• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Blasted dang male shoulder slope!

ShawnaLeigh

Is it me or are we MTF always going to have the dreaded bra strap slip like 8000 a day?!?!

I am mostly wearing a AhhBra Racerback style bra so the design will not let the straps separate and this works super but I need to wear a few bras for the thinner straps and a prettier look under certain tops.  

Then I'm reaching into my top all day long pulling the straps off the very end of both shoulders.  Frustrating does not cover it.

Don't even get me started on keeping a dang purse strap on my shoulders.  Even when I try to scrunch them up higher.

Please help. 

• Forum Moderator

I think that slip is just in the nature of some designs.  By the way i finally found an old leather coach purse that stays put 99% of the time.  A blessing.

Hugs,

Charlize

37 minutes ago, Charlize said:

By the way i finally found an old leather coach purse that stays put 99% of the time.  A blessing.

OMG what is it?!?!  LOL

I've been fairly heavy into buy Coach purses and wallets lately off eBay.  I may need to expand this.

Dansko clogs as well.  Just LOVE those shoes for work.  

Most of the nurses wear them too and we share our designs with one another now. Its great!

• Forum Moderator

I usually wear my purse with the strap over the opposite shoulder.  It can’t slip off that way, and it makes it harder to steal.

39 minutes ago, KathyLauren said:

I usually wear my purse with the strap over the opposite shoulder.  It can’t slip off that way, and it makes it harder to steal.

None of mine are designed this way.  Shorter taps for it being up tight under your arm or hung over your bent forearm.  I know there are ways to hold your upper arm and "clamp" the purse to your body but it just slips if you lapse this at all.

• Forum Moderator

I cheat. I've got a couple of pair of adhesive pasties with the "bunny rabbit" design that adhere and keep the girls looking like I'm wearing a bra when I'm really not. No strap to slip and they were something like $10.

Hugs!

I have found a little hooky thing that you can put between the straps on your back to make it look like a racer back style and this may work but I'm trying to hide straps as best as I can.  Though not completely necessary to "hide" them anymore other then it looks better.

I can see using the pasties thingies for an evening out with a strapless dress or something similar but not for all day long daily use. 

It would not work for me anyways.  I run up and down stairs all day long and those girls would bounce their way free!  LOL

• Forum Moderator
32 minutes ago, ShawnaLeigh said:

I can see using the pasties thingies for an evening out with a strapless dress or something similar but not for all day long daily use. 

It would not work for me anyways.  I run up and down stairs all day long and those girls would bounce their way free!  LOL

They really don't. I've worn them all day from exercising in the morning to bedtime at night. Of course mine are tiny, but the small size (the brand I use comes in A/B and C/D) keeps them where they're supposed to be when I'm running, jumping, etc... They hold in place surprisingly well.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Back to your original question about drooping straps, chinch it up just a little bit.  Adjust until you're satisfied.  

• Admin

A ) Without being obvious about it, look around and observe how many Cis woman are pulling up their bra straps all the time.  You will not feel as alone.

B ) Look in a store that sells sewing notions and you will find some bra strap ribbons that you can attach to keep them tied together side to side.

• Admin
4 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

I had the same slippage issue early on, and the same solution.  I love cross-body bags.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator
4 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

I have been using my current purse since I started transitioning but it’s not a crossbody style.  I love it it has everything I need but it has two straps and one is ALWAYS slipping off my shoulder.  Last week, I had to buy another with a single strap design.  It’s different but without that second strap, I never have to worry about slippage.  The crossbody purses don’t seem to work well with some of my outfits.

Susan R?

I saw that one I own can configure the strap either short or cross body.  I like cross body too and have been wearing my laptop case this way for years.  It’s comfortable for me to have my purse like this too. 

1 hour ago, Susan R said:

The crossbody purses don’t seem to work well with some of my outfits.

I can see this as an issue for some outfits but I dress business casual for work so it will be ok. Something formal will get a wristlet at the most. 

As for the purse issue, I have pretty much given up on shoulder bags.  All of my purses are handbags instead.  With shoulder bags my hair was always getting pulled as well as the sliding off the shoulder issue, both problems drove me nuts.  So, I optioned for handbags pretty much exclusively and they serve me well.  They did take a little getting used to, because they do require a hand to hold them.  However, I've become quite adept at sliding the handles up my my forearm when I need to use my hand.  

Hugs,

Sally  

• Forum Moderator
9 hours ago, Sally Stone said:

With shoulder bags my hair was always getting pulled as well as the sliding off the shoulder issue, both problems drove me nuts.

I still get my hair pulled by shoulder purses on occasion. It was a much worse issue when I wore wigs.  I remedied this a little after I sewed in 6 wig clips into each wig. This stopped the wig from changing position. Bobby-pins alone weren’t enough. Even then, I still got the wig caught by the shoulder strap and it was annoying. Unfortunately, I prefer them over any other style of purse. Oh well, you win some and lose some...lol

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

I have found, at least with me, the problem has probably been a wrongly sized or adjusted bra. I used to get the problem often early on but these days I find it is just a case of adjusting the straps on the odd occasion I have issues. Now I have a feeling that the main problem was trying to use a bra with far too large a cup size which meant that the straps were effectively always loose.

I usually wear my shoulder bags cross-shoulder for security but prefer the look on the same side. That way I can position my bag to the front in some situations if I need to, and it won't fall off.

Tracy