• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Mary Jane

Any name ideas?

Mary Jane

I’m thinking of being Mary Jane (as in my first name will be Mary Jane) because I like my nick name (MJ) but I’ve never really liked my current name but Im ok with people like future teachers, employer, basically anyone that’s not a friend call me my current name well for now which is mark John. If you can try to think of a name where MJ still fits

Jani

Do you need a new name?  Will you be changing it at some point?  MJ sounds good for a GF person.  

Mary Jane

I don’t know if I’ll change my name soon but it’s good to think of a name now just in case I do

Mary Jane

I think a gender neutral name is best right now for me

Jani

Your profile says Genderfluid so I question whether choosing a feminine name would be in your best interest?   A neutral name would certainly be a good choice.  You can query "gender neutral names" to come up with lots of them. 

Mary Jane

Ok and I’m not 100% sure about my gender yet but a feminine name is ok for me

Jani

When one is unsure the best position to take is where you currently stand (until you are unsure).  

Mary Jane

Are you basically saying go with Mary Jane? 

Firenze

Go with whatever name you feel comfortable with, whether that be feminine or neutral. However, if you say you're genderfluid, you may want to consider a neutral name that'll work for both male and female, instead of switching back and forth, or using multiple names. 

I'll suggest both feminine and neutral names, if you're looking.

Neutral:

Maurice

Marley

Morgan

Mack

Mallory

Marion (If you like Mary)

Jay

Jamie

Jude

Jordan

James

Feminine:

Maggie

Maeve

Meredith

Michelle

Mandy

Molly

Jade

Jasmine

Justine

Justice

June

Donnie_1961

Donnie is considered unisex in Europe. Which is fine by me because I didn't wanna change it anyway.

I've been using it for 58 years. I sign all my art work "Donnie". It's my trademark. Little "D". Big "O". "nnie." 

1996546954_FB_IMG_15151150939041.thumb.jpg.5926f13f3e661afd10f3428d156d6689.jpg/

MJ? Mary Jane Watson. That was Peter Parker"s (Spider-Man's) girl friend. I'm a big Marvel Comic's Fan.

Years ago when I stayed at a homeless shelter folks started calling me "BLONDIE" because of my blonde hair. I got used answering to it.

Names are sometimes difficult to come up with because they are intended to be the handle we are forced to use for the rest of our lives. Expectant parents often mull over many names before finally selecting one to use. They draw on relatives names. A son is named after the father. A daughter might carry their grandma's first name. 

In today's world everything is subject to change on a whim.

As for your picking a new name? If you are indeed gender fluid, as you say, then I would select a uni-sex name because it can work both ways.

Donnie_1961

Please don't use Donnie. That would be too confusing.  

I'd be like. "Hey....You talking to me?" 

Mary Jane

How about (using @J.Ryan‘s ideas) Mallory or Mallory Jordan or Mallory James as my name? If I’m going with MJ still, for me Mallory James or Mary Jane is a good match. and Mallory James for me is a good match because Mallory sounds like a female Name but James makes it balanced out because that sounds like a male name at least to me it’s like that for Mallory James 

Firenze

At the end of the day, it's your decision. Use whatever name you feel the most comfortable with. If you like the sound of Mallory James, try it out for a while and see how you like it. 

Mary Jane

Ok and i don’t really need to try it for a while because maybe no one can 100% be sure of how something will be for them but on most things I can know for me and I just thought of my name as Mallory James and people calling me that I like it but I still like Mary Jane too not because of Spider-Man, I just like the sound of it. also I don’t really know why I’m attached to MJ but I know I’ve always liked it

Alex C

Hey MJ Dylan has some great ideas beside if you use MJ people will think you where name after Michael Jordon or Michael Jackson since they are mostly associated with those intials...you can always keep yr firs name ( Mark) and make it your last name..Joy Mark example...good luck 

Mary Jane

Ok. And I've actually heard a teacher say that to me I dont remember how she reacted but when I said you can also call me MJ how I remember it is like "your so lucky to have the same nickname as Michel Jordan" it's not the exact way it went but I think it's close and I think I'll keep it as Mary Jane for now but everyone on the site can still call me mark because I don't mind being called mark when people originally don't know the other part of my first name

Alex C

Well Mary what you decided you make it word. Be proud, Be safe and Kick Ass

Mary Jane

thank you! 

ShawnaLeigh

The one thing about a name is it has to speak to your and what you are in your heart.

Getting suggestions is fine as not everyone can figure this out on their own at first but in the end it has to be comfortable and to be YOU to you.

There is no rules either so change it around and try it out for a bit.  Until you do anything legal its just a name you like or not and can be changed.

Even then you could always change it but that will cost money at that point.

Jackie C.

Money and time. There's a court date involved plus a pile of paperwork (depending on state laws naturally).

However, until you're ready to make it official, try on things you might like until you settle on something that fits. Jackie was my first choice and I love her to death, but she's not QUITE right. Jackie's more like my older, edgier sister. When I changed it officially, I made it Robyn Jacqueline. Robyn fits better and Jackie gets to stay close.

Hugs!

Mary Jane

Ok thank you and I’m going to keep on thinking for a name and keep searching for one but for now I can be called mark or Mary jane and Mary Jane can be shortened to Mary,

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 95 Guests (See full list)

• BrandiBri
    • VickySGV
    • KymmieL
    • Jocelyn
    • Emily michelle
    • Willa
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Daniel_the_little
    Newest Member
    Daniel_the_little

No users celebrating today
    • ThrowAwayName
      I meant trans as in transgender.
    • Emily michelle
      I’m sorry to hear that I hope they will let you go to an outside consultant. I could only imagine how antsy your getting i would be well past that.  I looked at planned parenthood but they have pretty much outlawed them in the state of Missouri. So I’m stuck calling around to find a endocrinologist that’s taking patients. Then hopefully they take insurance. Problem is there I have my insurance with the union I’m in and I really don’t want to out myself to them because most likely I will be outed to my employer.
    • ThrowAwayName
      Well I made a first step and told my therapist.  I've never told a person I actually know before.  She's just a general therapist, but it's a start.
    • TammyAnne
      I'm going through the VA. The Endocrinologist retired, so paperwork had to be submitted to get me to an outside consultant. Then the Covid 19 thing hit, and I'm going to try not to go nuts waiting. I understand that Planned Parenthood is still open a few days a week, so I'm going to ask for a possible referral there to get the ball rolling. Until then, I'm still waiting. But starting to feel very antsy. TA
    • Susan R
      Love this answer. Best reply of the day...so on point!  Thanks Jackie!   @Wes..its always ok to vent here...we love reading about your good times and bad....we don’t discriminate.   Susan R🌷
    • Susan R
      Sometimes humor is the best way to deal with frustration.  I have no articles specifically dealing with this issue but only my humble advice.  I would be sitting her down and seriously make the effort to reason with her.  Make an event of it away from kids, TV, music, etc..so she knows this is a big deal and something needs to change.  I think it would be important to keep all other issues out of the conversation and in a nice way explain to her why and how much this means to you.  You might ask her what you need to do to help make this happen...don’t expect a quick response.  Let her know how much this hurts when she calls you you’re birth name when you’re presenting as Shawna.  If that doesn’t work, there’s likely not going to be any resolution any time soon.  Communicating your needs in a polite, logical and calm manner usually works with reasonable individuals who are not vindictive or petty.  Let’s hope your wife is neither.   Susan R🌷
    • Emily michelle
      I’m glad you were able to come out to your wife and that she is supportive. That’s a huge weight of off your shoulders. When o came out to my wife she acted like things make sense now. I was the one who was an absolute wreck I cried for several days when I broke down, and so far she is my biggest ally. On the other hand when I told my sister she flat looked at me and said are you serious and that’s when I lost it again. She has come around a little bit but I still don’t think she understands.
    • Susan R
      @ShawnaLeigh This guy understood you meant business and he is in the past now.  Part of me feels proud of you for sticking up for yourself.  That being said..this stuff happens everyday and you don’t want to put yourself in that situation again ever.  Most of these online idiots are cowards and won’t actually go any further.  Realistically though, this might not be the case if it happens again.  You never want to have to do to ANYONE what you ‘inferred’ you’d do to him...no matter how justified you are.  It would immediately change your life in many detrimental ways for the foreseeable future.   My 2¢, Susan R🌷
    • Emily michelle
      Oh wow that’s a long wait since November I don’t think I would be able to hold it together that long. Is the endo just that busy or what was the hold up? If you don’t mind me asking 
    • TammyAnne
      Venting is good for you, Wes. We all do it. It beats standing on the street corner screaming at the cars! (Unless you just like being arrested!) TA
    • Jackie C.
      I'm sorry you had such a lousy, rotten, no good day @ShawnaLeigh!   Susan and I do what we can but... I'm helpless at household repair stuff. I can troubleshoot electronics and that's about it. She's actually more capable in a lot of areas than I am. I mostly just know who to call for help.   I'm not going to last long when civilization finally cracks, am I?   Hugs!
    • TammyAnne
      That's where I'm at (waiting) too courtesy of the plague. I'm told all my papers are in a file waiting to go forward to the endo. But I'm going to beg to get it pushed forward ASAP at my next appointment since this was supposed to start back in November. TA
    • TammyAnne
      Due to medical things being on hold for a while, I will not get to start HRT until I'm 70. Is it too late? Too late for what? I wish I could have started fifty years ago, but the times were quite different and this was unthinkable course of action at that time. I will never look like a nineteen year old college girl, I know that, but I can be me to the best of my ability. It is better to plow forward even if it's late than to finish my life in regret. TA
    • Susan R
      Wise words from a wise woman.  Yes, this is the case in our household too.  Apparently, I forgot to negotiate this change in household roles when coming out....too late now.  Sure, it’d be nice for my wife to do more of my traditional male duties around the house but I realize it’s not practical at our ages. I do those things easier, faster and usually do them correctly the first time...lol   I feel for you...especially these day with no salon to fix you up in a snap.  We’ve all been there...keep your head up, hon! My Best, Susan R🌷    
    • Susan R
      Welcome KM, what an incredible story of coming to terms with yourself and sharing it with your wife. You did the right thing for your mental well-being.  There comes a time when you can’t just pack it away any longer.  The freedom you describe is so memorable to me.  It’s like a 200lb weight had been lifted off you.  I know your still feeling some of that relief 5 days after the fact.   What you say above is THE recipe to navigate through this successfully. I did this same thing with my wife and it has brought us closer together than ever before.  Like you, I gave my wife the keys and trusted she would open a door whenever I needed more.  It’s been over a year and all the doors are unlocked and life is good.   What an inspiration this is. I’m very happy for you and your wife.  Please keep us updated as to your progress.  It’s still very early but I’m confident you’re going to experience a positive outcome. I was so impressed I had to share your story with my wife.  I said to her, “Doesn’t this sound familiar? She read it and smiled!   Best of luck to the both of you on your new path. Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
  • Upcoming Events