretty sure I can’t  join them because well I’m kind of I guess afraid of my mom and dad because they’re kind of random and I even already tried... well kind of a few months ago around the start of September I typed something and once I gave them it they had questions and by the end of it I thought things would change in my family but so far they haven’t. I don’t know the reason of why I’m scared

also thank you I’m probably going to vent a lot

Jackie C.

Parents can be scary. You basically need their support until you're old enough to go out on your own. They, however, aren't required to give it. The idea that you might lose that support can be terrifying. Especially if your parents behave erratically.

I was raised by ocelots. I completely get random parents. Kids should get stability, not whatever that was. 

Still, friends. Your found family can be a source of great strength when you need it. Especially if your blood family isn't living up to expectations. 

Hugs!

Mary Jane

Yea true and I believe someday whether it's online or real life I'll have great friends

Jackie C.

You absolutely will. It's easier if you go find them instead of expecting them to come to you. They're out there.

Hugs!

Charlize

Like you i felt isolated with a family who didn't understand and couldn't accept me.  I had become an addict.   I started to drink first thing and would pass out during the day only to start again.  When i found a group of other alcoholics they became a new family of choice.  I was "loved until i could love myself".   As a benefit i was able to get closer to my family than i have ever been. 

Getting out, meeting others and staying away from isolation helps immensely.

Hugs,

Charlize

michelle_kitten
17 hours ago, Markjvp said:

I put this in suicide prevention because I’m kind of thinking of doing it again so my question is: is there a way I can be less sad/hurt the way I’m doing now is playing video games or watching something interesting like shows I like to watch but both are temporary, so what’s a more better solution for me to be less sad/hurt. Seriously soon all of this hurt or sadness will just be so much that I can kill my self

I know that hole your in oh  so well.  It may seem like things will never get better.  I've been there so many times.  It sucks.

A lot of good advice has been given before me, but I am going to add to it.  What made a difference in my life is an attitude of gratitude.  I know that might seem silly where you're at, but please, read what I have to say.\

I grew up the child of a mother with narcissistic personality disorder.  She constantly played people against each other, and often treated me as defective.  She bad-mouthed my dad to me behind his back (not without cause), in order to feed her sense of superior self-worth.  She could sit in a busy shopping mall and name other people's character flaws as they walked by, and was probably correct.  It is fun being on the inside, but when that kind of mind is turned against  you, it can be a personal hell.  I hated parent teacher conferences.  I would start every school year optimistic and dedicated, until the first time my parents met with my teachers and told them what a screw up I was.  After that, I was treated very differently by my teachers.  She'd do it with my friends, drawing them into conversations, where she'd tell them all my flaws and every embarrassing thing I'd done since age 4.  Nothing was good enough, and my self-esteem got battered to nothing over the years.  I was ill prepared for life when she threw me out of the  house at age 18.

My father was little better.  He was abusive.  He's in prison right now for abusing a child he adopted after I was grown.  I can't tell you the times he came at me with his fists.  I remember clearly a hot summer day when we were working in the yard, and the heat was getting to me.  He picked up fist sized rocks and was throwing them at me, hard.  Fortunately, he didn't hit me, though nearly.

When I finally married in my 30's, after years of trying to get my head together, I married a woman with borderline personality disorder.  Feelings were her reality, even if they were based on nothing.  She would gas light me.  She was never affectionate with our children, and often turned on them as well.  She sabotaged us financially, and kept us living paycheck to paycheck.  I lived in a world where everything I did was wrong.  She'd ask my opinion only to be told her opinion on a  matter was the right one, and she'd go ahead and do whatever she wanted anyway.  When I finally confronted her with the abuse, she said, "Yeah, I abused you, but..." and went on to justify it with everything I ever did wrong as an excuse.  To this day, there is no contrition on her part, and was ultimately why I filed for divorce.

All of this time I suffered with Major Depressive Disorder.  I learned to keep it together.  My parent punished weakness, and I was married to a person who made suicide attempts 5 times while we were married, and once since.  Some one had to keep it together for the kids.  I can smile and go to work and pretend nothing is wrong and be absolutely dying inside.  The more I do that, the more mentally impaired I become.  I become clumsy, distracted, and unable to process.  I lose my short-term memory.  Life just gets stressful.

I finally broke about three years ago and ended up in the hospital.  What I felt was the absolute end of my life was actually the beginning.  I stopped being focused on all the bad things that happened and all the regrets I have (and there are many), I started focusing on what I do have.

After my break I spent 3 months in a homeless shelter and another 9 months in transitional housing.

Three years later, I have a job I never expected to get at a wage I never expected to earn starting out in the industry I am in now.  I am getting ready to see what else is out there for me.  I have a roof over my head.  It isn't perfect, but it is sufficient.  I have clothing.  Like most girls I'd like a lot more, but I have clothes to wear.  I have food to eat.  Maybe too much food.  I have a few friends.  I have finally come to terms with my gender dysphoria and am in transition.  It is far from perfect, but I have a lot of good things, and despite the 50 or so years of misery I am happy.

So, I go to bed every night being thankful.  When people ask me how I am, I say I am blessed.  It keeps me focused on what I have, and not what I don't have, or what I missed out on.  It puts the regrets and the painful past behind me and it dims the memory of the traumatic events and painful days and hours of where I've been.  It has become hard for me to believe I was the depressed mess I once was.

For me medication and an attitude of gratitude has been amazing.  Will there be an end to the pain before you reach your limit to manage it?  I think there will be.  I don't know the specifics of your situation, but I do know you can, one little step at a time, dig yourself out of the hole you're in.  You'd be surprised how focusing on the good will cheer you up a bit, which will change how you interact with people and how they interact with you.  You will find energy to get up from the computer and interact more with the world.  It may take time, but it will get better and better.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Mary Jane

thank you to all of you and @michelle_kitten I've heard of focusing on the good things before in fact I'm always trying but life keeps finding a way to bring me down to make me think more of the negative but thanks to you i can focus on the good things again, well a pretty balanced mix of good and negative. And will do on keeping you and the other people that use the site posted on how I'm doing