• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How to avoid catching COVID-19?

The Viv Element

So I need to get a refill for my HRT tomorrow before this crisis gets any worse, we've had 14 confirmed cases and more possible cases coming soon because of the events some of them attended during the weekend :( I have asthma so I feel like taking extra precautions are necessary for me, the problem is I don't have any gloves or face masks OR handsanitizer .... So i was wondering if anyone knows any creative solutions I could do to protect myself... Right now I've only come up with plastic bags tightly wrapped above my nose to under the chin, as well as a bag over each hand. I'm not sure if that'll help at all though.

• Admin

The plastic bags are a bad idea, they will not work and can cause potential breathing harm themselves.  I have controlled asthma myself and all I have been told to do is get in, do business with a plan, and get out ASAP.  If your doctor could have the scrip filled at a small neighborhood pharmacy without a large people flow, that would help.  Big item is simply the longer you spend in risky areas the more chance of getting anything.  Maybe you could order ahead of time and just pick it up at the front cashier's desk, and add in the hand goo although I got told the soap alone will be the best. 

Okay thanks Vicky! I'll put a hot damp cloth with soap rinsed into it then put it in a ziploc bag, then take it out right after whenever i touch something. I also cant seem to EVER stop touching my face no matter how many times i tell myself i have to stop. frig my life.

• Admin

Yes, touching your face is not good but really hard not to do.  The best bet is to simply wash your hands after touching any potentially contaminated surface.  Soap and water is supposedly much better than hand sanitizer anyway, as long as you do it long enough.  If you have non-porous gloves that would help, as long as you don't touch your face with your gloved fingers.

None of this is foolproof, and like Vicky said, spending as little time outside the house is the best thing to do, but if you have to go out please try to avoid others if possible.

Carolyn Marie

ngl, I spend 23 hours a day in my room anyways. but yeah the only thing I can think of touching is the buttons on the machine to pay & the bag which will have the pills inside. my store has a sliding automatic door so ill enter through that entrance, & if I see someone walking towards me, ill try to take an alternative route to avoid inhaling whatever they may have exhaled. I just genuinely thought plastic bags would be a big protection as they're practically impenetrable unless you had intents to tear it. 

• Forum Moderator

It seems that masks are better at keeping someone who has been exposed from passing the virus than they are at keeping you safe.  One of teachers from my grandson's school tested positive and one of his friends is sick.  I'm going to wear a mask when i go to get groceries this morning.  Hope to make the store early before many folks get there but we need food.

Hugs,

Charlize

Soak a bunch of rubbing alcohol and put those in a zip lock to keep them moist.  Its the main ingredient in hand sanitizer that kills the virus.  If your not wearing makeup you can use these to clean your face as well or any skin for that matter.  Heck you can even wipe buttons down first.

Don't stress about the masks.  They are not a small enough micron level to stop a virus from penetrating at all  Not even close.  However the transmission of this virus is not technically "air borne" as it is transferred by larger droplets.  Such as sneezing or coughing.  If those hit you in the face or eye or even breathed in yes they will contract.  So the mask will catch those but if you do get coughed or sneezed on discard the mask immediately!  Alcohol the crap out of your face and hands.  You can literally suck in the virus threw the mask once it dries.  

s-l500.jpg.9af9881ab88e928cf46a6397ef2291c7.jpg

Pick it up sporting this glamorous 2 piece with matchiing footwear and bag. Only way to be sure?

UK Advise is  wash hands when in contact with a foreign objects such as shopping trolley handles and such like. You can use hand sanitiser but its not as good as hand washing. keep a two metre invisible ring around you.. Kind of personal space.

My advise is wear the suit. Cant go wrong then

Wash your hands routinely as if your were a surgeon scrubbing in (or if you've had chemical warfare training, as if you're decontaminating your hands).

Avoid touching your face.

Touch elevator buttons, etc. with the back of your knuckles.

Touch door handles with your sleeve or wear gloves.

TA

• 1 month later...

Over the few weeks or so... doctors in Sweden, Finland, UK, India and other nations have all released reports saying that the difference in a mild case of COVID-19 vs a severe case of the viral infection is directly tied to vitamin D serum levels, specifically vitamin D3. and even determined a blood serum level number that seems to be where the critical level is... below that and the immune system is more likely to respond with  a cytokine storm and put you in the ICU. Taking 2000 IU of vitamin D3 supplements (as cholecalciferol) is cheap, safe, and could spell the difference between being admitted to a hospital ICU at the brink of death versus spending a few weeks feeling really crappy at home in your own bed.

Tons of scientific papers are out there about this  now..... here's one https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200507121353.htm

Also I'm a firm believer that if you supplement with zinc and a zinc ionophore at the earliest signs of an infection with this virus, you might be doing yourself a lot of good. The science behind zinc being able to block the RdRt transcriptase enzyme the virus needs to replicate copies of its RNA is sound science, but the window of opportunity where it may be effective at thwarting a full blown infection s only open very early in an infection, before it gets into the lungs. Be safe everyone. If 80% of everyone wore even just a cloth facemask, it would greatly lower the transmission rate.

• Admin

Please remember that NONE of us here are actual doctors and taking over the counter supplements without letting your doctor know can be as bad a problem as the COVID19 because only your doctor will know which OTC meds agree with your other medications.  I am an example where Iron supplements can be very dangerous to me due to a unique DNA pattern of my blood.  Be careful and check with your MD before taking vitamin supplements.

• 2 months later...

I love to educate on this sort of topic. I have been a COVID Intensive Care Unit RN since early February. Luckily, I have never contracted the virus. Ive been a nurse in the ICU for close to 10 years and only been sick once from a pretty significant Flu. 

Biggest things;

1. WASH YOUR HANDS! 20 seconds at least - wash from wrist downward and rinse in the same fashion. 

2. Hand sanitizer when washing is not an option; but make sure the Alcohol content is 60-70% at minimum.

3. One thing people fail to remember, such frequent washing/sanitizer causes damage to your skin. Remember to use a fragrant - free lotion; Safe Guard and Nivea make wonderful kinds at a low cost now. Or alternatively use Vitamin-E oil directly to hands.

4. Wear a mask over nose AND mouth and NEVER pull it down below your chin. Pulling it down exposes the inside of the mask to any contaminants present on your neck. Always remove the mask and fold it to protect the inside or pull one loop off and let it dangle if needing a brief break.

5. 6 feet is ideal, but make it more if possible; being around someone for greater than 10 minutes closer than 6 feet is a huge risk.

6. I work closely with Infectious Disease MD's and Advanced Practice Providers in my ICU - especially with our ID Physicians, they currently have no supplemental OTC recommendations at current other than staying hydrated and watching for signs and symptoms. Which they are always adding something to it! Fever is NOT the sign you should focus on, so many people are getting sick and never experience a fever!

Lastly, grab a Glad sandwich bag and carry some Lysol wipes with you at all time, they are so helpful. Do not leave them or hand sanitizer in a hot car or environment! Reduced effectiveness!

Kylie

• Forum Moderator

Thank you Kylie.  It was definitely illuminating to know about mask storage and handling.

We are unfortunately going to be facing this epidemic for some time now.  The more we know(and act on) the safer we and others will be.

Hugs,

Charlize

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 128 Guests (See full list)

• MaryEllen
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • VickySGV
    • Mmindy