• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Bill to add "X" gender marker on U.S.A. passports

Dearhart

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/02/24/passports-gender-netural-x-marker/?outputType=amp

So, while unlikely to pass the Senate and POTUS, this seems like a nice step in the right direction. I have personally wondered how my state's driver's license law permitting an X marker without documentation would work/clash with current passport and the Real ID Act. 

• Admin

Yeah, I'm not holding out much hope for passage, either.  But you never know.  Thanks for posting, hon.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

The international agreements that govern passports allow the X, but they do require some kind of gender marker. 

Canada also allows an X on passports, but they do warn that this is considered unsafe in some countries, and that travellers should be cautious about going to those places.

15 hours ago, Suzanne1 said:

Do we think that entering into a possibly hostile country with passport that identifies the bearer's gender with an "X" as being a safe thing?

That's one of the government's reasons for not putting an X marker on passports, but mostly "it'll cost too much to implement those changes" which is demonstrably incorrect. But personally, I would assume that's just one of the many considerations the individual should make when planning international travel. Some places are hostile, others (like Saudi Arabia) reportedly refuse entry to anyone with an X marker on their passport. So, that's kinda convenient, I guess? Incidentally, I've done some investigating since reading and posting this, and it seems that if your state's drivers license permits an X marker, then your Real ID will, too. 

But I know that there are some people with a severe enough level of dysphoria or emotional triggers that having a gender marker on an ID that's different from how they identify/present will cause distress or out them as trans. So, as it stands, it's probably just a trade-off that the individual will have to make for themselves.