• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Mammary gland to be or not to be

drago

Hello, everyone!
Sorry if this is a question you've discussed before, but I couldn't find any information.
I'm a trans man and three weeks ago I underwent a mastectomy. I'm really happy with my result so far, even though the tissue is not completely recovered yet.
Yestеrday I mentioned to a friend of mine, who had his top surgery 2 years ago, that my surgeon decided to leave some mammary gland to look more natural and to prevent the chest from sinking. I'm young and slim, and my breasts were full of a mammary gland and no fat. My friend said that he insisted from his surgeon to take out the whole his mammary gland and so I had to do the same because this is the right way. He has a family history of breast cancer, so this is one of the main reasons to want to remove it. Fortunately, the mammography before the surgery showed nothing problematic to me. 
So my question is if it is something widespread to not leave any mammary gland in the breasts after surgery or it depends on what I want and what the surgeon can do?

I will be glad to hear any other opinions. ?

• Forum Moderator

While I'd consider it if I had the breast cancer gene, I don't really see the problem if you don't. Men get mammary glands as part of the standard package. Under the right circumstances, they can even lactate. If you're happy with the result, why go in for the revision?

Also welcome to Transpulse!

Hugs!

Hello and welcome to this forum, @drago !

Iam still figuring it out myself, but should I be FtM, then I would also like to know this. Though Jackie C. is indeed correct! Males also have mammary glands, so perhaps it is not needed to remove them, yet if you have a greater risk of getting breast cancer, then you might as well get all of that removed just in case.
If not, I wouldn't bother, personally.

Good luck!

Thank you for your answers! I agree with what you said, and I don't consider any revisions at all. I'm just curious what is the practice in other countries.

Have a great day!