• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Dearhart

Bill to add "X" gender marker on U.S.A. passports

Dearhart

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/02/24/passports-gender-netural-x-marker/?outputType=amp

So, while unlikely to pass the Senate and POTUS, this seems like a nice step in the right direction. I have personally wondered how my state's driver's license law permitting an X marker without documentation would work/clash with current passport and the Real ID Act. 

Carolyn Marie

Yeah, I'm not holding out much hope for passage, either.  But you never know.  Thanks for posting, hon.

Carolyn Marie

Suzanne1

Very interesting.  I'm wondering about something though.  I'm guessing passports are for foreign travel, right?  [I've never had one.]  I'm thinking that lots of places in the world are considerably more hostile to the Tg-population than is the USA.  Do we think that entering into a possibly hostile country with passport that identifies the bearer's gender with an "X" as being a safe thing?

I'm thinking a better thing might to be to dispense with any gender-markers on the passport document.  [Would save ink, too! 🤕]

KathyLauren

The international agreements that govern passports allow the X, but they do require some kind of gender marker. 

Canada also allows an X on passports, but they do warn that this is considered unsafe in some countries, and that travellers should be cautious about going to those places.

Dearhart
15 hours ago, Suzanne1 said:

Do we think that entering into a possibly hostile country with passport that identifies the bearer's gender with an "X" as being a safe thing?

That's one of the government's reasons for not putting an X marker on passports, but mostly "it'll cost too much to implement those changes" which is demonstrably incorrect. But personally, I would assume that's just one of the many considerations the individual should make when planning international travel. Some places are hostile, others (like Saudi Arabia) reportedly refuse entry to anyone with an X marker on their passport. So, that's kinda convenient, I guess? Incidentally, I've done some investigating since reading and posting this, and it seems that if your state's drivers license permits an X marker, then your Real ID will, too. 

But I know that there are some people with a severe enough level of dysphoria or emotional triggers that having a gender marker on an ID that's different from how they identify/present will cause distress or out them as trans. So, as it stands, it's probably just a trade-off that the individual will have to make for themselves. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 72 Guests (See full list)

• Emily michelle
    • Petra Jane
    • Maid In Bedlam
    • Katharina
    • Alex C
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Daniel_the_little
    Newest Member
    Daniel_the_little

No users celebrating today
    • Maid In Bedlam
      Presenting favorable circumstances or showing signs of a favorable outcome;       My pronouns are Legend or Awesome. But in that strange world outside the internet people just use my name. The only time anyone uses Miss or sometimes Mrs is when its official. Bah to that. We are already of the same thinking patten   See already your comments have had favorable outcome   I rest my case 😉
    • Maid In Bedlam
      Before a, As you call it validation what is your own idea of being transgender is?     This may sound like a rather starange question. But peoples throughts on what they are actually defining themselves can be very diffrent.   An example of this would be.   transsexual;     This definition I dont actually agree with in parts but for the purposes of answeing your question is sufficent.   Trangender:       Almost the same you would think at first glance. But in reality Two very diffrent conditions.   You also use the word transvestite. Which again is a very diffrent and can be classed as  outdated  in some quarters.   Which would relate to if you;       As i will reiterate. Before an answer you have to understand the question.   Just saying could i be, is just the starting point.  Logic will dictate what you could or could not be  by a process of elimination.   Dont even get me started on Gender fluid, Gender queer, Non Binary. The list goes on.       Do you have a compelling feeling you was not assigned the right gender at birth or do you just get a feeling of sexual euphoria when dress in clothes of the oposite sex? And pardon the frankness of that questiion but if your just a transvestite then that would be a good indicator or starting point..   However if ihave made you think Now have i felt theres something wrong my whole life and I feel that i have been a, (And i hate to use this term) A Woman trapped in a mans body. Then i would say there is something deeper going on.   Remember a Man doesnt become a woman. A woman just makes herself more womanly. Ie, Transsexual.
    • Alex C
      Welcome Natasha to TP...this a safe place. keep post it helps
    • Alex C
      thanks Maddie..means a lot
    • Ms Maddie
      Agree that jeans work well for you  Alexi.  Sweater too.  Whichever you feel personally more confident with when it's time to go.  I think you got this. Good luck with the interview!
    • Wes
      Thanks so much Alex!
    • Alex C
      What's Up Wes...Great name. Be safe, BE Proud and KICK ASS
    • Alex C
      Hey Zeda glad yr living the dream..Much lv , be safe, Be Proud and KICK ASS
    • Alex C
      Hey KM. Congrat's on being proud and real to yourself. Your Wife will appreciate that your honest,,,be safe, Be Proud and KICK ASS
    • Alex C
      its a Kroger Supermarket , Ty Susan means a lot
    • Susan R
      @Alex C   Just be yourself and you’ll do just fine. I personally like the outfit on bottom but I can’t see what you’re wearing below the blue sweater but the color suits you. The skinny jeans look good but it sort of depends on the job you’re taking. These are casual looks but ok for some job interviews.  I wish you the very best and hope that you are successful in getting this position.   My Best, Susan R🌷
    • Wes
      Thanks everyone! I told my mom and she didn't have much of anything nice to say. My dad was pretty good about it though. I'm really loving these forums!! 💞😁
    • Susan R
      Hi Natasha, welcome to the forum. Your journey sounds very familiar to me and many others posting here as VIcky pointed out.  As you by now realize, these feelings don’t go away all by themself. Dealing with it head on works so much better than burying everything.  Eventually, the issues just show up unannounced at the worst possible time.  The cycle is the only thing predictable about it. We’re here to help in any way we can.  Until you can get in to see a therapist which likely won’t be right away, feel free to get plenty of very helpful advice here. You might even meet a few new friends along the way. Thank you for your candid introduction.   Warmest Regards, Susan R🌷
    • Alex C
      I have my 1st job interview 2mor as Alex the transgender. I am bit nervous I never not been alex the guy before. I not using a wig ,very natural make up, no dress or heels . I am going through some outfits and this is one a choice. would like some feed back. But I understand that I am not the most popular one on this site. To tell the truth I don't like chat rooms and this the only one I belong too. Heck, I don't even use facebook that much. But I would really appreciate some feed back here so I don't make a complete fool of myself.I am submit one with out a wig and one with just in case
    • Zeda
      Ouch Sometimes I... <__< >__> sometimes I wear boxers   (Don't laugh, they are surprisingly comfy when I'm at home! It confuses the heck out of my spouse though XD )
  • Upcoming Events