• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Prometrium initiation

Kylie

My MD recently discussed with me starting Prometrium in addition to my estradiol cross-sex hormone treatment. I researched a good but over a period of a few weeks and decided limited evidence was out there so I would start, primarily because my Endocrinologist is part of the teaching/research hospital in my city. He said any benefits/adverse issues I experience could aid in research. So, nonetheless I have started, about 10 days ago.

Has anyone taken Prometrium? (Micronized Bioidentical Progesterone). What experiences did you have?

Noted that Prometrium differs from Synthetic Progesterone, as I learned.

:)

• Forum Moderator
40 minutes ago, Kylie said:

Has anyone taken Prometrium? (Micronized Bioidentical Progesterone). What experiences did you have?

I have been taking this exact prescription for 9 months. I had nearly immediate (a few days after starting) changes or effects and some much more delayed effects.  Many of these have been toned down as my body has adjusted to the medication. 

1) I was told to take it right before bed because it can make you drowsy.  This was true for the first 3 months but I have now adjusted to a point when I can’t count on it to put me right to sleep.

2) I’ve changed my eating habits 18 months ago and eat very healthy.  This originally helped me with late night food cravings but after 9 months of NO late night eating, I started craving food before bed a week into the Progesterone.  I curbed this by having an orange but it hasn’t.  When my dose was increased after 4 months, it came back with a fury but I managed it until my body adjusted to the new levels.

3) I have had odd cravings for the strangest things out of the blue.  My wife thought I was crazy when I decided to make Lots of Pickles and scrambled Eggs on Toast sandwich.  The craving have diminished to some extent but I still like some of the new menu items I came up with.

4) My moods do seem more cyclical than previous to taking Progesterone. Very much on a monthly type cycle.

5) My breasts have rounded out now and there have been slight changes to the size and color of my areola.  Also the circle protruding dots around my areola seem to have become more pronounced now.  On my Feb. 11th doctors appointment My breasts were examined because of some liquid from one nipple.  She said the changes were normal in this area but told me to contact her if any more fluid was released.  It has not happened since.

That pretty much rounds out my changes and effects with this med.  Everyone is different as you know so I can’t say you'll l have the same effects but will likely experience some of what I’ve mentioned.

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

I am not sure if Prometrium is a brand name or what.  I have taken Micronized Progesterone, though it wasn't called Prometrium.

I was on it for about six months, and then stopped on my own initiative.  I have some breast growth symptoms - tingling / itching - and a very small tiny amount of growth in the first month, with an improvement in breast tissue depth and overall shape.  Then nothing at all.  I did feel some androgenic symptoms.  In particular, the "mental static" that I lived with all my male life was back.  I stopped it because it felt like a step backwards, breast growth notwithstanding.

Interestingly, I had a breast growth spurt after coming off Progesterone, for a month or two.  Not a huge amount, but I might be up to a genuine A cup now.

I still have a couple of months' supply of my prescription left, and I might try cycling it two weeks on, two weeks off, after I am back on my feet after surgery.

Kathy

• Forum Moderator
38 minutes ago, KathyLauren said:

I still have a couple of months' supply of my prescription left, and I might try cycling it two weeks on, two weeks off, after I am back on my feet after surgery.

I have a trans girlfriend and her doctor prescribes her the same dose as I.  The only difference is that she must be on it for 3 weeks and off it for 1 week.  My doctor does not take that route but the off/on cycles may help out in ways I do not understand.  You might want to discuss this with your doctor.