• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do I need therapy?

There is a thing that came out a lot in the answers of my last post same in Youtube: Gender therapy.

A lot of people said that I needed therapy but the thing is that my parents don't know anything and I thought "ok then distant therapy" (apparently it exists) the thing is that I am minor so I need my parent's aproval and plus I feel like I have been questioning for a too short amount of time -I feel like I am going to fast- (even if deep down I always felt faaaar away from being a 'girl') 3 weeks, and I feel like I I still need to be more sure, and think more. But let's say my parents know and we still take therapy what will happen exactly? What should I expect? because I am flying in the middle of 'confusion land' right now ?. And in how is it THAT important?

potato-i-look-like-a-potato-people-like-

• Forum Moderator

Potatoes are also high in potassium.

So yeah, I was actually talking to my therapist about this... sorta... the other day. It is highly recommended that trans people indulge in therapy for a year or so before they take any medical action. The idea is that while being trans doesn't mean you have mental problems, there could be underlying issues. Also, it's nice to be able to talk to someone in a completely safe space about whatever is bothering you.

Now then, a gender therapist is a slightly different animal. They specialize in trans issues. So what you'd expect is they'd initiate a phone call or video chat session and you'd talk to them in a sort of guided conversation for about an hour per session. They're not wizards, so it might take more than one chat to get to the bottom of your issues.

Now, while you're talking, they'll help you figure out your issues and help you with your confusion. Over the course of your treatment, you'll get guidance and you and your therapist will find a way forward for you. You'll also address any underlying issues you might have. For example, I was suffering from depression.

Conversations will be in a completely safe space. Your therapist is bound to keep your information confidential. They won't judge. Your therapist has either heard of or done whatever you're dealing with. You won't shock them and you can be completely honest and open. I've always found it to be a very comforting experience. You can say anything. No judgement. Therapists are friendly, safe people. You'll be in good hands.

Hugs!

Thank's but isn't it too soon like I feel like I have all my life to think about it and than I also feel like this 'girl' person is gone far far away already..

3hfaln.jpg 

Well said @Jackie C.  and this is exactly what I was going to say.

That being said I realize for most young folks it is a huge mountain to get over to get your parents on board with something like this.  For whatever reason they may be having or feeling in the end I would think they love you and only want is best for you.  This sometimes takes a while for a parent to deal with the topic of having a transgender child,  It is very hard to understand if they know noting about being transgender other then what societies mind set is, or for some they never seem to understand no matter how much you try and educate them.  My mother included.

You know them better then we do however you have to find a way to talk it out with them and not be confrontational even if they are at first.  Keep trying and keep it calm and civil.  Maybe give it a day or two or even a week but keep trying.  Explain it is something you need to talk to someone who is trained to deal with it because you don't want to try and learn about this online with all the misinformation and that you are just trying to understand it all.  Say it may even be nothing, but you at least want to try and see with someone who is trained for it.  If you give them hope you are not going to change then they may be ok with at least seeing what a professional says.  Once you get a professionals opinion then it is way easier to proceed with them at least knowing you are not just making it up or trying to be trendy or whatever.  

Believe it or not there was a huge movement in the high schools around Vermont that like tons of kids were all of a sudden trans.  Like it was a cool thing or something.  Im sure it drove a lot of parents crazy.  Some may be, yes, but most were not.  

A parent who refuses to help there child in any way is a terrible thing and boarders on mental and emotional abuse IMHO.

Ok I've got to ask.

What is the potatoes thingy all about?  I'm pretty naïve so I may be missing it.  Sorry.

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Ethan da potato said:

Thank's but isn't it too soon like I feel like I have all my life to think about it and than I also feel like this 'girl' person is gone far far away already..

My only regret in this entire process is that I didn't get help sooner. Your therapist isn't going to force you into anything, they're just going to help you figure out what's right for you. If you can get your parents on board, then absolutely take the opportunity. The sooner you get help, the sooner you can get on with becoming a better you.

Hugs!

5 hours ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

Once you get a professionals opinion then it is way easier to proceed with them at least knowing you are not just making it up or trying to be trendy or whatever.  

Thank's I think this is a pretty good idea actually thank's so much I'll try in a week or two to be extremely sure!!

Ans thank's Jackie C. I actually saw a lot of posts in this forum when people said that they regreted waiting. That is why I will indead wait 2 weeks MAXIMUM.. (scary)

And for everyone to understand the potato thing is easy to understand: Potatoes arer my family

67938af6bdc376adf49d366dbff1a5a5.jpg

• Forum Moderator
34 minutes ago, Ethan da potato said:

hat is why I will indead wait 2 weeks MAXIMUM.. (scary)

Oh sure. You and your functioning, funded health care system. I bet it won't even put you into debt-slavery for the rest of your days. ?

Best of luck sweetie! I hope everything works out for you! At the very least you'll have a better handle on who you are and why you have these feelings.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

At least you're a cute potato. ?

I look more like a telephone pole with (barely) breasts so... what can you do?

Hugs!

I just completed my telephone appointment with my gender therapist this morning. Therapy continues to give me valuable insight and a positive path forward. It's really very helpful potatoes and other living things.

TA

I agree with Jackie. I wish I would began my process much younger..it really helps psychically and mentally 

20191118_111459.jpg

Thanx guys I really needed that plus thanx Alex C it is nice (like da picture) ?

Potato... What if potato were gone???? Well it would be the end of the world...?<- that thing is a potato..